PGY2 IR/DR Resident (DO), AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NecrotizingFasciitis

IR/DR PGY-2 (DO)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My pre-med advisors told me not to do pre-med when I initially switched, so SDN literally helped me through all of undergrad; I very literally would not be here today without SDN.

The people on here (a few of which I still see giving advice today in the threads) helped encourage/guide me through undergrad, helped me build my medical school application strategy & helped me get accepted to a few DO schools. I'm sure the "what are my chances" & other threads I made during those times are buried here somewhere.

Initial switch to Pre-med: 2.4 GPA
GPA at the time of med school application: 3.3 (505 MCAT)
Acceptances: 4 (I chose KCU; loved it)
Residency: integrated IR/DR, current PGY2

Ask me anything!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Were you interested in IR early on or did you discover it sometime later during med school? If early, how did you show your interest in ways that you think may have helped to match successfully?

Given that IR/DR is growing in competitiveness with each match cycle, do you feel that anything in particular helped you standout among your MD counterparts, and/or make you a competitive applicant?

I'm a DO, just for the sake of clarity.

Everybody that applies DR or IR is smart so of course you need a well-balanced app with decent scores, but the two things I think helped me stand out are:

1) Hobbies: I'm a huge music guy. Music-related stuff was sprinkled throughout my entire app from my personal statement to my work experiences (I was a guitarist for a metal band 4 years in undergrad). 75% of my interview questions were about this; it made interviews a breeze. Plus, it's obviously something I love, so I'd imagine I was perceived in a more positive light than I otherwise would have been because I was enthusiastic & excited to talk about it.

2) Work Experience: I was asked a lot (maybe 10-15% of interview questions) about the many jobs I had scattered throughout undergrad & even in medical school (in college I worked in a toothbrush factory, my colleges' buffet place making grilled cheese all day, Panera Bread delivery driver, beer/wine warehouse worker, beer/wine merchandiser, entry-level radiology position in undergrad (essentially just answering phones), & in med school I worked for SDN, StatPearls & First Aid at different periods of time in medical school as some more "academic" ones.) Programs love people that have had shi**y jobs; it builds character & adds a lot of perspective to your life experience. List every job from college & med school in your app when you apply to residency.

As a side note: don't ever forget about your hobbies, no matter how busy/stressed you get in undergrad, med school or residency. If your mental health isn't in check, nothing else will be.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Were you interested in IR early on or did you discover it sometime later during med school? If early, how did you show your interest in ways that you think may have helped to match successfully?

TL;DR: I found IR late & you really don't have to do a ton to show interest, because most medical students find IR very late in their schooling.

I found out about IR because of COVID at the beginning of my 4th year of medical school.

I was trying to get a letter of recommendation to apply diagnostic radiology at the beginning of 4th year, but COVID was very new & you couldn't get DR rotations anywhere because you couldn't 6 foot space. A program in my local area (UMKC, specifically at St. Lukes) allowed me to do an IR rotation so I could get a radiology letter to apply to diagnostic radiology programs (when you apply DR, an IR letter can be used.) I clicked really well with the radiology department chair there who is a huge music guy (he literally plays in a relatively popular AC/DC cover band called KC/DC; look them up! He dresses up as Angus Young lol). So anyways we clicked really well & he kinda convinced me to apply to both IR & DR programs; I had a great experience there.

Ways you can show interest in IR early:
- get involved/become a student member of SIR (they have lots of opportunity to get involved as a medical student)
- attend a national (or regional) conference (if you're able)
- do research in IR (I know it's hard to come by; SIR can help you get connected with research though if interested)
- do a rotation in medical school & a Sub-I in 4th year

Additional ways to help show interest in radiology in general:
- join/start your schools' radiology interest group
- become a student member of ACR, RSNA & your state-radiological society
- attend radiology conferences (RSNA) (if you're able)

Of note: you really don't have to do a TON to show interest. A rotation in medical school & becoming a student member of SIR will likely suffice as "interest" in the field. Anything past that is extra credit.

Reactions: 2 users
What quartile were you at KCU? I'm a first year at the KC campus

Nice, that's the campus I was at as well.

Pre-Clinical: 2nd quartile
Clinical: 2nd quartile
How much of a difference does quartile make? I'm probably 3rd quartile at this point at best. Also how broadly did you apply

How much of a difference does quartile make? I'm probably 3rd quartile at this point at best. Also how broadly did you apply

I can only speak anecdotally to my experience applying & being involved in the interview process at my program the past two years, but I would say shoot for >50th percentile if you can & try to avoid the bottom quartile. If the remainder of your app is solid it won't make a big difference though.

I can only speak anecdotally to my experience applying & being involved in the interview process at my program the past two years, but I would say shoot for >50th percentile if you can & try to avoid the bottom quartile. If the remainder of your app is solid it won't make a big difference though.

easier said than done haha

What was your step 2 score range if you don’t mind sharing?