AMA: M4 DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadDOdoc

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a current M4 DO applying into a competitive specialty (IR). I also have tons of experience advising pre-med students on MCAT prep, application strategy (MD&DO), application writing, personal statement advise, and interview prep. I sat on my schools admissions committee/interview panel.

Hit me with any questions or DM me for more personalized questions/help. I am also happy to meet over zoom to discuss things further if you'd like. Love helping others and passing down the info I learned to those who need it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What was your MCAT score?
501 which was the lowest in my class that had an average of a 508/509. With that being said, the way to study for the MCAT has changed so much with UWORLD and Sketchy etc. Def found the premium way to study for these types of exams and it lead me to succeed on the USMLE's!

501 which was the lowest in my class that had an average of a 508/509. With that being said, the way to study for the MCAT has changed so much with UWORLD and Sketchy etc. Def found the premium way to study for these types of exams and it lead me to succeed on the USMLE's!
what was your Step 1 score?

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you realize you wanted to pursue a competitive specialty, and have you done any specialty specific research? What tips do you have for incoming DO students who are interested in competitive fields? Thanks!

When did you realize you wanted to pursue a competitive specialty, and have you done any specialty specific research? What tips do you have for incoming DO students who are interested in competitive fields? Thanks!
I looked into every specialty in my free time and did a lot of research. I think anyone can get into a competitive specialty it just takes hard work and most important networking. My tips for DO students interested in a competitive field is obviously do well on STEP 2, participate on some research projects/conference posters in your desired field, and use each research opportunity as a way to network + have attending advocate for you to program directors.

The earlier you know you want to do a competitive field the more time you have to set your self up for success.

How did you study for Step and Comlex? Did you study for step then cram OMM a few days before Comlex? I did well on the MCAT with Uworld, do you think that with some anki decks would be good for step and Comlex?

Studied for STEP mainly for 10 months and then the extra OMM for the 5 days in-between USMLE and COMLEX. There is a pretty well proven strategy for success for the boards called UFAPS +anki (uworld, FA, Pathoma, Sketchy) and if you give your self enough time should be able to pass easily without question (now that scores are P/F).

Studied for STEP mainly for 10 months and then the extra OMM for the 5 days in-between USMLE and COMLEX. There is a pretty well proven strategy for success for the boards called UFAPS +anki (uworld, FA, Pathoma, Sketchy) and if you give your self enough time should be able to pass easily without question (now that scores are P/F).
Thanks I'm going to take step for sure then.

How many invites have you received so far? What is your backup specialty?

Congrats man! I know of many very good USMD and DO applicants for rads this year that don't have 10+ invites for rads yet.... can you give a break down of your invites? Upper/mid/low/community?