PGY-1 Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldfishPharmD

walking on a dream
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I thought I'd start a thread for those of us about to start our residencies! Figure it'd be nice to talk about preparing and how things are going once we start?

When does everyone start and are you all ready? :)

I start July 1st. Still in the process of getting licensed, prepping for NAPLEX/MPJE, and getting ready to move. I'll be moving 10 days before residency starts. I hope that'll give me enough time to get settled in!

I hope everyone else is doing well and not freaking out too much! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Goldfish! I'm starting on July 1st too - it's coming up so soon! I'm scheduled to take my Boards in June so I've been studying. G'luck with the move!

Start 24th of June and I still haven't gotten my ATT -___-'' The board told me I should be getting it soon. My program requires me to have taken the test by 24th at latest. Basically I"m pretty stressed already...

At least its in a nice location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. That's pretty fast to have to get the NAPLEX done. Most places I looked at said 2 months after starting to be licensed. I'm waiting for my ATT now. Starting to get nervous about the test.

Start 24th of June and I still haven't gotten my ATT -___-'' The board told me I should be getting it soon. My program requires me to have taken the test by 24th at latest. Basically I"m pretty stressed already...

Wow that's really early. My program didn't have that requirement - I just want to have them done before residency, one less thing to worry about :)

and ATT came around 1 week after graduation for me. Hope you get yours soon!

Looks like it all worked out for me in the end. I will be starting July 1st as well and have received my ATT so I am studying to take my NAPLEX/MPJE soon! I can't wait to start but nervous all at the same time...a happy nervous off course :D

Looks like it all worked out for me in the end. I will be starting July 1st as well and have received my ATT so I am studying to take my NAPLEX/MPJE soon! I can't wait to start but nervous all at the same time...a happy nervous off course :D

Glad to hear everything worked out for you! Good luck on the NAPLEX/MPJE. I'm sure you'll do great! :D

I have a quick question: I know there are a few states that require a certain number of "intern" hours beyond what are required during clerkships. can someone point me to some resources where I can read more about this? Thanks!

I start residency tomorrow!

Moved and settled into my new place!

I have a quick question: I know there are a few states that require a certain number of "intern" hours beyond what are required during clerkships. can someone point me to some resources where I can read more about this? Thanks!

I just went to each state's BOP website that I had programs I was interested in to look at the requirements.

I start residency tomorrow!

Moved and settled into my new place!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes! :)

Starting July 1st. NAPLEX next Monday. Can't wait to stop studying for the NAPLEX

I agree with everyone else; that is a really early deadline. I would double check that is correct deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
June 24th is my deadlines too! Both my MPJE and Naplex are Wednesday!!!

Yeah, a bunch of my classmates have taken both NAPLEX and MPJE and I'm still waiting for my ATT (in a different state). :p

I start on the 24th. The first two days are just new hospital employee orientation so shouldn't be too bad. I'm taking MPJE today and have NAPLEX scheduled for the 21st. I got my ATT about 2 weeks after graduation and when I logged onto to pick a date there was only 6/21 or 6/22 left in June. Most people I know are taking it in July. Plus since I'm in NYS a lot of peeps have to do the Part III which was yesterday and today.

I went online to check and eligibility has been granted for me to take the NAPLEX/MPJE, so my ATT should be coming soon. They work super fast because I just turned in my paperwork last Friday (had to get a bunch of stuff taken care of beforehand that held me up).

NAPLEX isn't hard to pass, 75 score is easy. While I was a resident, we did have one who failed MPJE, which I admit, even I wasn't sure what I got when I left the test centre. (I got a 93, but I left feeling it could be a 70 in a worst case senario). However, know what the P&P of your residency site is, our VA allowed one more test, up until end of September to pass. Luckily, she did pass that the second time. Better to study up the first time. I was studying up at Panera bread every weekday for 2 hours on jurisprudence before the test. Overkill? Yes, but better safe than sorry. And it's free coffee refill yo! Hope you don't have any cardiac problem. :)

Residency wise, my experience is that it's all about time organization. If you are at a site that provide a list of research project, get in early, and pound on it before the mid year. With that, I was the resident that sat around pretty when others were scrambling for deadlines, and the only one of the four offered a job there at the end. Front load, front load, don't ease yourself in. While others might make say that residency is a cooperative sport, but it's just as much a zero sum game.

A zero sum game is one where one person's gain comes at another person's loss, as the total sum (eg pharmacy budget) is a constant fixed number. One of the biggest component of managers think about is how to get maximize the value out of your budget. If only have the money to hire one residents at year end, who will it be? So plan ahead, adapt to changes, make decisions rationally.

Morality and loyalty should not be discarded, as it has a non-tangible value that may be priceless. At the same time, do not let emotions cloud sound judgement. Weight the people vs. monetary value. Each individual must choose what they can live with. I personally would feel bad taking from someone who treated me well, at the same time, you must know what your responsibilities to your wife/family are.

Oops, sorry. Too much beer, maybe a little to ahead to matter for most new residents.

Last edited:
Some of that went over my head, xiphoid, but I got the important points! :D

I just got my ATT (like 30 minutes ago). The state I'm moving to works fast considering everything was a paper application. I mailed it off less than a week ago, and my ATT came tonight.

I'm taking my MPJE on June 27th before my residency starts. I wanted to take my NAPLEX before my residency started also, but no dates left in June. I will take it July 13th, which is a Saturday and hopefully won't interfere with residency duties. Good luck to those that haven't taken their test yet, and I hope things are going well for those that have started already!

I wanted to take both exams before my residency also but no appointments left for June..:( I scheduled the Naplex for a Saturday in July. I'm hoping I don't have to ask for that day off and I don't want to start off on the wrong foot by asking my director for time off, and this is at a VA hospital so I know they are strict...I'm stressing out, anybody in a similar situation?

Passed MPJE! Now onto the Naplex on Friday this week :)

I wouldn't stress about taking them after residency starts. One of my co-residents emailed me to say she hasn't even gotten her ATT yet so she hasn't been able to schedule either. I'm sure the places you're working at want you to get your license and it's not like you can control when Pearson has openings.

I wanted to take both exams before my residency also but no appointments left for June..:( I scheduled the Naplex for a Saturday in July. I'm hoping I don't have to ask for that day off and I don't want to start off on the wrong foot by asking my director for time off, and this is at a VA hospital so I know they are strict...I'm stressing out, anybody in a similar situation?

I'm taking my MPJE on June 27th, but I couldn't schedule my NAPLEX until after residency starts. I also schedule for a Saturday, so I hope that's okay as well. I'm sure your program will be understanding, you have to take this test.

If you're registered for the NAPLEX on a Saturday and are just hoping it will be ok, email your directors NOW. It helps with planning and scheduling on the program's end if they know as far in advance as possible. You don't want to make things difficult on day 1. And you want to know as early as possible if they aren't flexible.

I spoke with my director and was told whatever date I pick is fine and they are willing to work with me. :)

Does anyone know if our residency will give us a white coat or whether we are suppose to provide one? Thanks everyone and good luck with boards!

Does anyone know if our residency will give us a white coat or whether we are suppose to provide one? Thanks everyone and good luck with boards!

I think the norm is for them to give you, but you might want to verify with your PD.

Most but not all will provide at least one. If they only provide one, you may want to buy a second for when you want to wash one. Having a second coat made not doing laundry at midnight in the middle of the week much easier.

Phew! My program requires us to pass both the NAPLEX and MPJE by 6/21 and luckily I just got my passing scores for both. Glad to have that over with.

waiting on my naplex score and starting on Monday!

I'm starting on July 1, but my license was processed earlier this week. Nice to have a little time off before starting. :)

First day tomorrow!~!!!!! I'm so nervous I could throw up. Thank god the first month is orientation. Also get my naplex score back sometime during the beginning of this week :oops:

I feel like they're going to be like, "Really? we picked this guy?!?"

Good luck! Our new crop starts tomorrow too! Orientation means, I'm resident free for a few months.

First day tomorrow as well. I'm super nervous. Sigh, I keep thinking what did I get myself into! I'm just going to really give it 110% and hope for the best! Good luck tomorrow, everyone! Keep us updated! :D

I could not sleep last night. It was in and out sleep. I don't know why I was so nervous. I had general new employee orientation this morning with a bunch of people just learning about benefits, patient safety, etc. Pharmacy orientation starts Wednesday. I guess I'll get nervous tomorrow night. :p

My first day went really well. Was out early in the afternoon and because I am employed under a University I get holidays off so hello 4 day weekend! Tommorrow will be a full day due to IRB/Research training, yikes!

I don't know if I'm off the 4th. Probably not. :p

My first day went really well. Was out early in the afternoon and because I am employed under a University I get holidays off so hello 4 day weekend! Tommorrow will be a full day due to IRB/Research training, yikes!

If your site has a list of research projects for residents to choose from. My recommendation is, pick early and pick the one that's most quantitative in nature.

Waiting might cost you the project you like and delay paperworks. Going with quantitative over qualitative ones is my preference since (1) it's less gray "does this count?" and easier to explain/defend. (2) data collection is often be mined from electronic medical record, minimizing reading/searching through notes. (3) number 2 allows larger sample size and improve statistical significance. (4) data analysis boils down to statistical analysis such as T-test, Chi-squared, ANOVA, which can done by software. (5) people prefer these since they are the kind that's published in journals and not nebulous to understand.

I know lots of people hate numbers and statistics, but if you get comfortable with this and have support lined up (e.g mining EMR and statistical software), you can collect, analyze, and have results in couple of weeks from data collection. The results will render nicely into charts/graphs, and publishable if well designed and not extensively studied.

If your site has a list of research projects for residents to choose from. My recommendation is, pick early and pick the one that's most quantitative in nature.

Waiting might cost you the project you like and delay paperworks. Going with quantitative over qualitative ones is my preference since (1) it's less gray "does this count?" and easier to explain/defend. (2) data collection is often be mined from electronic medical record, minimizing reading/searching through notes. (3) number 2 allows larger sample size and improve statistical significance. (4) data analysis boils down to statistical analysis such as T-test, Chi-squared, ANOVA, which can done by software. (5) people prefer these since they are the kind that's published in journals and not nebulous to understand.

I know lots of people hate numbers and statistics, but if you get comfortable with this and have support lined up (e.g mining EMR and statistical software), you can collect, analyze, and have results in couple of weeks from data collection. The results will render nicely into charts/graphs, and publishable if well designed and not extensively studied.

Very good advice! I will get some training in research and methods and go from there. Hopefully I will have a better understanding and a topic for my research by early August. It will be a long but well worth it year.

Anyone else feel slightly overwhelmed already? :p My home office is already covered in stacks of documents and the first week isn't even done. I about stroked out when we went over the requirements for the year. Busy busy busy! :smuggrin:

I kind of felt overwhelmed yesterday. We went over like three different projects they wanted me to take part of this year. However, today I felt better. I spent the day with an awesome pharmacist. Super sweet. She'll be my preceptor next month. They went above and beyond to have the program tailored to my interest, and I'm super excited that I get to dive in very soon. :)

I feel overwhelmed a little too. I've been introduced to like 4 software systems that we'll be expected to operate.

I'm not very techy :p

Get a good plan together to work on those projects. Start things early.