PGY 1 Neurology Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psymed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What books are you supposed to read during your Neurology rotation as a Psych PGY1? Are there any specific areas that one should focus on from a Psych point of view?

Members don't see this ad.

dude, inpatient neurology is depressing. It's a stroke service, that's it. You might see a couple of other things, but it's primarily a stroke service, so learn how to manage strokes, i.e., permissive BP, start them on a statin, and get them ready for rehab. That's all you do. Diagnose and do little to treat.

Yeah, neuro has the worst diseases: CVA, ALS, CJD, etc. Clinical neurology for psychiatrists (David, Myland, Kaufman) is a good book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone else recommended Kaufman too. I'll definitely get it. Thanks!

The child neurologists I'm currently working with recommend Clinical Pediatric Neurology by Fenichel.

The child neurologists I'm currently working with recommend Clinical Pediatric Neurology by Fenichel.

That's a great book, but not for reading. It's good for looking up all of the "I'll never see this again unless incest becomes mandatory" diseases that you'll inevitably see on child neurology.

Just wanted to post my experience regarding Kaufman. I think its a great book.Very readable. I would have to say however, that some of the multiple choice questions at the end of the chapters are kind of weird. I hope the boards aren't like that.

Bottom line........you won't regret buying the book.

Kaufman is a great book, not a hard read either. Every psychiatrist needs it as a reference, but its not something you will use daily. For me, it is a bit much right now, I'm going to wait until my next neuro rotation. I just read a bunch of neuro review stuff for step 3, and it is serving me well on my PGY1 neuro rotation right now.