PGSP Stanford?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pearl Nipper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back from the PGSP Stanford Consortium? ANyone decided to attend in the fall?

Members don't see this ad.

Pearl Nipper said:
Has anyone heard back from the PGSP Stanford Consortium? ANyone decided to attend in the fall?

I was accepted a few weeks ago and am strongly considering going there. How about yourself?

another anon said:
I was accepted a few weeks ago and am strongly considering going there. How about yourself?

I got in today :) I think I just might have to accept. Aside from the hefty tuition, the program does it for me. WHat about you? Where else are you considering? What aspects of the program are making it difficult for you to decide whether to accept? I'd love to hear more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pearl Nipper said:
I got in today :) I think I just might have to accept. Aside from the hefty tuition, the program does it for me. WHat about you? Where else are you considering? What aspects of the program are making it difficult for you to decide whether to accept? I'd love to hear more.

Congrats on your acceptance! Far and away the biggest downside to the program is tuition, but other minor things I'm not crazy about include:

1. Accreditation - I know there's a 99% chance they'll be accredited next year, but it's still a nagging concern.
2. Facilities - for the tuition we would pay, the classrooms (both at PGSP and Stanford) should be much better.
3. Training - The other PsyD programs I'm considering have in-house clinics, which really appeals to me. PGSP-Stanford's relationship with the Palo Alto VA sounds really cool, but I'm a little concerned about the various clinics where one could be placed and how that would affect the quality of training and supervision.

However, when I visited, the research opportunities and faculty definitely made the program much more attractive. Plus, the students seem genuinely thrilled to be there.

Are there any other downsides for you besides the tuition? What do you like most about the program?

Last edited:
pengy said:
Hi- I am heading out there this Friday to interview. I suppose I will have more input to offer on this thread after I visit. How long (after your interview) did it take for them to give you a decision? Was the interview day informative?
Thanks

It took 2 1/2 weeks to hear back from them after I visited, but since they probably want to get all offers out before April 1, you might hear back sooner. The interview day was extremely informative, and there were so many opportunities to ask questions. Good luck this Friday! :luck:

pengy said:
Hi- I am heading out there this Friday to interview. I suppose I will have more input to offer on this thread after I visit. How long (after your interview) did it take for them to give you a decision? Was the interview day informative?
Thanks
It took them about a week and a half to get back to me. Yes, the interview day is extremely informative and the students all seem really pleased with the program and their ability to make changes in the program (since it's such a young program.) By the end of the day, I felt as if I'd asked every possible question. Good Luck!

another anon said:
Congrats on your acceptance! Far and away the biggest downside to the program is tuition, but other minor things I'm not crazy about include:

1. Accreditation - I know there's a 99% chance they'll be accredited next year, but it's still a nagging concern.
2. Facilities - for the tuition we would pay, the classrooms (both at PGSP and Stanford) should be much better.
3. Training - The other PsyD programs I'm considering have in-house clinics, which really appeals to me. PGSP-Stanford's relationship with the Palo Alto VA sounds really cool, but I'm a little concerned about the various clinics where one could be placed and how that would affect the quality of training and supervision.

However, when I visited, the research opportunities and faculty definitely made the program much more attractive. Plus, the students seem genuinely thrilled to be there.

Are there any other downsides for you besides the tuition? What do you like most about the program?

Yeah, the APA issue was definitely a concern for me. I guess I figure that both PGSP and Stanford have positive academic reputations...I'm willing to take the risk of joining them pre-accreditation. I'm sure the first graduating class (next year) must be nervous that they will not be accredited before graduation.

I agree with the facilities too. I interviewed at the Wright and loved the fact that the institute is housed in a big converted frat house. It felt like there was a real sense of community. I couldn't figure out where the "heart" of the Consortium program was...It seems like most of the class time is spent at Stanford. BUt being in the Psychiatry dept. gives it a medical feel which could be good and bad. I was not impressed with the PGSP space (we were assured that the lack of attention to detail was due to the fact that they're moving buildings soon...)

The classroom setup is interesting to me as well. I like the fact that you get to know your cohort ridiculously well by the end of the 3 years. On the other hand, I'd hope that people would not fall into specific group roles that would be hard to change over time. Programs such as the WRight appeal to me b/c of the varied class sizes and the different electives that are available.

But in general, after visiting the school and talking with the students and faculty, I feel like it is the most rigorous and thorough program that I applied to. The awesome and talented faculty is unbeatable. The infinite opportunities in research and other aspects of clinical psych prepares students to function as well-rounded psychologists. The emphasis on applying empirically supported treatments and research might help squash some of the stigma that surrounds the PsyD.

I'm sure its a good program, it just seems ridiculously, ridiculously expensive.

I don't understand how people are not worried financially about going to a place like PGSP (unless your parents are very financially supportive). It seems like the recent grads on this forum keep stating that PhDs have a hard time making it in a general private practice and paying back the loans...

positivepsych said:
I'm sure its a good program, it just seems ridiculously, ridiculously expensive.

I don't understand how people are not worried financially about going to a place like PGSP (unless your parents are very financially supportive). It seems like the recent grads on this forum keep stating that PhDs have a hard time making it in a general private practice and paying back the loans...

You mean Psy.D.'s? PhDs in general have very little debt.

Anyone else interviewing at PGSP-Stanford on April 7th? I'm *really*hoping they'll be able to give me an answer by the 15th!

Jon Snow said:
From their website. . .

PsyD
2005-2006
Flat Rate Per Quarter 9,662
Fee Per Quarter 1,244

That's per quarter!!!! That's insane. Anyone considering this without being independently wealthy is absolutely unhinged. The degree will NEVER pay for itself.

We all know how much it costs. Thanks for your input.

Jon Snow said:
From their website. . .

PsyD
2005-2006
Flat Rate Per Quarter 9,662
Fee Per Quarter 1,244

You also have to factor in the cost of living in that part of California. For 5 years that would easily approach a quarter million! Not trying to be a downer to those applying but that's crazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pearl Nipper said:

Yep, was accepted there :). LOVE the program and their extraordinary faculty.

Last edited:
pengy said:
You are going to attend? I am still trying to make up my mind between PGSP-Stanford and the Chicago School.
What about PGSP-Stanford made the school stand out for you? Although I loved the program I am having a hard time justifying the cost. In your opinion, what was it about the school that is worth the extra money?

Hi -

Out of curiosity, do you know the total difference in cost between the Chicago School and PGSP - Stanford consortium?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have been accepted for the PGSP Stanford program for fall 2007. I see a lot of you on this thread last year were deciding whether to attend. Any advice? Do you like the program? I am trying to decide between Stanford and Denver's Psy.D. programs

Hi. I was just accepted to PsyD programs at PGSP-Stanford and The Wright this week. I'm torn as to which program I'll accept. My feeling is that the 2 programs are completely different... here are my thoughts:

PGSP-Stanford: academic nature, research opportunities, presigious name of Stanford, well-known faculty (but I'm concerned about how accessible the faculty will be... i.e. can you knock on a professors door and discuss issues you may have). I'm also concerned about accredidation, the building facilities, and the youth of the program.

The Wright: sense of community, focused on building yourself as a clinician, accessible faculty with good clinical knowledge/experience, established program, diverse students/staff. I'm concerned about how prestigious and well-known the program is across the country.

Any one else have similar/different thoughts about these programs. Any further information would be really helpful!

I was also concerned with PGSP-Stanford's accredidation and "newness." I am deciding between this program and Widener. But after discussing it with one of my current professor's he said you really can't go wrong with a program affiliated with Stanford because of all the great resources that are available. Also it's just a great place to live. My other main concern, the one affecting my decision, is the cost. I think PGSP is around 33K a year and the other program I'm looking at is 21K. However, I'm trying to think about where I would be happier living for 4-5 years - CA or PA.

I interviewed at The Wright Institute ~4 years ago, and I thought it offered a great experience, though it didn't feel as 'academic' as a traditional program, and I wasn't sure about how research oriented it would be, but I REALLY liked the nurturing feel and the ways the professors interacted with students. I think people who want to be purely clinicians, it'd be a great experience.

The living expenses might be a bit more (SF vs. Stanford), but it is in a great area, so that should be a wash.

-t

I'd be very cautious with this. What makes this program appealing is the connection to Stanford, however, it's with none of the perks. Graduate students at Stanford usually have nice financial packages, unlike this PsyD program. That they are interviewing people that also have interviewed at programs like the Wright Institute is not a good sign (no offense intended). What I'm saying is that the program is competing for students with the Wright Institute. Who does Stanford usually compete with? When I think Stanford I think schools like University of Texas, University of Virginia, MIT, Cal Tech, RPI, UCLA, etc. . . This is an unaccredited professional school PsyD program that has attained affiliation with Stanford. All of the same pitfalls that apply to any other professional school still apply to this one including, most pertinently . . . Too expensive to justify the degree.
I am a current graduate student at Stanford in the psych program, and I'm considering the Consortium program because I'm thinking of going the clinical route. I agree that when I think "Stanford" I think "Harvard," etc, but the crucial difference here is that these are research-based programs. There is nothing inherently inferior about Wright or any other free standing professional psychology schools - the focus is just different, and I don't think it's useful to compare them to major research institutions. Getting a clinical psych degree where you focus on solely being a clinician almost *requires* you to go to a professional school, not a "Stanford." We're talking two totally different worlds here.

Stanford does not offer clinical degrees in psychology, so yes, a person WOULD need to go elsewhere, even if they get into Stanford. Programs like Berkeley and others DO offer clincial degrees, but the focus is on research, and they are very assertive about that. While you can practice after graduating from those schools, it can be a waste of time if you know you just want to be a clinician.

Addressing the faculty concern... Zimbardo accepted a full-time position at PGSP last Sept. Many others are extremely well-known. Faculty isn't a problem at PGSP, though it is at many other professional schools.

I'd be very cautious with this. What makes this program appealing is the connection to Stanford, however, it's with none of the perks. Graduate students at Stanford usually have nice financial packages, unlike this PsyD program. That they are interviewing people that also have interviewed at programs like the Wright Institute is not a good sign (no offense intended). What I'm saying is that the program is competing for students with the Wright Institute. Who does Stanford usually compete with? When I think Stanford I think schools like University of Texas, University of Virginia, MIT, Cal Tech, RPI, UCLA, etc. . . This is an unaccredited professional school PsyD program that has attained affiliation with Stanford. All of the same pitfalls that apply to any other professional school still apply to this one including, most pertinently . . . Too expensive to justify the degree.
I agree that there are not the financial perks found at Stanford, but the main perks include Stanford faculty access, which is a definite perk in my opinion. Money can be an issue, but it's not something that needs to own a person. A chat with the financial aid guy at PGSP can assuage many worries. As far as paying it off in the future, it really depends on the individual. But my Stanford advisor definitely agrees that the idea is that many people make a good amount of money after leaving a clinical psych program (more money than you would in academia), and that it's not generally a huge issue for people to pay off loans.

Also let's not forget about financial aid in the form of fellowships. Several students are on fellowships/scholarships. If I do go into the Consortium program debt won't be a major concern for me due to outside funding, and I know this is true for some others. If anyone wants help in this area let me know and I'd be happy to share... And even if you're not a stellar student, there ARE loans that have 0% interest out there. All of these things take work, yes, but financial success is definitely possible, even with high tuition! PGSP may not be a good fit for many people, but let's not be so rigid as to assume that is the case for everyone who is not independently wealthy.

Yeah, I don't know why Zimbardo is "debasing" himself, LOL. I guess because he's so notoriously stupid ;). I wonder then why everyone seems to know his name... I could go on about other faculty members, but I'm sure we've all already checked them out.

No but really, he is old, but has more energy than most ever will, and is definitely in his right mind (although eccentric). It's a given that he has an agenda, but whatever it is it requires him to teach and mentor, which is good enough for me!

I can appreciate that you are emotionally invested in this topic and have very strong feelings, and I welcome a round view of the Consortium program before deciding to stay at Stanford or transitioning over. However, the emotionally-charged and negative manner with which you seem to speaking of the program (and of all professional psychology schools) gives the impression that you are somehow bitter, or speaking out of anger/emotion rather than maintaining a genuine intent to help others.

I'd like to hear more from people who have applied to the program - has anyone formally accepted? I just got my app in so who knows what will happen, but I'm interested in knowing about the interviews, etc.

How many people are accepted into the Consortium program, anyone know? I heard it's 30/year max. Is this true?

Thanks for your comments, Jon. I'm interested in knowing about the philosophy behind the notion that professional schools adversely affect the field of clinical psychology, but in this context I'd like to stay on topic for this thread, and simply learn more about this specific program.

(BTW, the full funding I referred to is not loan based. But it does cost you tax dollars, so if I'm throwing money away, it's partially your money. That would be kind of funny... Knowing that in some sort of twisted way you are helping fund people who are going to professional schools...)

Orbito - just a thought in case it wasn't something you had considered.

You can respecialize into clinical after getting a degree in another area of psychology. I think its usually about another 2 years plus internship. I don't know what schools have programs for this (I think UM St. Louis and UMass - Amherst both do, and they're both relatively respectable schools). That way you could have clinical training, plus still have a PhD from Stanford - which would be nice. It'd also potentially save you some money depending on how funding played out if you transferred to the consortium, and how long you had to spend there. Not sure what you want to do so no idea if its right for you, just want to make sure you're aware of it since I'm surprised how many people don't know about it:) I considered Stanford solely for the opportunity to work with Ian Gotlib and while I didn't end up applying(mostly because I didn't think I had a chance in hell of getting in), I probably would have gone through the post-doc respec afterwards just so I'd have a stronger background in treatment in case I wanted to do treatment outcome research later in life.

I am also seriously considering attending the Psy.D. consortium. I know it is more expensive than a lot of other programs but I don't see what the big deal is. Undergrad is expensive too but we all know it's important and an "investment into our future." Plus I have to consider that I'd be happier living in CA over some other places I've been accepted to (Pennsylvania). I've spoken to a number of faculty in my current program who have said they truely believe the consortium program is top-notch and comparable to many other top programs in the country. The resources that become available from being affiliated with Stanford are also hard to pass up. The class size is only 30, which is a lot smaller than many other programs I've looked. I also know a number of people who did not even get interviews so I'd like to think they have high entrance requirements. That being said I truly believe the words of my advisor that you cannot go wrong with going to a program affiliated with Stanford. I am just trying to decide if I want to move cross country or not. I'd also like to hear from people who know something personally about the program and are considering attending.

FYI - the Psy.D. program just announced they became accredited for the next 5 years

Stanford does not offer clinical degrees in psychology, so yes, a person WOULD need to go elsewhere, even if they get into Stanford. Programs like Berkeley and others DO offer clincial degrees, but the focus is on research, and they are very assertive about that. While you can practice after graduating from those schools, it can be a waste of time if you know you just want to be a clinician.

Addressing the faculty concern... Zimbardo accepted a full-time position at PGSP last Sept. Many others are extremely well-known. Faculty isn't a problem at PGSP, though it is at many other professional schools.

I was surprised about the Zimbardo appointment. I heard he was in semi-retirement. Here is a quote from the website:
PGSP has contracted with a group of professors from the Department of Psychology at Stanford University to provide focused consultation to our dissertation students. Zimbardo is included on the list. I'm not sure that really counts as a faculty appointment. Is there more to it then this?

I also found this article by one of Zimbardo's colleagues, Larry Beutler, who is also quite accomplished. He is surprisingly frank about the PGSP program - it seems to have some good and bad points (beyond the tuition issue). It's also just an interesting commentary on trying to conduct academic research within a profit driven environment.
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/getArticle.cfm?id=1381

I found this to be an interesting article. One thing I know that I never want to lose touch with is the philosophy and theory involved in practice, even though I will be obtaining a PsyD degree.

I equate this to the research in learning disabilities that I am doing now. Even though I am helping to develop learning paradigms that try to determine by which method children learn best, I am not a reading teacher. And, until the research is implemented in the classroom, I would never claim to know any more about learning and teaching reading than a teacher (although I have had a few heated debates with my mother who has taught reading for 20 years).

Anyhow, I just think it is interesting that the "nature" of students at clinically focused versus research focused programs may differ and I would feel more or less content falling somewhere in the middle.

Just some thoughts.

I was surprised about the Zimbardo appointment. I heard he was in semi-retirement. Here is a quote from the website:
PGSP has contracted with a group of professors from the Department of Psychology at Stanford University to provide focused consultation to our dissertation students. Zimbardo is included on the list. I'm not sure that really counts as a faculty appointment. Is there more to it then this?

I also found this article by one of Zimbardo's colleagues, Larry Beutler, who is also quite accomplished. He is surprisingly frank about the PGSP program - it seems to have some good and bad points (beyond the tuition issue). It's also just an interesting commentary on trying to conduct academic research within a profit driven environment.
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/getArticle.cfm?id=1381

Has anyone who has been accepted to the PGSP/Stanford Psy.D. program decided not to attend? If so, have you already delivered your rejection?

Hi all,

I just accepted my place at PGSP Psyd. Is anyone else going there?:)

I too just accepted at PGSP-Stanford for the Fall 2007 PsyD Class. :)

Last edited:
There is a lot of really productive debate on this thread. Lots of interesting stuff and some excellent points and question marks about this program.

How competitive is this program? Is it up there with Rutgers/Baylor or is it competitive on the level of free-standing professional schools?

I visited their website after reading this thread. It is true that the faculty listing is pretty impressive as is the name of Stanford University obviously, but is this why the tuition is about $15k a year higher than all other Psy.D. programs? Or is it for other reasons?

Also is this program a rarity or are more "name" universities having plans in the works for Psy.D. programs?

Just curious,
Jon

Does anyone know if PGSP-Stanford is offering a child track in fall 2008? A previous post in this forum said they were thinking about it. I'm applying now and wanna know if I should indicate an interest in the application.

Also, I've read that they seem pretty CBT in orientation. But can you get diverse practicum and course experience, i.e. i'm also interested in psychodynamic, interpersonal approaches in addition to the cognitive-behavioral. is it pretty eclectic in approach?

Hello All,

First, congrats to those who got accepted into the PGSP psyD program. They have a lot more requirements for their PsyD program than they do with their PH.D. You have to take the GRE, Psych GRE, 7 prereqs, etc. while they only require that you take the GRE for the Ph.d program. The Ph.d program accepts about 60 students while the psyD accepts only 30.

My question is: For those who got accepted to any of PGSP's program, would you please kindly share your background and strengths in your application. I don't have a background in Psych. but have almost a decade of counseling experience. My GPA is higher than a 3.0. I am bilingual and my community has a great need for more psychologists. I plan to meet all of the requirements, prereqs. I would like to know what my chances are in getting into the program. You can email me a private message of your scores, background, etc. or post. I truly appreciate it and thank you in advance!