Pfizer effectiveness dramatic drop vs Delta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They either need to build a healthcare system that can handle the problem, or end the problem once and for all.

Simple solution
1) if you are unvaccinated then you get home oxygen but nothing else. You are on your own to recover and make way for other that need the ICUs
1) if you are up-to-date on vaccines (or have a real medical contraindication) then you get full-court press.

Solves the problem of overwhelmed systems real quick.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I don’t get the sense that Australasia is locking down to prevent the healthcare system from being overrun. They seem to be banking on brief periods of severe restrictions to allow for longer periods of complete normalcy.

We currently are suffering from lack of a coherent national plan. Locking down after there’s been severe community spread and being unable to come together as a country to fight this pandemic is costing us lives and $$$.
Being in short-term Armageddon mode for years on end is no plan. Either we need to build twice as many hospitals to handle the new normal of perma-pandemics. Or we need to get real serious about ending the problem once and for all.

Reactions: 1 users
Being in short-term Armageddon mode for years on end is no plan. Either we need to build twice as many hospitals to handle the new normal of perma-pandemics. Or we need to get real serious about ending the problem once and for all.
I've noticed that my vaccine nanobots has improved my 5G reception.

Seriously, I don't understand how in the world the anti-vaxxers can think that the vaccines have nanobots or that it has any relation to 5G technology. It baffles my mind. If the government wanted to put nanobots in a vaccine, they would have done so with the flu, MMR, etc. There are some really off-the-wall people out there.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Seriously, I don't understand how in the world the anti-vaxxers can think that the vaccines have nanobots or that it has any relation to 5G technology. It baffles my mind. If the government wanted to put nanobots in a vaccine, they would have done so with the flu, MMR, etc. There are some really off-the-wall people out there.
I haven’t decided if it’s garden variety stupidity, or mass paranoid delusions.

These people were always there, I suppose. And our only clue was their occasional foray to a local ED. Now, social media has made them more visible and empowered them to find each other and spread “information.” I’m not so sure that’s a good thing.

Reactions: 3 users
Simple solution
1) if you are unvaccinated then you get home oxygen but nothing else. You are on your own to recover and make way for other that need the ICUs
1) if you are up-to-date on vaccines (or have a real medical contraindication) then you get full-court press.

Solves the problem of overwhelmed systems real quick.
As much as I like the idea from an emotional standpoint, this would be a dangerous precedent and ethically problematic.

It seems vax X2 plus a booster of the latest natural virus would getcha covered, but who the hell knows, at this point. I'm just shootin' in the dark here.
Is a booster just getting the other vaccine? Getting say Pfizer back in the day and now getting moderna… one or two shots?

I haven’t decided if it’s garden variety stupidity, or mass paranoid delusions.

These people were always there, I suppose. And our only clue was their occasional foray to a local ED. Now, social media has made them more visible and empowered them to find each other and spread “information.” I’m not so sure that’s a good thing.
Never apply pathology to a situation easily explained by stupidity

Reactions: 2 users

But somehow that's maybe 30 percent of the US population now. That's a lot of skepticism. Even videos of doctors dismissing the vaccines keep popping up.

But somehow that's maybe 30 percent of the US population now. That's a lot of skepticism. Even videos of doctors dismissing the vaccines keep popping up.
You can find lots of . . . doctors. . . who are furthering distrust of large institutions. Of course the local OB/GYN who is Rxing ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine for a smooth $125 ect also offers intranasal and rectal ozone. No insurance of course.

I wish I made some of this stuff up.

• Wow
As much as I like the idea from an emotional standpoint, this would be a dangerous precedent and ethically problematic.

If you are forced to ration care, do you have a better and more fair way to do it?

These people want the “freedom” not to get vaccinated. Give it to them - but choices come with consequences.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are forced to ration care, do you have a better and more fair way to do it?

These people want the “freedom” not to get vaccinated. Give it to them - but choices come with consequences.
If we are forced to ration care, ie ventilators etc, here's how you'll see it done:

There will be a panel at your hospital of admin, physicians, and lawyers. Every day they will run the list of critical patients and decide who gets a vent base on severity of illness and likelihood of survival. They will use some type of measure, possibly SOFA score, as an attempt at objectively measuring mortality risk. The rationale is in part to limit any liability related to discriminatory practices. This will likely fall in line with local state measures for disaster planning.

Not saying this is better, or more fair, but this is likely the way it will be done.

Is a booster just getting the other vaccine? Getting say Pfizer back in the day and now getting moderna… one or two shots?
From what I've read, it's not set in stone. But generally, it looks like a "booster" currently would be simply to get one more of what you already had (a 3rd Pfizer or Moderna; or 2nd J&J if you had a single J&J). However, I've heard of many people mixing it up for various reasons, i.e. J&J people getting a booster of either Pfizer or Moderna, due the general perceived superiority of those formulations. Or people that had Pfizer, getting a 3rd dose but with Moderna, since that latest data (seemingly) shows Moderna holding stronger against the Delta variant.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are forced to ration care, do you have a better and more fair way to do it?These people want the “freedom” not to get vaccinated. Give it to them - but choices come with consequences.
First come- first serve with a carve out for those with the resources to arrange care outside of their region?

Oh wait, that’s what we’re doing now and will continue to do because it’s the only option that doesn’t involve any type of central planning. And of course centralized planning at any level is philosophically abhorrent to a sizable minority of the population. Too damn many people buying into the myth that we used to be a nation of rugged individualists who never needed or wanted any help. Which was never true but serves us especially poorly when vast networks of tightly stretched, completely interconnected networks stretched across the globe are the only thing keeping 90%+ percent of us alive.

Our EDs run on drugs from Indian factories, IV fluids made on a US island that is routinely wrecked by natural disasters, machines built by European multinationals and techs/transporters making minimum wage (+|- $2/hr) from communities hollowed out by the systemic shift of wealth from the working/middle class to billionaires and staffed to the bare minimum level required to avoid media scrutiny . And we do it because they’re run by a class of people specially trained to view surge capacity and redundancy as unnecessary overhead. It doesn’t have to be this way, but it is and we’re going to pay a high price as a society for some very short term gains for relative handful of people.

Reactions: 9 users
If we are forced to ration care, ie ventilators etc, here's how you'll see it done:

There will be a panel at your hospital of admin, physicians, and lawyers. Every day they will run the list of critical patients and decide who gets a vent base on severity of illness and likelihood of survival. They will use some type of measure, possibly SOFA score, as an attempt at objectively measuring mortality risk. The rationale is in part to limit any liability related to discriminatory practices. This will likely fall in line with local state measures for disaster planning.

Not saying this is better, or more fair, but this is likely the way it will be done.

Oh, I understand how it will currently be done to limit liability.

We need a new federal law to change that and state that all vaccinated will be prioritized over unvaccinated in any rationing of care specific to covid. Also care of other conditions will also be prioritized over covid-specific needs for unvaccinated.

It’s a win-win. The unvaccinated get to “choose” and not be forced to get a vaccine they don’t want. The vaccinated get assurance they will be prioritized in covid care if resources are strained.

I realize it's just personal anecdote, but I'd bet good money that if 50% of my fully vaccinated household can turn COVID +, that:

1) Breakthrough cases are far from rare and we're not being told the truth about them,

2) You will see countless numbers in your ED soon (if not already) and,

3) The number of breakthrough cases will soon be too big nationally to hide.

...It doesn’t have to be this way, but it is and we’re going to pay a high price as a society for some very short term gains for relative handful of people.
And who are those people?

You can find lots of . . . doctors. . . who are furthering distrust of large institutions. Of course the local OB/GYN who is Rxing ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine for a smooth $125 ect also offers intranasal and rectal ozone. No insurance of course.

I wish I made some of this stuff up.

I’ve had several patients this past week ask me to prescribe hydrozychloroquine and ivermectin. What’s up with that? Is there increasing social media chatter saying that these drugs work?

Im getting so sick of helping these COVID patients

I realize it's just personal anecdote, but I'd bet good money that if 50% of my fully vaccinated household can turn COVID +, that:

1) Breakthrough cases are far from rare and we're not being told the truth about them,

breakthrough and mild…I believe that. I doubt breakthrough and severe

breakthrough and mild…I believe that. I doubt breakthrough and severe
Yeah, get biweekly emails from multiple hospital CEOs with covid stats, number of unvaccinated covid patients is like 86%.

And who are those people?
I was originally envisioning the CEOs/CNOs who wreck stable and sustainable staffing patterns for a quarterly bonus as the most immediate beneficiary. Anybody that’s destabilizing the system in the hopes of short term profits would be included. We celebrate the capitalistic success of people who figure out how to make a better widget but that’s really hard to do. It’s a lot easier to gamble that you can hollow out your current business model in the hope of using the profits to buy out your competitors and reap the benefits of a monopoly. And if you fail, you probably started from a position of privilege that will let you try again elsewhere.

!!!!!!!!

"Antibody dependent enhancement (ADE) of infection is a safety concern for vaccine strategies..in the case of the Delta variant, neutralizing antibodies have a decreased affinity for the spike protein, whereas facilitating antibodies display a strikingly increased affinity. Thus, ADE may be a concern for people receiving vaccines based on the original Wuhan strain spike sequence (either mRNA or viral vectors). Under these circumstances, second generation vaccines with spike protein formulations lacking structurally-conserved ADE-related epitopes should be considered."

Journal of Infection, 8/10/21

Last edited:
!!!!!!!!

"Antibody dependent enhancement (ADE) of infection is a safety concern for vaccine strategies..in the case of the Delta variant, neutralizing antibodies have a decreased affinity for the spike protein, whereas facilitating antibodies display a strikingly increased affinity. Thus, ADE may be a concern for people receiving vaccines based on the original Wuhan strain spike sequence (either mRNA or viral vectors). Under these circumstances, second generation vaccines with spike protein formulations lacking structurally-conserved ADE-related epitopes should be considered."

what does this mean, I think I'm stupid.

!!!!!!!!

Yeah the original mAB treatment has not been shown to be effective, but there’s a new combination that’s supposedly showing benefit….

!!!!!!!!

Please delete this post for spreading misinformation. Snopes and YouTube and Facebook have already debunked this. In fact these vaccines are not only tested and extremely safe, an independent group of non-medical fact checkers even found them to be the safest medications ever created. Not just vaccines but safer than all medicines ever to exist.

On a serious note, many actual virology and vaccinology experts have been voicing these concerns for months.

Its truly incredible how many doctors are slaves to the mansteam media brainwashing. Whe the media is censoring actual Nobel laureates maybe its time to consider youre being intentionally misled.

Reactions: 4 users
"Cumulative incidence of COVID-19 was examined among 52238 employees in an American healthcare system. COVID-19 did not occur in anyone over the five months of the study among 2579 individuals previously infected with COVID-19, including 1359 who did not take the vaccine."

Department of Infectious Disease, Cleveland Clinic

WTF is a "facilitating antibody"?

C'mon, we all know the other vaccines are only good for 4G. Did you miss that day of med school?

Please delete this post for spreading misinformation. Snopes and YouTube and Facebook have already debunked this. In fact these vaccines are not only tested and extremely safe, an independent group of non-medical fact checkers even found them to be the safest medications ever created. Not just vaccines but safer than all medicines ever to exist.

On a serious note, many actual virology and vaccinology experts have been voicing these concerns for months.

Its truly incredible how many doctors are slaves to the mansteam media brainwashing. Whe the media is censoring actual Nobel laureates maybe its time to consider youre being intentionally misled.
Lol

Last edited:
WTF is a "facilitating antibody"?
It’s a thing that if it were significant and wide spread would mean that people with vaccination induced immunity would actually get sicker than if they weren’t vaccinated. Which doesn’t seem to fit. Delta infects vaccinated people but they seem to do better and clear their antigen tests more quickly than their unvaccinated counterparts.

I think we get the gist though, you (the collective posters of this position) got COVID and did just fine. It was a big bad scary thing and you kicked it’s behind and sent it home to its mom. Cool, I’m glad. We need every experienced bad MF’er ED doc we can get.

The epidemiological data doesn’t seem to support prior infection with alpha as being superior to vaccination. Florida YOLO’d alpha and had tons of infections. They’re YOLO’ing Delta and still getting trashed with severe disease. NYC got absolutely wrecked during alpha, and largely vaxx’ed up and are doing pretty damn well.

And Birdstrike, I agree that there’s a lot more Delta in vaccinated people than is being reported but it’s because it’s mild enough that they’re getting swabbed and being called at home with the results. They’re (largely) not filling up beds and requiring vents/ECMO. Unless we have a run on rayon and can’t make new swabs, they’re not what’s hosing the healthcare system.

Hell if my ten yr old could get vaccinated I’d resume completely normal activities right now. But there’s still way too many people at risk to abandon attempts to contain the virus.

I don't understand the last 6 messages. I need someone to write in normal english.

Research "antibody dependent enhancement." Antibodies from a previous infection or vaccination can actually bind to the new strain of virus but instead of assisting the immune system to fight the virus, the antibodies actually help the virus enter the cells more effectively so that it is more virulent. some virologiest have said that previous versions of sars vaccines have killed their test animals because of this.

If you don't know about ADE you should not be making any statements about the safety of these vaccines. You do not have all of the information if this is the case. You probably haven't heard about ADE though because the experts voicing these concerns have had their interviews banned from YouTube and mainstream media will not interview them.

Lmao. He got me, didn't he. :lol:

I need to log off the internet, bad. Like, so bad . Lol.
EopO1axXYAMKGfA.jpg

• Haha
It’s a thing that if it were significant and wide spread would mean that people with vaccination induced immunity would actually get sicker than if they weren’t vaccinated. Which doesn’t seem to fit. Delta infects vaccinated people but they seem to do better and clear their antigen tests more quickly than their unvaccinated counterparts.

I think we get the gist though, you (the collective posters of this position) got COVID and did just fine. It was a big bad scary thing and you kicked it’s behind and sent it home to its mom. Cool, I’m glad. We need every experienced bad MF’er ED doc we can get.

The epidemiological data doesn’t seem to support prior infection with alpha as being superior to vaccination. Florida YOLO’d alpha and had tons of infections. They’re YOLO’ing Delta and still getting trashed with severe disease. NYC got absolutely wrecked during alpha, and largely vaxx’ed up and are doing pretty damn well.

And Birdstrike, I agree that there’s a lot more Delta in vaccinated people than is being reported but it’s because it’s mild enough that they’re getting swabbed and being called at home with the results. They’re (largely) not filling up beds and requiring vents/ECMO. Unless we have a run on rayon and can’t make new swabs, they’re not what’s hosing the healthcare system.

Hell if my ten yr old could get vaccinated I’d resume completely normal activities right now. But there’s still way too many people at risk to abandon attempts to contain the virus.
Every single published study of prior infection vs vaccination has shown prior infection to be at least equivalent if not superior to vaccination. There is no rationale reason to think otherwise at this point. I'm not advocating for people to get their immunity via exposure to the virus but taking this position that the vaccine provides better immunity is devoid of logic and devoid of evidence. As far as NY vs FL, as far as I've seen FL still has the lower overall population adjusted death rate. NY's Delta season is likely to come this fall.

Every single published study of prior infection vs vaccination has shown prior infection to be at least equivalent if not superior to vaccination. There is no rationale reason to think otherwise at this point. I'm not advocating for people to get their immunity via exposure to the virus but taking this position that the vaccine provides better immunity is devoid of logic and devoid of evidence. As far as NY vs FL, as far as I've seen FL still has the lower overall population adjusted death rate. NY's Delta season is likely to come this fall.
The MMWR study was published. There are multiple possible reasons a vaccine could provide better protection against a mutated virus than the body's response to the wild type. Antibodies elicited by mRNA-1273 vaccination bind more broadly to the receptor binding domain than do those from SARS-CoV-2 infection | Science Translational Medicine for one explanation.

And your insistence on lumping alpha and delta viruses together as one disease entity with monolithic features is puzzling. An apples to apples comparison with death rates isn't comparing NY's alpha death rate with FL's Delta death rate.

Look, it would be f%#'ing awesome if having had alpha meant you were fine and could effectively ignore delta. The epidemiologic and translational data FOR DELTA doesn't seem to be supporting that hypothesis.

Reactions: 7 users

Meanwhile they are carrying a tracking device on their body 24/7 and posting their whole life on social media with said device, but they are somehow worried that the gov needs a vaccine to “track” them

The MMWR study was published. There are multiple possible reasons a vaccine could provide better protection against a mutated virus than the body's response to the wild type. Antibodies elicited by mRNA-1273 vaccination bind more broadly to the receptor binding domain than do those from SARS-CoV-2 infection | Science Translational Medicine for one explanation.

And your insistence on lumping alpha and delta viruses together as one disease entity with monolithic features is puzzling. An apples to apples comparison with death rates isn't comparing NY's alpha death rate with FL's Delta death rate.

Look, it would be f%#'ing awesome if having had alpha meant you were fine and could effectively ignore delta. The epidemiologic and translational data FOR DELTA doesn't seem to be supporting that hypothesis.
Basic science experiments were interesting until we had real world data, and then it became less relevant. But if you insist on looking at in vitro antibody studies I will refer you to this study again. A full year after infection people with prior infection had better Delta neutralization than vaccinated people months after vaccination.

Delta isn't a new disease. It is a very slightly changed spike protein that confers a transmission advantage. The immune system recognizes it. I'm not sure why you perseverate on considering this a completely new disease... All other viral antigens are unchanged and efficiently recognized by the immune system. Please provide studies supporting your assertion that "epidemiologic and translational data FOR DELTA doesn't seem to be supporting that hypothesis."

I wouldnt be surprised if breakthrough cases are far far more common than we know. But I still think the severity of the case is less in the vaccinated. Its an anecdote, but I recently had a cachectic lung ca lady get covid and end up intubated. She had gotten the vsccine. Surprisingly, she was down to 40% fio2 while my unvaccinated younger obese patient was paralyzed on 100%.

Im personally hoping ive maybe gotten microexposures throughout the last year or so. Not enough to get sick, but enough to ramp up immunity some.

Iocaine powder style.

I wouldnt be surprised if breakthrough cases are far far more common than we know. But I still think the severity of the case is less in the vaccinated. Its an anecdote, but I recently had a cachectic lung ca lady get covid and end up intubated. She had gotten the vsccine. Surprisingly, she was down to 40% fio2 while my unvaccinated younger obese patient was paralyzed on 100%.

Im personally hoping ive maybe gotten microexposures throughout the last year or so. Not enough to get sick, but enough to ramp up immunity some.

Iocaine powder style.
I keep hoping this too

I don’t get the sense that Australasia is locking down to prevent the healthcare system from being overrun. They seem to be banking on brief periods of severe restrictions to allow for longer periods of complete normalcy.

We currently are suffering from lack of a coherent national plan. Locking down after there’s been severe community spread and being unable to come together as a country to fight this pandemic is costing us lives and $$$.
Australian cities/states go into hard lockdown to get back to elimination. It worked pretty well before delta.

Sydney/NSW tried to sort of neighborhood restrictions-lite, and to vaccinate their way out of it for this past outbreak – and it has failed miserably at 1) getting back to elimination, and 2) preventing their health system from being overrun. It also resulted in tendrils of delta getting out into neighboring states, triggering them to go into hard lockdowns. So, now, finally, NSW is in a hard lockdown with borders closed to other states. At 400 cases a day, though, it's going to take several weeks to get close to elimination-level again.

Why is no one talking about this? We need to talk about this. Why is no one concerned about this? Could vaccinated people be worse off down the line based on this effect?

Research "antibody dependent enhancement." Antibodies from a previous infection or vaccination can actually bind to the new strain of virus but instead of assisting the immune system to fight the virus, the antibodies actually help the virus enter the cells more effectively so that it is more virulent. some virologiest have said that previous versions of sars vaccines have killed their test animals because of this.

If you don't know about ADE you should not be making any statements about the safety of these vaccines. You do not have all of the information if this is the case. You probably haven't heard about ADE though because the experts voicing these concerns have had their interviews banned from YouTube and mainstream media will not interview them.
This is my main concern and I keep getting eye rolls from colleagues at work who think I am a conspiracy theorist.

• Haha
This is my main concern and I keep getting eye rolls from colleagues at work who think I am a conspiracy theorist.
Except if this were a current concern at this time, we’d be seeing substantially sicker prior vaccinated patients compared to non-vaccinated.

When ADE has occurred, it was severe enough to stop trials and prevent vaccines from being marketed.

Reactions: 5 users
And rightfully so. Developing an effective immune response to COVID due to infection is a significantly riskier path than through vaccination. In every group the vaccines has been studied in, the rates of complications from COVID are significantly higher than vaccine complications. If you're focused on a theoretical risk that is unsupported by any current epidemiological data vs. the very real risk posed by low vaccinations rates, that's going to feel off to most HCWs. I

that’s your MAIN concern? Really? If this hypothesis were bearing out in reality wouldn’t we be hospitalizing far more vaccinated people and wouldn’t the morbidity/mortality among the vaccinated be far higher?

we are seeing the exact opposite. Vaccination, per the actual evidence, has done its job. So has masking and social distancing.

If you're focused on a theoretical risk ...
It's just something to be aware of. It's not something that should take precedence over any other bit of information on the subject.