Pfizer Compensation.......in San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsquitpharm

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hi guys

I was recently approached by a headhunter from NYC, for a manager, clinical pharmacology & pharmacometrics position at Pfizer, based in San Diego, CA. The guy over the phone told me the compensation would be in the 120-140k ballpark.

Does anyone have any data points or information to help me decide if this is competitive or not? I have ~2 years of big pharma in-field work experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
that seams awfully low for San Diego - here in the southeast I have a friend working for GSK making 160, and I was offered 155 for a MSL job for a very small company (not anywhere near the pfizer level)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
that seams awfully low for San Diego - here in the southeast I have a friend working for GSK making 160, and I was offered 155 for a MSL job for a very small company (not anywhere near the pfizer level)
Glassdoor reports ~$149k/yr.

From the phone conversation though, the headhunter does feel I am a good fit, so do I. The guy said Pfizer has been trying to hire someone badly, but they can't find the right person. So I am now wondering if Pfizer is using its name brand to artificially depress the salaries, or the headhunter was just trying to lowball me.

Aren't you going into IT?

Aren't you going into IT?
I am technically at a career crossroad, where I can stay in pharma and climb the seniority ladder and expect to reach assoc. director/director level in another 5-6 years, or I can forgo everything related to pharma and go all into tech. I am torn right now literally.

Lately I saw someone in my group who is working a full-time sde job, plus one or two contract sde jobs simultaneously (each contract job paying 70k-130k), all remote of course. This kinda gives me another option of doing everything all at once and not seemingly falling behind financially. I am seriously thinking about giving that a try.

I am technically at a career crossroad, where I can stay in pharma and climb the seniority ladder and expect to reach assoc. director/director level in another 5-6 years, or I can forgo everything related to pharma and go all into tech. I am torn right now literally.

Lately I saw someone in my group who is working a full-time sde job, plus one or two contract sde jobs simultaneously (each contract job paying 70k-130k), all remote of course. This kinda gives me another option of doing everything all at once and not seemingly falling behind financially. I am seriously thinking about giving that a try.
I would just try getting a job in tech if that is what you want to do.

Reactions: 3 users
I would just try getting a job in tech if that is what you want to do.
Sunk cost fallacy you know. I invested so much time in pharm... It is somehow easier said than done. Albeit I also put in countless hours in coding, the emotional attachment or the significance of seeing novel therapy getting approved is always touching and memorable. It's especially hard to pull the trigger when I am getting very close to being able to say goodbye and turn my back to the last 7 years. After learning so much pharmacology, biostats and programming, I have trouble swallowing that pill and admit total defeat, both to my close ones and myself.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, Pfizer is not generally as competitive as other companies. They offered me about $100K less for a lateral move in a similar high cost area.
Oh, Pfizer must be thinking that its name brand is worth whatever the pay gap is....

Idk, it's a remote start position, then they offer relocation package when it's back onsite. If I do take this offer, I might just take the relocation package and jump ship again in 1-2 years then.

• Hmm
You are pretty much capped around 200-250k at director level with Pharm. D degree til you die. In tech, you'll make double to quadruple that that in 5 years if you can get into top 10 tech companies. I'd say do what you wanted to do.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
You are pretty much capped around 200-250k at director level with Pharm. D degree til you die. In tech, you'll make double to quadruple that that in 5 years if you can get into top 10 tech companies. I'd say do what you wanted to do.
For Pharma, is this accurate in your opinion even with bonus and equity?
Still pales in comparison to tech numbers, wowza!!!

double or quadruple 200-250k in 5 years? I have spoken to some Googlers, and that doesn't seem right lol :rofl:.

Reactions: 1 user
double or quadruple 200-250k in 5 years? I have spoken to some Googlers, and that doesn't seem right lol :rofl:.
Just look at levels.fyi for salary table. They listed years of exp and salary there. Staff normally makes 350-550k and director makes around 1M.

Just look at levels.fyi for salary table. They listed years of exp and salary there. Staff normally makes 350-550k and director makes around 1M.
Statistically speaking, your claim is very biased. Yes, big tech employees make substantially more than most other fields, there's no denial here...but how many can really make it to the top in tech? You made it sound so easy like any FAANG sde with 10+ yrs exp will become a tech director. That's far from the truth.

The reality is, most googlers are perpetually stuck at L5...as sr. software engineers. In fact, I am much more confident that I can reach director level in pharma than in tech. The quality of talent hence the level of competition just isn't comparable.

Last edited:
Statistically speaking, your claim is very biased. Yes, big tech employees make substantially more than most other fields, there's no denial here...but how many can really make it to the top in tech? You made it sound so easy like any FAANG sde with 10+ yrs exp will become a tech director. That's far from the truth.
Also, interested in your thoughts re: Pharma compensation. Not sure if package of $200-$250k includes bonus and equity. I know several PharmDs in Pharma who are Senior Director, some executive directors, some VPs, and higher, the latter of which are older.

Hi, I am in biostatistics (not pharmacy) but work in pharma for a Japanese company on the East Coast. My base is in the 200-250K range that you wrote (just my base). Bonus 20%, Long-term incentive equity is 20%. So that figure is just base. Total compensation is more like around 300K. My guess is pharmacy director would be similar type of package and San Diego should be comparable to East Coast in living Cost.

Hi, I am in biostatistics (not pharmacy) but work in pharma for a Japanese company on the East Coast. My base is in the 200-250K range that you wrote (just my base). Bonus 20%, Long-term incentive equity is 20%. So that figure is just base. Total compensation is more like around 300K. My guess is pharmacy director would be similar type of package and San Diego should be comparable to East Coast in living Cost.
This is consistent with my expectations as well.

That gives me hope lol.
I am in pharmacometrics so technically we are in closely related fields. I have told another headhunter that I prefer East Coast or remote positions over South Cal, and she came back with 16 JDs asking my feedback... I guess I will move soon.

The reality is, most googlers are perpetually stuck at L5...as sr. software engineers. In fact, I am much more confident that I can reach director level in pharma than in tech. The quality of talent hence the level of competition just isn't comparable.
I guess you just want to stay in pharma as director vs. Staff in faangm. Nothing wrong with that.

That gives me hope lol.
I am in pharmacometrics so technically we are in closely related fields. I have told another headhunter that I prefer East Coast or remote positions over South Cal, and she came back with 16 JDs asking my feedback... I guess I will move soon.
I don't think that compensation range would apply to most manager-level pharma/biotech positions on the East Coast. However, an experienced Associate Director or Director could command that. For example, at my former company on the East Coast, a manager of pharmacometrics would make around $150-160k, plus bonus 15%, plus equity 20%. I did some checking. Also, they had PharmD Senior Directors, Executive Directors, and VPs, but they were in different functional areas.

Last edited:
I am director level but not at Pfizer. Pfizer levels for biostatistics are for entry level after PhD: manager, then senior manager, then associate director, then director, then senior director, then executive director, then vp. I assume it is similar or even same for pharmacometrics. Manager level (not senior manager) salaries are in tbe range you quoted above in your original post.

I don't think that compensation range would apply to most manager-level pharma/biotech positions on the East Coast. However, an experienced Associate Director or Director could command that. For example, at my former company on the East Coast, a manager of pharmacometrics would make around $150-160k, plus bonus 15%, plus equity 20%. I did some checking. Also, they had PharmD Senior Directors, Executive Directors, and VPs, but they were in different functional areas.
That's already on par with Amazon sde payscale I think 🤔

I am director level but not at Pfizer. Pfizer levels for biostatistics are for entry level after PhD: manager, then senior manager, then associate director, then director, then senior director, then executive director, then vp. I assume it is similar or even same for pharmacometrics. Manager level (not senior manager) salaries are in tbe range you quoted above in your original post.
Thanks for the info.
I am one year away from graduating from my cs masters program, and I think I need another 2 years or so to break into one of the FAANGs as sde (internships are no longer an option, so I am thinking about doing some remote consulting work to build up resume first). One of my more experienced coworkers recently jumped ship to Facebook as sr. data engineer. I guess I will I stay in pharma for quite a bit, before I consider a similar move when the pay gap grows larger.

If you guys don't mind, which one(s) of the following company is considered promising or offer more competitive packages based on your experience?

I am scheduled to have a phone interview with Pfizer tomorrow morning. But another headhunter forwarded all of the ones below to me this morning, for pharmacometrics/modeling roles, all flexible from entry-level up to associate director level (PhD w/ 1-10 years exp). I am still going over each JD right now and I think I can check off almost all of the requirement boxes. Btw, I only asked for east coast or remote opportunities, so here they are:

Biocryst NC or remote
Arvinas CT or remote
Daiichi NJ
AZ MD
BMS NJ
Vertex remote or MA
Janssen PA
Teva PA
Certara (any of their sites or remote, NC, MA, NJ)
Mersana MA or remote
Neurocrine San Diego
Relay
Merck PA
Ascentage remote or MD
Anheart remote or NY
Alnylam MA or remote

Last edited:
It all depends upon the level they give you. For Pfizer, manager level is basically what they give entry-level hires after PhD (at least for biostatistics). I have worked previously for two companies on that above list in the past, but quite awhile ago. Just apply everywhere, and see which gives you the best title/ offer. Many companies may still be remote (or allow more remote than previously), so don't rule anything out based on location.

It all depends upon the level they give you. For Pfizer, manager level is basically what they give entry-level hires after PhD (at least for biostatistics). I have worked previously for two companies on that above list in the past, but quite awhile ago. Just apply everywhere, and see which gives you the best title/ offer. Many companies may still be remote (or allow more remote than previously), so don't rule anything out based on location.
I actually prefer perm remote or east coast, and I want to relocate to Greater Boston if possible to invest in real estate. The west coast housing market has effectively priced me out.:(

I concur. Also, the requirements for a level with one company are not the same as another company and can vary among function within the same company. There are a lot of variables. I have worked for two of the companies on your list too but am in a different group than you. The easiest thing is to check Glassdoor for the title of the job that you are applying to at the various companies, keeping in mind there are sometimes wide ranges even for the same title within the same company. Directionally, Glassdoor would generally be right. Salaries are also sometimes mentioned in the job descriptions. Lastly, talk to recruiters. They often have the salary information. Not all of the jobs you list are in the same area, and that obviously affects compensation as well.

I concur. Also, the requirements for a level with one company are not the same as another company and can vary among function within the same company. There are a lot of variables. I have worked for two of the companies on your list too but am in a different group than you. The easiest thing is to check Glassdoor for the title of the job that you are applying to at the various companies, keeping in mind there are sometimes wide ranges even for the same title within the same company. Directionally, Glassdoor would generally be right. Salaries are also sometimes mentioned in the job descriptions. Lastly, talk to recruiters. They often have the salary information. Not all of the jobs you list are in the same area, and that obviously affects compensation as well.
I just finished the phone screen with Pfizer. For the manager level in clinical pharmacology/pharmacometrics (50/50 time split), the updated base salary is in the ballpark of ~140k/yr + bonuses + equity, etc, so the total package would be around ~170-180k, if not 200k, based on my experience and background.

I actually prefer perm remote or east coast, and I want to relocate to Greater Boston if possible to invest in real estate. The west coast housing market has effectively priced me out.:(

Have you lived in Boston before? It's just as expensive as CA. The weather is miserable 6 months out of the year. My heating bill is over $300/mo in winter. Houses are old and constantly need to be fixed/maintained and contractors charge out the ass, if they decide to show up. People are angry all the time. Traffic is the worst in the country now. I'd stay in Socal if I were you.

I just finished the phone screen with Pfizer. For the manager level in clinical pharmacology/pharmacometrics (50/50 time split), the updated base salary is in the ballpark of ~140k/yr + bonuses + equity, etc, so the total package would be around ~170-180k, if not 200k, based on my experience and background.
Good luck!

Have you lived in Boston before? It's just as expensive as CA. The weather is miserable 6 months out of the year. My heating bill is over $300/mo in winter. Houses are old and constantly need to be fixed/maintained and contractors charge out the ass, if they decide to show up. People are angry all the time. Traffic is the worst in the country now. I'd stay in Socal if I were you.
My pharmacy school was on the East Coast actually, with heavy snow and all that, before I moved to CA postgrad. CA weather is nice but I can't tolerate the high heat in the summer. It feels so dry and air condition was awful because of all the nonstop wild fire. The housing market is just insane (uninhabitable multimillion dollar shacks are real), and tax is also crazy🤪. I don't know how I can settle down and start a family in a place like that...

My pharmacy school was on the East Coast actually, with heavy snow and all that, before I moved to CA postgrad. CA weather is nice but I can't tolerate the high heat in the summer. It feels so dry and air condition was awful because of all the nonstop wild fire. The housing market is just insane (uninhabitable multimillion dollar shacks are real), and tax is also crazy🤪. I don't know how I can settle down and start a family in a place like that...
Why not settle for a state with reasonable weather and housing such as N. Carolina?

Why not settle for a state with reasonable weather and housing such as N. Carolina?
Jobs in research triangle park......That's also an option actually. But it just happens that most of the jobs the three headhunters gave me last week were located in MA, NY, NJ or PA. I think Certara has a site in NC? But I am not so familiar with real estate market there.

Jobs in research triangle park......That's also an option actually. But it just happens that most of the jobs the three headhunters gave me last week were located in MA, NY, NJ or PA. I think Certara has a site in NC? But I am not so familiar with real estate market there.
When I was looking for a job ~8 months ago in North Carolina, I looked at the housing market around Charlotte and I was pleasantly surprised that one can get a brand-new home (2600+ sqft) in a good school district for 500k.

Last edited:
Love the real estate market there. Homes in RTP were a fraction of what they cost in a high cost area.

How does a pharmacist get into that space?

W
Also, interested in your thoughts re: Pharma compensation. Not sure if package of $200-$250k includes bonus and equity. I know several PharmDs in Pharma who are Senior Director, some executive directors, some VPs, and higher, the latter of
Also, interested in your thoughts re: Pharma compensation. Not sure if package of $200-$250k includes bonus and equity. I know several PharmDs in Pharma who are Senior Director, some executive directors, some VPs, and higher, the latter of which are older.
What functional area?

W

What functional area?
Multiple, including regulatory, clinical development, med info, other areas within medical affairs, medical writing, clinical operations, business development, commercial, clinical pharmacology, etc. In my experience, it's not that uncommon at all. However, it is company specific. Do keep in mind that the higher one goes, there are generally fewer positions anyway though, regardless of ones academic credentials, PharmD or otherwise. There are also significant power dynamics and market forces that would take a lot to discuss here that affect more senior opportunities in some companies. That said, within my network, several of us have advanced beyond director, so I know it's possible.

Last edited: