"Petty Misdemeanor" on public record. What should I do now?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sprawl2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was caught speeding on the interstate while driving in Minnesota. I just learned that all traffic and speeding tickets are recorded as a "Petty Misdemeanor" in the state, even tickets that are no more than 10 miles over the 70 MPH limit.
Sure, it is not considered a crime in Minnesota but petty misdemeanor involves drug possessions, public intoxication, and even prostitution in other states.
Now, I am faced with the problem. Should I inform my program? Should I inform my state board?!?

WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?!? FREAKING OUT

Members don't see this ad.

I was caught speeding on the interstate while driving in Minnesota. I just learned that all traffic and speeding tickets are recorded as a "Petty Misdemeanor" in the state, even tickets that are no more than 10 miles over the 70 MPH limit.
Sure, it is not considered a crime in Minnesota but petty misdemeanor involves drug possessions, public intoxication, and even prostitution in other states.
Now, I am faced with the problem. Should I inform my program? Should I inform my state board?!?

WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?!? FREAKING OUT
Calm down. It's a speeding ticket.

Inform the state board if they ask you. Some states do include moving violations in their questions, most don't. If they do, being honest that you got a speeding ticket is no big deal. CA is the strictest in the country and wants to know about every speeding ticket ever, but I've never heard of anyone not getting licensed because of that. And I know plenty of docs with plenty of speeding tickets, myself included.

Reactions: 1 user
True. Yah, it was just the name of the citation that was anxiety provoking.
Guess I should just save my $1000 and not hire a lawyer :p

If you want to fight the speeding ticket, depending on the state you may have decent odds. I got out of one by fighting it via writing because the cop simply didn't write a deposition and it was dismissed.

That said, if you were actually speeding, just pay the fine and move on.

did you just get the ticket? has been adjudicated? if not, the best thing would be to have it dismissed and not on your record...the money for the lawyer will be worth it in the long run.

did you just get the ticket? has been adjudicated? if not, the best thing would be to have it dismissed and not on your record...the money for the lawyer will be worth it in the long run.

... hire a lawyer to get out of a speeding ticket? Really?

Pay it and move on, or send me the $1000 so I can pay down some of my loans if you have that much extra coin.

Reactions: 4 users
Or plead no contest and get the ticket changed to something cheaper and with less points, like a speedometer violation or something similar. Letters to the court work in lieu of a court appearance. It always surprises me when people just pay the ticket and move on when it's just about a guarantee to get it changed to a lesser charge.

In some places, you can get "deferred adjudication" on a speeding ticket...it comes with the condition that you don't receive any other violations for a set amount of time, (like a year) then they remove it off of your record.

No one shows how much licensing bodies will care quite as well as smokin' Jay Cutler.

dont-care.jpg

Every licensing application I've ever filled out asks about any crimes other than minor traffic offenses. This is nothing to worry about.

Traffic school -> Dismissed charge -> No record!

The Texas special. Can be used once a year to eliminate a ticket. They even have online courses available.
Same with California, online course.

I think it also has varies by County $60-$70 and didn't have a ticket for another year, they'd defer adjudication. It makes it obvious that it's about the money and not safety (well, that and city cops patrolling the interstate).

I know it sounds crazy but seriously use a lawyer. Using one I was able to not get points added to my license and overall fee decreased. It more than paid for itself which I had never even considered prior to a google search and finding out the cost.

And to think I just paid my traffic ticket without a second thought last year........

Don’t overthink this. Pay and move on. The traffic school is a good option if you want, but doesn’t really matter no Medical board cares how many points are on your license.

And to think I just paid my traffic ticket without a second thought last year........

Don’t overthink this. Pay and move on. The traffic school is a good option if you want, but doesn’t really matter no Medical board cares how many points are on your license.
... unless you get said points for a DUI. That they will care about (a lot!). But speeding they dgaf.

Traffic school ->No points ->Not reported to car insurance -> no increase in rate.