Personal Statement Structure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaGingerbreadman

Reaction score
Hello all. I’m applying to some SMPs this cycle and am wondering how best to structure my PS. They have linkage to med school so it’s the same as my med school statement would be.

I don’t have any research exp, but I have an abundance of clinical hours 2000+ in a variety of fields. I’ve also lived abroad for a few years and majored in business for a few years (which negatively impacted my gpa). I don’t think I ever had some epiphany moment at all, I just kind of defaulted to this career path due to family pressure, but the idea has grown on me due to experience. I could see myself being a physician for the rest of my life I think. So I don’t want to use some epiphany trope cause I feel like it would ring hollow, and I feel like I need to explain why I majored in business and how living in other countries gave me cultural competency.

I’m wanting to start off with an anecdote about my business and then use each paragraph to talk about a different medical experience and how it’s made me interested in different types of practices (anecdote about working with my hands and interest in surgical specialties, counseling people and a more cognitive specialty, etc) but I’m not sure if that would derail too much from WHY medicine… I don’t know if I’m doin too much, but I DO think I have an interesting background and I want to leverage it as much as possible in my narrative

Members don't see this ad.