Personal Statement -- Help and Proofreading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did this service help you?

• :thumbup:I used this service and I got accepted to at least 1 school.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • :thumbdown:I used this service and I didn't get accepted at all.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • :confused:I used this service, I don't think it affected my acceptances or rejections.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
Has anyone written the very generic PS question, "Why are you applying to blah blah blah school?" The topic seems okay, but it's really hard to start with and I seriously don't know what to put in there. Should I put the greatness of their curriculum, weather, professors, student life, research, the town itself, etc... If so, how is any of these personal?

It's personal because your reasons for applying to the school only apply to you. Generally the school wants to ensure you have a desire to go there. Basically if they spend the time to review your paperwork, interview you, get your financial aid ready, etc. that you are not going to reject them and go somewhere else instead. Granted, I think the average applicant applies to ~4 schools, so there's really no way they can guarantee rejection won't happen, but it can be a filtering mechanism.

In answer to your question about content, they're generally not going to be swayed by environmental factors (location, climate, etc), but you can mention them. All of the listed options could be considered for content. Research, faculty, special programs (i.e. dual degrees) would probably be considered your primary subjects. If you don't know about them, get informed. You can almost guarantee if they ask about it on supplementals, there's a good chance you'll get asked again during interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone written the very generic PS question, "Why are you applying to blah blah blah school?" The topic seems okay, but it's really hard to start with and I seriously don't know what to put in there. Should I put the greatness of their curriculum, weather, professors, student life, research, the town itself, etc... If so, how is any of these personal?

Reasons for going to a school (with some points Farmercyst has already mentioned):

-Location - climate, near your house, a lot of opportunities in that area (like MD has NIH, etc)
-Type of research they do (take a look at the professors there)
-Special programs (dual programs, accelerated)
-the type of schedule (block, semester, etc)
-any unique rotations/opportunities
-class size
-any type of interaction you've had w/ them (ex: I met them during open house and I've yet to meet any faculty and staff as nice as them)

Hmm, when I think of more I'll edit the post :)

This is not meant to be an essay sharing service. We are actually trying to avoid the spreading of PS's by proofreading original works and returning them to the author alone. For all the hassle xcvbvcfgh made those of us that helped him go through, I'm surprised he's even proposing this.

i was only joking.. i cant believe he is actually saying this... maybe there is something behind it..lol if he sends a essay means he is being really honest... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've removed myself from the list, but if you've sent me a PS, I will be getting it back to you. If you need me to re-review a PS I've done before, I'll still look at it as well, though a 2nd or 10th opinion may not hurt either.

I've removed myself from the list, but if you've sent me a PS, I will be getting it back to you. If you need me to re-review a PS I've done before, I'll still look at it as well, though a 2nd or 10th opinion may not hurt either.

To all of those people who are looking for PS readers - hang tight - the people that have been proofreading are kind of tied up in starting school right now. Trust me when I tell you it is a heck of a transition. I will be starting a search for new PS proofreaders in the near future...

Until then, utilize the resources in your area - ie the writing center on campus, or a skilled writer that is a close friend.

Regards,

~above~

To all of those people who are looking for PS readers - hang tight - the people that have been proofreading are kind of tied up in starting school right now. Trust me when I tell you it is a heck of a transition. I will be starting a search for new PS proofreaders in the near future...

Until then, utilize the resources in your area - ie the writing center on campus, or a skilled writer that is a close friend.

Regards,

~above~

plzz do that..i think my PS is gona screw me really badly...:scared:
so i can use alot of help:(

PM me for any PS help

To be an SDN proofreader - you must already be accepted to, or already matriculated at a professional school. While I appreciate your interest in assisting those in need - I would recommend against anyone sending their PS to someone to proofread simply because they post and say they will help.

This thread was created in direct response to the amount of people posting offers to help - with the goal in mind to steal another person's PS.

~above~

guys also beware of people that have their status up as "Pharmacy Student"

i could easily change my status and offer to read your PS...even though i'm still pre-pharm

ok.. i dont send it to anyone unless they are approved by the sdn admin. or its shows from their posts they are accepted:thumbup:

To those interested in having your Personal Statement proofread - Please note the following:

- Use caution when deciding whom to send your PS to - on an anonymous forum, information can easily be plagiarized.
- Utilize the following list for those willing to proofread personal statements - they will all be P1's in the Fall (2007)
- For questions, comments, complaints, or critiques - feel free to PM me (aboveliquidice)

Proofreaders:

LECOMorBUST - LECOM - Lake Erie Campus
trojanRX - USC
drugdoc - Creighton, Web Based
Utterdevotion - UMB
zeke1955 - Texas Tech
abt04 - Nova Southeastern University
binghamkid - UMB - Also an SDN Advisor
StringTheorist - University of Florida
ForcedEntry - University of Florida

A useful guide to writing a PS can be find in the Pre-Allo forum here: (Credit to All4mydaughter)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=375844

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS>>>>

Likewise - this is NOT a place to ask for someone to send you a PS. You should write your own - and then have it proofread.

Happy writing :D :thumbup:

This thread is brought to you by the SDN Pharmacy Volunteer Staff and maintained by SDN Advisor, aboveliquidice.

Everyone here is so friendly. I wish it would be like this in pharmacy school, optometry school, or even medical school. Medical school is so cool.

Good luck.

You can add me to the list. I have eight years of writing experience. I can proofread, edit, and make comments to any essays - pharmacy, optometry, and medical. I think I can help people get into pharmacy school. I have plenty of time on my hands. I am open to help others. If you have not e-submitted your pharmcas application, that is good. Contact me and I will help you perfect your essays. Some of my friends who got into pharmacy schools gave me a copy of their essays. I will gladly help those in need of perfecting their essays. PM me or quote below.

My email is: [email protected]

My name is Peter.

You think someone is going to trust you? A quick Google search for your email address turns up your scam ads that you posted on craigslist.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sls/417802857.html

Oh, look at the bolded text above and below. See a resemblance?

Hello.

I can proofread your essay. I have experience in writing. I have many friends who got into pharmacy schools and they shared with me their pharmacy school essays. I have about six or seven personal statements from pharmacists and friends who are either in pharmacy school now or have been accepted for this year. I think I can help some people get into pharmacy school by sharing those essays I have. I have also written an essay myself that is rather better than those sample essays combined. Please email me or PM me if you would like some help with personal statements and what they should contain.

Thanks.

Just to clarify - xcvbvcfgh was NOT given PS proofreader status - he was unearthed as a scam before - and it certainly looks like he has a new user here as well

Thanks Knick

~above~

Members don't see this ad :)

good work.. its so obvious from the two posts its HIM...lol...if he was smart he would actually write a PS in all this time he is wasting

good work.. its so obvious from the two posts its HIM...lol...if he was smart he would actually write a PS in all this time he is wasting

I don't think this person has any interest in getting into pharmacy. If you search for the various email addresses he uses, you'll see all sorts of scamming activities.

He harvests and sells stuff like Kaplan course exams and answer sets for text books. The current email address shows that he is involved in various eBay scams. I bet that he's probably also trying to profit from personal statements in some way. He probably intends to harvest and sell.

What a terrible existence that must be.

Hi. I have a question about Pharmacy school personal statement. Do I basically answer why I want to become a pharmacist in it? I am currently a fresh/sophmore so I was a bit confused. Also, if someone has a statement that they don't mind sharing, can you pm it to me so that I can see what it is supposed to be like? Thanks

Hi. I have a question about Pharmacy school personal statement. Do I basically answer why I want to become a pharmacist in it? I am currently a fresh/sophmore so I was a bit confused. Also, if someone has a statement that they don't mind sharing, can you pm it to me so that I can see what it is supposed to be like? Thanks

Most PS requests give a prompt. Usually that prompt directs you to answer a question or questions relating to "why pharmacy?" Be careful to address any details required by the prompt. If there is no prompt, then yes you need to cover why pharmacy. Generally this includes your discovery of the pharmacy profession, what steps you've taken to explore that interest, and what steps you've taken to pursue that interest once you decided to that pharmacy was for you. (Essentially, education, experiential learning, and anything else that relates you developing youself as a future pharmacist.)

If I've left anything out, other posters will probably cover it. Also search
"Personal statement". It should help by pulling up a multitude of threads since this subject is covered at least 10 times per application cycle.

hey,
im sorry i havent been very responsive lately. yes, aboveliquidice is right, the transition from just working or undergrad to pharm school is such a hassle. trying having about 1 to 2 tests a week every week and albeit, it sounds like something you might have done in undergrad, it feels like a whole new level in pharm school. but i am happy to give you a brief overview of your essay, it wont be a full analytical critic, which i really apologize if i am wasting anyone's time. but hey, as someone else already said before, its better to have at least 2 or even 10 opinions on an essay.

good luck you guys

ann

Hi all!

I've written a draft of my PS and I was wondering if any of the forum PS readers are willing to review it?

Thanks!

I really want some input from someone on "the other side of the trenches" who has been through this before!

I really appreciate this thread and those who are willing to help critique :D
You guys rock!

:rolleyes: This is CRAZY!

People - personal essays are just that: PERSONAL!

In my countless conversations with the admissions personnel of the different schools to which I'm applying, the consistent overriding theme is: You need to be YOU! They want to know MORE ABOUT YOU...not how you can regurgitate what others have written in some different form!

You don't think that after hundreds of personal essays, they're not going to notice similar nuances running through different essays? WAKE UP!

Be YOURSELF - TALK ABOUT YOUR PAST, YOUR AMBITIONS, YOUR GOALS, etc.

Excellent grammar and word choice are givens, but you have to be yourself...and none of these "proofreaders" can help you with that.

:rolleyes: This is CRAZY!

People - personal essays are just that: PERSONAL!

In my countless conversations with the admissions personnel of the different schools to which I'm applying, the consistent overriding theme is: You need to be YOU! They want to know MORE ABOUT YOU...not how you can regurgitate what others have written in some different form!

You don't think that after hundreds of personal essays, they're not going to notice similar nuances running through different essays? WAKE UP!

Be YOURSELF - TALK ABOUT YOUR PAST, YOUR AMBITIONS, YOUR GOALS, etc.

Excellent grammar and word choice are givens, but you have to be yourself...and none of these "proofreaders" can help you with that.

I think you are mistaken as to what we, as proofreaders, do. YOU write your personal statement, and YOU talk about your past, your ambitions, and your goals. Obviously, we don't know what they are.
And then if you trust us, you send them to use to review, to see if you've answered the prompt (a lot of people have trouble talking about WHY they chose pharmacy, but instead tell us about their many experiences and what makes them a good pharmacist). We don't write your essays, and we rarely ever give input on what to put in it; because we don't know why you chose to do pharmacy, only you do!

BTW, if anyone is waiting for an essay from me...I'm running REALLY behind! sorry guys! I extra promise, by Thursday morning, they will all be in your mailboxes!!!!! Thank god for rotation week...

I think you are mistaken as to what we, as proofreaders, do. YOU write your personal statement, and YOU talk about your past, your ambitions, and your goals. Obviously, we don't know what they are.
And then if you trust us, you send them to use to review, to see if you've answered the prompt (a lot of people have trouble talking about WHY they chose pharmacy, but instead tell us about their many experiences and what makes them a good pharmacist). We don't write your essays, and we rarely ever give input on what to put in it; because we don't know why you chose to do pharmacy, only you do!

BTW, if anyone is waiting for an essay from me...I'm running REALLY behind! sorry guys! I extra promise, by Thursday morning, they will all be in your mailboxes!!!!! Thank god for rotation week...

Since I have a B.A. in English from the University of Washington and currently proofread papers for 100- and 200- college-level english courses at the local community college, I THINK...just MAYBE...I MIGHT have SOME IDEA of what proofreaders do...MAYBE.:rolleyes:

Lesson #1: Don't ASSume.

Lesson #2: CAREFULLY reread my post - all you did was reinforce my points. (Answering the prompts is a given - if they can't comprehend that concept, why would I even want to trust them with my prescriptions?!)

As implied by both you and I, proofreaders are limited to restructuring, grammar, spelling, etc. The essence comes from the applicant.

Regards.

ive been sending PM's...to people...no one is replying!...i need some to read my PS one LAST TIME!....if any1 has time...please let me...caz when i send messages either they dont get it...or dont have time...sooo please pm is u can read mine....thanks :)

Hi, Utterdevotion, I am new to this forum and I am in need of someone who can help me with my PE. Do you think you may have time to proof read mine even though you are so swamped already? I am not sure what the procedure is to do this, and the dealine for my school is NOv 1st, I had been busy preapring Oct PCAT :eek:and now that is done, I need to work hard on this, thanks ahead and please let me know:)

Dear idealtonic,
I'm probably not really qualified to give you advice on getting into pharmacy school as I'm applying right now and have no insider knowledge, but just my personal opinion, I feel you shouldn't have to downplay what you've been through or not include the EC that you were a peer educator for the GLBT center for goodness sake (what a strong EC!) just to play it safe. I can understand why you would think this way though. We don't live in a perfect world and perhaps you don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable, but any pharm school admissions committee that will read your essay (you sound extremely articulate and thoughtful, 2 important characteristics of a good pharmacist) and not judge you just like anyone else out there, would be that pharm. school's loss. I'm not telling you to definitely talk about your trans experience but just to not to let the fact that there are ignorant people out there force you to hide certain aspects of yourself that should be looked at as strengths.

I believe you, I think you could easily submit an application without mentioning any of the trans aspect of your life and get in, and maybe that's the smart way to do things but IMHO I think you should try and be as true to yourself as you can.

Good luck with the pharm apps whatever u decide, It's a tough call.

Dear idealtonic,
I'm probably not really qualified to give you advice on getting into pharmacy school as I'm applying right now and have no insider knowledge, but just my personal opinion...

Hi Kattster,

Thanks for replying to my question. Your insight has definitely given me some direction on where to take this dilemma as well as how much information to include about my ECs. I am pretty sure I'm not going to out myself as trans on my PS, but needed some reaffirmation on handling the situation.

Good luck with your application!

Can someone proof my Personal Statement? I PMed about 5 or more of those proofers listed but haven't gotten a response(except one),
THANKS!

Hi guys,
I am one of the PS readers listed. Unfortunately, I have not had time to proofread as many PSs as I would have liked since I have been in pharmacy school. However, if you have any questions about pharmacy school in general or just need words of encouragement, feel free to message me. I had a 2.99 and got in to UF, so there is ALWAYS hope. Best of luck to you all!

I believe you, I think you could easily submit an application without mentioning any of the trans aspect of your life and get in, and maybe that's the smart way to do things but IMHO I think you should try and be as true to yourself as you can.

I think I agree with most of that statement. Yours is a very unique situation, and being trans is so much a part of who you are. I suppose it would be similar to a homosexual bringing up at an interview that they have faced specific challenges because of their sexual orientation. That is true, but that does add another layer of complexity to the situation. If I were you, which I'm not so this may not be the right decision for you, I would not bring it up unless asked. I would definately talk about your involvement with the GLBT center, but unless asked I would probably leave it out of the interview. If they ask then I wouldn't deny it, but reveal about how it shaped my perspectives and enabled me to overcome challenges. I mean some people have debilitating chronic conditions that are a challenge to success, but I don't know if they mention them in an interview. Maybe they do, I don't know. . .

Hi
I had two interviews last year, and was on the alternate list. Do I have to rewrite my personal statement? Anyone in the same situation? any advice?
Thanks

Hi
I had two interviews last year, and was on the alternate list. Do I have to rewrite my personal statement? Anyone in the same situation? any advice?
Thanks

I'd review your application from last year and look for what the shortcomings were. If you feel the PS was not the problem, but something else like experience, etc were, then you might not have to completely rewrite it, but I would definitely take a look at what has changed in the past year and see if some of that warrants being added. Generally the past year should have been for experiences that boost your application. These may warrant being added to your PS.

For those who want their PS reviewed, I am willing to help. After being accepted, I have a lot of free time on my hands. PM me because I rarely go on these forums..

Can anyone please help me with proofreading and critiquing my Northeastern Personal Statement? The application is due in a month or so and i want to get it in soonest. I would really appreciate it. thanks

I am applying for University of Washington School of Pharm and I need someone to proofread my personal statement. I will appreciate it so much.

Thank you

Too funny. I just realized from reading through this post that writing my personal statement is possibly harder than any of the classes I've taken so far (Organics, Genetics, Microbiology).

Or is it just that I am making it harder and adding more stress to it? :scared:

If there's any need for last minute proofreading, I'm free these next few weeks since it's winter break (FINALLY), and would be glad to help you all out :)

Good luck everyone! :)

I have a PS to proofread if anyone is willing to read it, can you PM me?

thanks a lot.

Just found out I've been accepted into MWU-CPG starting this June.

While I know their deadline has passed, if you are in need of a last-minute proofreader, I'm available...regardless of the school.

*IF* your PS is NOT for pharmcas, be sure to include the targeted school and their prompts.

NOTE: I went through 20+ rewrites for my pharmcas PS, which included several proofreadings by 5 people I TRUSTED to be brutally honest and objective, so don't expect anything less from me. (And I have a degree in English and STILL took a few weeks before I was satisfied with my PS).

PM me if needed.

Regards.

Too funny. I just realized from reading through this post that writing my personal statement is possibly harder than any of the classes I've taken so far (Organics, Genetics, Microbiology).

Or is it just that I am making it harder and adding more stress to it? :scared:

It's definitely hard...possibly harder than those classes, because you are trying to distinguish yourself from hundreds (and in my case, thousands) of applicants. We all have taken the same classes and have approximately the same grades and PCAT scores and excellent LORs from esteemed sources. The PS is the only thing that sets us apart.

Good luck.

I am applying for University of Washington School of Pharm and I need someone to proofread my personal statement. I will appreciate it so much.

Thank you

PM me and I'll take a look at it. Got my BA from UDUB. GO HUSKIES!! Good luck.

Can someone on the list look at my personal statement?

Hi guys, anyone willing to proofread my ps, I am applying for admission in uk and need URGENT help.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is willing to proofread my personal statement and give me advice on what should I omit or add into my personal statement. I hope I can get it back later tonite?

I have a quick question about the PS, should I put my name on the header or just leave it out b/c I have to send it as an email attachment with my name in the subject

Thank You

I have asked almost every single user on the OP's proofreader list to read my statement. Only one person has responded, unfortunately that person had many exams in the near future. If there is anyone on that list who is still willing to actually help, please let me know...