PharmCAS wrong personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abalD

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So in a frenzy, I was editing my friend's personal statement and as well as mine. I was rushed into submitting the PHARMCAS app for early decision, so I mistakenly went to google docs and copy and pasted my friend's personal statement rather than mine. I found out about this 1 hour prior to my interview, because I went to on PharmCas just to study my app a little before the interview. I notified the school's admission consultant and I notified Pharmcas aswell about this situation. The school told me to send my personal statement and I just finished my interview.

How done am I guys, holy crap I know I'm stupid but this is a pure mistake. I wouldn't knowingly take a personal statement that not mine, filled with someone else's goals/family names/etc,. I submitted my old personal statement last year, and I have proof.
Has anyone ever went through something like this, or have heard of anyone being able to update their statement after submitting?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

So in a frenzy, I was editing my friend's personal statement and as well as mine. I was rushed into submitting the PHARMCAS app for early decision, so I mistakenly went to google docs and copy and pasted my friend's personal statement rather than mine. I found out about this 1 hour prior to my interview, because I went to on PharmCas just to study my app a little before the interview. I notified the school's admission consultant and I notified Pharmcas aswell about this situation. The school told me to send my personal statement and I just finished my interview.

How done am I guys, holy crap I know I'm stupid but this is a pure mistake. I wouldn't knowingly take a personal statement that not mine, filled with someone else's goals/family names/etc,. I submitted my old personal statement last year, and I have proof.
Has anyone ever went through something like this, or have heard of anyone being able to update their statement after submitting?

The closest thing I've seen is someone using their personal statement word for word from the cycle prior and was flagged from PharmCAS. Plagiarism is plagiarism even if its your own work.

As for your situation, I couldn't say what may happen. Depending on the program interviewing you, you may be alright but that is up to the application committee group as to what they feel is necessary. If everything else on your app is good (ie GPA, experience, ECs, etc) they may be ok as long as you submit your own personal statement in a timely manner. Only way to find out is to wait.

Reactions: 1 user
The closest thing I've seen is someone using their personal statement word for word from the cycle prior and was flagged from PharmCAS. Plagiarism is plagiarism even if its your own work.

As for your situation, I couldn't say what may happen. Depending on the program interviewing you, you may be alright but that is up to the application committee group as to what they feel is necessary. If everything else on your app is good (ie GPA, experience, ECs, etc) they may be ok as long as you submit your own personal statement in a timely manner. Only way to find out is to wait.

Thanks for the reply, so submitting your personal statement from last year is considered plagiarism? I never even knew that, my P2 friend actually told me just to resubmit my old statement...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply, so submitting your personal statement from last year is considered plagiarism?

Yes. Some people in times past have been flagged for doing just that. Simply rephrase your previous personal statement and avoid any possible conflict altogether.

Yes. Some people in times past have been flagged for doing just that. Simply rephrase your previous personal statement and avoid any possible conflict altogether.

Thank you sir!

have u heard anything back from Pharmcas yet about using your friend's personal statement? do u use personal statement from last yr?

have u heard anything back from Pharmcas yet about using your friend's personal statement? do u use personal statement from last yr?
So I contacted PharmCAS once again and they informed me that this was forwarded to management and they'll review it. Yes, I unfortunately used my letter from last year because I was told by MULTIPLE individuals that it is fine, should've read the damn conduct.

I'm just praying the admission committee where I interviewed at can just overlook this and take the personal statement I emailed.

So I contacted PharmCAS once again and they informed me that this was forwarded to management and they'll review it. Yes, I unfortunately used my letter from last year because I was told by MULTIPLE individuals that it is fine, should've read the damn conduct.

I'm just praying the admission committee where I interviewed at can just overlook this and take the personal statement I emailed.
Did u read the instructions before u reapply? Once you submit the application, Pharmcas assumed that you understand and agree with the instructions. It clearly told you that LOR and personal statement have to be new. The only thing stays the same is the personal profile.
Well, the worst-case scenario is they will put the application on hold for 1 yr. Therefore, u can reapply again next yr. For school, I don't know how they respond when they see your application have a past history of plagiarism.

Did u read the instructions before u reapply? Once you submit the application, Pharmcas assumed that you understand and agree with the instructions. It clearly told you that LOR and personal statement have to be new. The only thing stays the same is the personal profile.
Well, the worst-case scenario is they will put the application on hold for 1 yr. Therefore, u can reapply again next yr. For school, I don't know how they respond when they see your application have a past history of plagiarism.
Lol I bet this kid still gets in

Hello everyone,

Sorry to hear that. Let's hope for the best, and keep checking with PharmCas for updates. Keep us updated as well! Good Luck!!!

So your friend had you write his personal statement, then you plagiarized yourself? Wow.

Don't worry I'm sure you'll get in. Schools are desperate to fill their seats these days. They're not going to let this get in the way of their $200,000.