Personal connection with a surgeon through shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

You shall know the Truth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am spending a lot of free time with a surgical service at the hospital I am rotating at. I have enjoyed the time because they are great teachers and I have gained an appreciation for an area of medicine I never even considered before. Any advice on formally talking to them about pursuing their specialty as a career?

Members don't see this ad.

Just say “ I’ve had a great time learning about surgery and I want to be a surgeon now because of it. Have any advice or tips?” Ask about the next steps towards your goal of being a surgeon. It shouldn’t be too hard since you’ been hanging out with them and they know you.

Reactions: 1 users
Just say “ I’ve had a great time learning about surgery and I want to be a surgeon now because of it. Have any advice or tips?” Ask about the next steps towards your goal of being a surgeon. It shouldn’t be too hard since you’ been hanging out with them and they know you.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I would ask to setup a meeting. First, this gives you uninterrupted time to talk to the surgeon one-on-one and share your thought process and pick their brain for advice. Second, this also allows you to ask for a LOR going forward. Be sure to have an up to date CV ready. The next step is about finding your way into interacting with current surgical residents as they'll have advice on the interview trail and various programs. Third, congrats on pursuing a career in surgery. Cheers.

I would ask to setup a meeting. First, this gives you uninterrupted time to talk to the surgeon one-on-one and share your thought process and pick their brain for advice. Second, this also allows you to ask for a LOR going forward. Be sure to have an up to date CV ready. The next step is about finding your way into interacting with current surgical residents as they'll have advice on the interview trail and various programs. Third, congrats on pursuing a career in surgery. Cheers.
Than you for the advice. I love my time in the OR.