Personal concerns about Breast implants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompa loompa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few things to add..

1. Do you really think that family/friends won't notice when you go from an A to a C? I mean these people have known you for so long. They'll either assume you had implants or are pregnant.

2. If your parents are aware of how much this is affecting you life and self-confidence, then I imagine they'll go along for the ride. Sure the thought of their daughter having surgery and all might be a little scary, but I bet a frank and honest discussion with them about your feelings would go a long way.

Give this some serious thought and if you decide you want it, then to hell with what mom/dad/future SO, etc think. Good luck!

I agree with the above poster and wanted to add a couple of thoughts on my own.

Since you mention that you lack self-confidence because of the size of your breasts and that this has had some wide reaching affects on your past relationships, it seems to me that you would find it difficult to establish the kind of open, honest and mutually supportive relationship, including physical and emotional intimacy, pre-operatively.

Given the depth of your angst, I find it rather difficult to understand why you would want to keep this from your friends, but would be willing to wait until you meet a man, develop a relationshipm,and get his approval or at least support before considering the surgery.

However, MOST IMPORTANTLY, IMHO, is the fact that no surgery, even breast augmentation is without risk. Those risks include death. I find it incredibly selfish and immature that you would consider a procedure which puts you at risk for many potentially injurious complications, including death, without discussing it with your family. You are an adult and as such, have the right to make such decisions without the influence of your family. But unless you are totally estranged from them, I would think they should at least have the right to know that you may be engaging in an activity which could affect the entire family profoundly.

So in answer to your question about whether your plan sounds reasonable: it does not, IMHO. I have no problem with aesthetic plastic surgery, and in fact, when one's appearance results in such lack of self-esteem that it affects your daily life and relationships, I would suggest it be given some thought. A good surgeon will also want to make sure you are being rational about the surgery and your expectations. Larger breasts will not bring you happiness nor will it result in better, more intimate relationships with men. You should have the surgery for you and no one else (its a cliche, but true). A good surgeon will also want to know that you have a reasonable post-op plan and someone to support and take care of you - you will need someone with you the first 24 hours post-op and since it will be likely that you will be unable to drive for awhile, you will need someone available to take you to appointments, etc. If its a new SO, then so be it, but to try and keep this secret from family and friends (who will figure it out once they see you - at least in a bathing suit, or some other form of dress which makes it apparent that you aren't wearing a padded bra), seems less than practical or reasonable to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should definitely give this some more thought. I am at the opposite end of the spectrum, and for years I seriously considered getting a breast reduction. I couldn't run without bouncing and hurting, and I hated having to buy XL in shirts, not to mention getting stared at by every man I encountered. I'm less than five feet tall, and used to wear vests and two or three shirts to cover myself up.

I used to think that I could go through the procedure, because I was miserable with back aches and so self conscious about being stared at. Then I realized I probably wouldn't be able to breastfeed if I had the surgery. And I read about other people's stories, and how long and painful the recovery is. Also, the thought of people I knew seeing me afterwards and wondering how I'd gotten smaller also really bothered me. The scarring didn't look too attractive either. I ended up having an emergency abdominal surgery when I was 19, and realized how hard it is to recover from some precedures.

So I rethought my decision, and decided that I didn't want to put myself through that. What if I changed my mind later? What if something went wrong and I got an infection, or had to have more procedures to fix the problem? I also want to have kids, so I didn't want to give up my only chance of breastfeeding. I figured I'd survived puberty and high school looking the way I did, so making it through the rest of my life would be cake after that.

I know your situation is different from mine. But you do have the option of wearing bras that have gel or silicone in them that simulate the look and feel of a bigger cup size. And you also can take them off at night and be comfortable sleeping on your stomach, or working out without all that weight on your back.

It is a shame our society places such an emphasis on breast size, because if it hadn't then you wouldn't be so insecure. As an example, consider how much our society encourages promiscuity. On TV and in movies, people are having sex on their first dates, and when we were growing up we probably worried who would be the first among our group of friends to sleep with someone. But at the same time many males and females are still waiting for marriage. Both types of behavior are accepted by society, except one is more encouraged than the other.

But you need to weigh the benefits against the risks, and decide if you are willing to go through that kind of pain. I know I wouldn't make such a drastic change without consulting my family first. It is embarrassing, especially if your female family members are well endowed, but definitely worth discussing with your family.

The most important thing to remember is that your worth isn't determined by your cup size. We are all concerned about how we compare with our society's ideals, but your family doesn't look at you and see you as a failure just because you're not a C or D. Neither do your friends, and if your boyfriend does then he's probably not worth your time.

As I've grown older, I've realized that I just don't care about my size anymore. I think about it when I go shopping and can't buy the cute little shirts because my bra would show or the XL is too small or I can't get away with not wearing a bra under strapless dresses. but I'm not insecure around my friends or family anymore. I've learned to accept myself the way I am, and I think I'm happier for it.

I don't know how tall you are, or whether you're thin or are a bit on the heavy side, but I've seen all kinds of women with all kinds of body types look good with nothing to speak of in the bra area. I think if you look at different kinds of clothes then you can find something to show off your strengths, like long legs or big eyes. Color can make a big difference, too. Wearing pretty bright colors can bring out the best features in a person so much more so than neutrals or dark colors.

This surgery might be something you regret in the future, so maybe you should wait a few years before making a final decision. I know you stated that you were considering it for the future, and I think that's good. You can have it done at any age, I assume, and I think you will benefit from doing some more self-exploration and discovery. Talk to your close friends about it, and maybe your mother or sister if you have one. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I'm glad I didn't rush into a breast reduction without some serious reflection on the subject.

I also suggest you go see your doctor, someone you trust, and ask his/her opinion. This person will know your medical history, and be able to advise you better than we on this forum. I hope you can make a decision that you will be happy with. Good luck with your dilemma. :luck:

Surely someone else has something to add to this? I thought just about everyone knew of someone who had had an augmentation.

mustangsally65 said:
Surely someone else has something to add to this? I thought just about everyone knew of someone who had had an augmentation.

Personally, I think breast implants are disgusting. I would never get them. I understand the need for reconstructive purposes, but for strictly cosmetic reasons they disgust me. Last night on tv I watched a young woman in the UK go from a DD to an E because they weren't big enough for her! I guess the reason I don't like them is because I've seen how they go in and it makes me sick. There are two things I can't handle - eye surgery and breast implants. I guess I will have to get over it!

I understand all of your concerns, but have you people ever hooked up wth a girl with breast augmentation? Oh. My. God.

dannyl said:
I understand all of your concerns, but have you people ever hooked up wth a girl with breast augmentation? Oh. My. God.

Uhm, I think most of us who have posted on this thread are female. So probably not. :D

I've seen on some posts in the Lounge that a lot of guys dislike girls who've had implants. They claim they aren't as nice as natural breasts. I, however, wouldn't know, as a heterosexual female.

But I think it's wrong of guys to want their girls to go through this surgery and its associated pain and possible complications just to please them. And I could never get implants myself, as the above poster mentioned. It kind of disgusts me, too, because you shouldn't mess with your cleavage surgically unless it's absolutely necessary. Why go through that kind of pain?

dannyl said:

Agreed. Kudos, brother.

TNS

dannyl said:

Ughh... breast implants -sometimes- look better than small natural ones, but all implants develop scar induced contractions eventually, and at that point they look fake and VERY unattractive. Oftentimes even disgusting.

As far as feeling/playing with fake breasts, I much prefer small real breasts to implants, anytime. Come on, who -really- prefers the feel of firm/hard fake breasts to real ones??!

The_Id said:
Ughh... breast implants -sometimes- look better than small natural ones, but all implants develop scar induced contractions eventually, and at that point they look fake and VERY unattractive. Oftentimes even disgusting.

As far as feeling/playing with fake breasts, I much prefer small real breasts to implants, anytime. Come on, who -really- prefers the feel of firm/hard fake breasts to real ones??!

Amen! :thumbup:
Besides, the bigger they are the harder they fall (later on).

The_Id said:

I hope the OP is reading this, and thinking about these points of view. I think these are really good reasons not to get implants.