perfusionist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicoborja

Clinical Audiologist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any opinions on the field of perfusion technology? I think most programs are either a post-bacc certificate or an M.S. It seems like maybe potential candidates would be those who are resp therapists, nurses, biology majors, etc. (maybe similar applicant pool to that of P.A. or A.A. programs). I think they make a pretty good salary, maybe around 60 or 70 k. Hope thats not too far off. Just curious about the field. Anyone have any interest or opinions on the field?

Members don't see this ad.

chicoborja said:
Anybody have any opinions on the field of perfusion technology? I think most programs are either a post-bacc certificate or an M.S. It seems like maybe potential candidates would be those who are resp therapists, nurses, biology majors, etc. (maybe similar applicant pool to that of P.A. or A.A. programs). I think they make a pretty good salary, maybe around 60 or 70 k. Hope thats not too far off. Just curious about the field. Anyone have any interest or opinions on the field?

The hospital where I used to work at had a couple of perfusionists who would come in to do the open hearts and they used to do work at 3 other hospitals in the area (Southern California). According to them, they were easily pulling in 150K+ a year, but they had been doing it for awhile.

At That Salary They Probably Own/rent The Machine Too.....this Is A Typical Set Up...

Members don't see this ad :)
Quite a few people seem to get excited about the salary that CRNAs make. It seems as though perfusionists are right up there too. I wonder why it is that nobody gets excited about this field. Could it be the small number of training programs, low demand, or because its such a small field?

Very Boring Work.....hook Up Machine, Stand There For Duration Of Procedure, Unhook Machine...repeat......

emedpa said:
Very Boring Work.....hook Up Machine, Stand There For Duration Of Procedure, Unhook Machine...repeat......

In 1979, I went to CP school at Texas Heart Institute. Did 85 cases and six months of school and quit. Just like you said...boring...and not the type of job you want to fall asleep at! Also went 3 days once without seeing the sun, in before sunup, out at dark.

Contrary to what has been posted on this thread, my opinion is that perfusion is not a boring job. Especially with the new advances with Ventricular Assist Devices the perfusionists play an integral part of cardiac surgery teams. The market demand is not low. No you don't stand for the case, as the perfusionist, you sit for the duration of the case. The hours are reasonable and comparable to CT-Surgery PAs. I think its a great field and I know there are some CT-Surgery PAs that are perfusionists as well. Mostly in the Rocky Mountain States and in the Army, this trend hasn't caught on anywhere else. It's a good field with good opportunities check out some of the perfusion websites online for more objective information.

CTS-PA said:
Contrary to what has been posted on this thread, my opinion is that perfusion is not a boring job. Especially with the new advances with Ventricular Assist Devices the perfusionists play an integral part of cardiac surgery teams. The market demand is not low. No you don't stand for the case, as the perfusionist you sit for the case. The hours are reasonable and comparable to CT-Surgery PAs. I think its a great field and I know there are some CT-Surgery PAs that are perfusionists as well. Mostly in the Rocky Mountain States and in the Army, this trend hasn't caught on anywhere else. It's a good field with good opportunities check out some of the perfusion websites online for more objective information.

Of course it all depends on where you've been. After a background as a Army medic and RN in a trauma center, I guess I should have known that to me, perfusion would be about the most boring thing I've done. But I can see where the world of CT surgery ranks way up there for some.

Is it worth it to get the MS degree over the certificate?

Also, how is the job market?

I was really interested in perfusion but I heard that it was hard to land a job. Any insight from those of you that work with perfusionists would be appreciated!

P.S. I don't mind if it's boring. I've had the opportunity to shadow in surgery and I thought it was pretty neat.

*edited for grammatical errors*

Like most things in life it comes down to who you know, make sure to network during your rotations and you won't have difficulty securing a position upon graduation. The market is good, most places here in NY will offer students positions as they complete rotations, if they made a good impression as a student. I suggest that you go for the MS rather than the certificate. This seems to be the recent trend for some allied health professions.

Yeah it's hard to land a job! Think about it, you can only work in a hosp that does cardiac surgery. A stable program may not have an opening for a decade...
An MS degree means nothing. If you are working, or a new grad, the main thing is your attitude, personality, then maybe where you got your training.
Don't enter this field on a whim. You may graduate and not find a job for 6-12 months, at which time no one is interested in hiring you, and your clinical skills are gone.
Also, the job is never boring, although it looks it to an outsider. A lot can go awfully wrong awful quick. Your career can end on any given (bad) day.

van03 said:
Yeah it's hard to land a job! Think about it, you can only work in a hosp that does cardiac surgery. A stable program may not have an opening for a decade...
An MS degree means nothing. If you are working, or a new grad, the main thing is your attitude, personality, then maybe where you got your training.
Don't enter this field on a whim. You may graduate and not find a job for 6-12 months, at which time no one is interested in hiring you, and your clinical skills are gone.
Also, the job is never boring, although it looks it to an outsider. A lot can go awfully wrong awful quick. Your career can end on any given (bad) day.
Perfusion is like sailing...hours of peace and quiet with potentially, minutes of shear terror! We have a few in the AF. They trained at Mayo if I remember right.

is this similar in any respect to anesthesia providers in the sense that it can frequently be a routine, boring job that can abruptly change to an intense situation?

chicoborja said:

I thought I might be able to answer some of chicoborja's questions. I am currently a clinical pediatric perfusionist and have worked as a perfusionist since 2000.

I have a very positive outlook on the perfusion career outlook, but I can tell you that there are some perfusionists who feel that our profession is in jeopardy due to new techniques in cardiac surgery such as off pump coronary artery bypass grafting (OPCAB). As well as advances in medical technology like drug eluting stents. OPCAB's have reduced the number of CABG's that are performed on cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB), in some practices the % of CABG's done off pump are close to 100%. However, currently all valve, and aortic surgeries still ultilize CPB. In addition the repair of most congenital heart defects still require the services of a perfusionist.

As far as salary, the most current perfusion survey states that the average salary is $94,000 and range from ($48,000 to $225,000). Those very few people who say they are making $225K are most likely perfusionist who own a private company and who are paying a lot of new grads $48k. I think a more realistic range is somewhere in the neighborhood of 70K to 120k. However, as it is with most careers the pay scale can vary greatly depending on who you work for (hospital, surgeon, private practice) as well as where you work.

There was some discussion about what we actually do as perfusionists. The majority of the time we are "pumping cases", but this is not just sitting there watching a machine. Most perfusionists have standing orders which allow them to administer anticoagulants, vasoactive drugs, diuretics, as well as drugs to maintain proper acid-base status. Other clinical activities perfusioinst perform include: heart, lung, and liver transplant, autotransfuion, ECMO, ECLS, VAD's, and IABP.

Some perfusionists work very long hours as a previous poster has stated and you may come in before the sun rises and leave long after it has set. On the other hand some perfusionists are usually done with their cases by noon and are out the door.

As far as having a master's degree, I did get one from my program. I can't say that it helps me, in fact I have never brought it up when I have interviewed for a job or when I talk about what I do. I think that as far as getting a masters degree Perfusion school offers one of the quickest ways to get that degree. Most programs are 2 years, Texas Heart has a program that is 1 year (not a Master's Level program). At the school I attended in addition to the perfusion classes we also took pathology with the PA's and Pharm D's. The pharmacology class we attended was the same as the PA's as well. We also had classes with PT students. So that should sort of give you an idea of what the typical class structure is for Perfusion students.

I find Perfusion to be a rewarding career, with opportunities to perform research and publish papers and use some of the newest technology in surgery (robotics and lasers).

Sorry about the long post, I enjoy perfusion and think its a great profession.