percentile issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgdorfl90

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how they come up with this percentiles for each section. It just seems odd that everyone( literally) have above 90% on each section, which make me feel like 90 has lost its value. I always thought it was sdn that was distorted, but a lot of people I know who took the test this summer, all got above 20AA which makes me feel like these percentiles aren't all what they claim to be. Can some1 shed some light on this? I am not being nit-picky; I just wanna understand whether 90 is really 90. Thank u all and enjoy.

Members don't see this ad.

schools don't receive percentiles, so why do you really care?

mybaa said:
I was just wondering how they come up with this percentiles for each section. It just seems odd that everyone( literally) have above 90% on each section, which make me feel like 90 has lost its value. I always thought it was sdn that was distorted, but a lot of people I know who took the test this summer, all got above 20AA which makes me feel like these percentiles aren't all what they claim to be. Can some1 shed some light on this? I am not being nit-picky; I just wanna understand whether 90 is really 90. Thank u all and enjoy.
Well, SDN is only a small fragment of the test takers and even among the SDNers, not all of them got above 20 AA. So, you are safe to feel competitive if you have 20 AA or above, which is about 90th percentile. The percentiles are also pretty accurate by the way.

Hope this helps,
Rich

i've heard that the percentiles are scores based on tests taken that day. i'm not too sure about it though. what i do know though, is last year i got a 19 in bio and that was 91.2 percentile and this year i also got on bio, but 78.1 percentile. that's a huge difference if you ask me..

I think this year DAT takers are better prepared. I scored a point higher on both chems but also noticed that the percentiles dropped a few tenths.