Percent doing fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wonder how this number has changed now? Really interesting to see the commentary from 2016 compared to now. I'd say the vast majority of my class is NOT planning on doing a fellowship, and this is a top ranked program.
You'd have to be nuts to do a fellowship these days unless you absolutely love (and can't live without) cardiac, pain, ICU, or peds.

You'd have to be actively delusional to do one of the fake fellowships (regional, OB, OR management, neuro, etc.). I'd recommend an urgent admission to a psych ward.

The only fellowship I would recommend in this moment in time is cardiac and only if you love it. There is enough differential in job opportunities and income to maybe make it worthwhile. Peds, pain, and ICU would be more of a passion thing. The fake fellowships, like OB and regional, are the same as taking half a million dollars and burning it.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OB, regional, neuro, transplant, etc might be okay if you’re set on an academic path AND have a specific job in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
I would think that in this market you could negotiate OJT for these non accredited fellowships.

I agree for most situations but there may be exceptions. For example, if you want to become regional faculty at a program that has a big regional fellowship. It may not be a good look for the program to hire faculty who don’t have the fellowship.

FWIW, about 3 years ago, 60% of my large class at an academic-emphasizing place did fellowships. I would guess with the favorable job market for generalists now that it's less than that there.