Help! ACCM fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

residentsnooze

Reaction score
Hello!
Looking for advice/opinions on anesthesia critical care fellowships

UCLA vs Stanford vs Duke vs Vanderbilt vs Brighams

Slight preference to LA for geographic location

Anyone had any positive or negative experiences with these programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

All will train you well. Go where you wanna go based on location

Reactions: 1 users
My experience is quite a bit out of date by this point (close to a decade ago now), but I recall Vandy really beat the **** out of you with regards to work hours. I had the PD send me a schedule for the month I interviewed. Assuming 0 minutes for signout, fellows still were coming up against 80hrs a week on the regular.

Back then, Duke similarly had bad hours (they were still doing 24hr calls), but I didn't interview there, so cannot say for certain.

I had an attending that trained at Stanford, and he loved it. However, he said that in some units, you'd be a consultant, and just ran the vent +/- pressors, with the primary team doing the rest of the work. Again, his experience would have been ten years ago, now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no insight about UCLA, but the other 4 are going to give you good enough training and street cred (which unfortunately is pretty important for CCM/academics).

Duke will have you facile in TEE, but their overall educational experience is limited IMO.

Hello!

Hi OP, I recently did CCM fellowship at one of the choices you mentioned and have a good friend who trained at another option on your list. PM me and I'd be happy to share my thoughts.

Went to Stanford, great fellowship with alumni all over the country - many chair's of departments have come through the CCM program (Minnesota, previous Emory). its multi-disc with a broad range of experience over many different units (MICU,SICU, CVICU, Neuro ICU) - if that isn't your cup of tea aka you prefer just SICU/CVICU probably UCLA would better suit you.

Reactions: 1 user
Duke is CT surgery heavy with TEE focus. You will also spend several weeks rotating through the cardiac ORs, so you won't be completely without OR time for an entire year. It is lighter on the MICU side though if that's important for you.

I interviewed at Duke. Yes you have minimal elective time as most of it is spent in the cardiac ORs. Of note, in the OR you are responsible for setting up the OR and managing the case. If you are looking for a place where you supervise a resident and focus on TEE, that's not right place.

UCLA vs Stanford vs Duke vs Vanderbilt vs Brigham? -- I think these are all pretty different fellowships, the major branchpoints will be how much CTICU (Duke, UCLA) versus SICU / Thoracic (Vandy, BWH) versus MICU (Stanford) time you want to specialize in.

Last edited:
Trained at Duke. CT surgery and trauma ICU heavy. Limited on MICU patient population. But got excellent training overall to function at a community hospital doing both anesthesia and ICU.