Pennsylvania scope of practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Huskies213

Huskies213
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a prospective pod student (living) and practicing in pennsylvania. I was wondering if anyone would know the scope of procedures that a PA podiatrist is able to perform? via forefoot,rearfoot, ankle etc. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Huskies213 said:
Hi guys,

I am a prospective pod student (living) and practicing in pennsylvania. I was wondering if anyone would know the scope of procedures that a PA podiatrist is able to perform? via forefoot,rearfoot, ankle etc. thanks!

Scope of Practice for Podiatric Medicine in Pennsylvania include the diagnosis and treatment including mechanical and surgical treatment of ailments of the foot, and those anatomical structures of the leg governing the fuctions of the foot. Hence, Podiatric Surgeons can operate on the forefoot, rearfoot, and ankle. Podiatric Surgeons can perform surgery on soft tissues (tendons, etc..) in the leg, as long as the soft tissue affects the function of the foot. Podiatric Surgeons in PA are NOT permitted to perform leg and foot amputations. However, Podiatric Surgeons are allow to perform toe amptutations.

Hopefully, this answers your question. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask since I am currently practicing in Pennsylvania as a Podiatric Surgeon.

DPM...what school did you go to if you don't mind me asking. There is only one that specifies surg. Can you pref surg if grad from any of the pod schools? I am recently looking into this option. Very interested in surgery. From PA. Feel free to PM or email direct at [email protected]. Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
DPM...what school did you go to if you don't mind me asking. There is only one that specifies surg. Can you pref surg if grad from any of the pod schools? I am recently looking into this option. Very interested in surgery. From PA. Feel free to PM or email direct at [email protected]. Thank you for your time.

all podiatry schools grant you a DPM degree. With a DPM degree, you are qualified for a 2 or a 3 year podiatric surgical residency regardless of the podiatry school that you graduated from.

How are you liking it thus far? Set up the same as MD/DO in that 1st 2 years classwork last 2 clinical?

How are you liking it thus far? Set up the same as MD/DO in that 1st 2 years classwork last 2 clinical?

I love it - especially that I am a third year student now, so I get to see patients and learn from great physicians and podiatric physicians. The setup is very similar to to MD/DO schools. As a matter of fact there are two schools (Arizona and DMU) who are fully integrated with DO programs during the first 2 years of basic sciences. After our first 2 years, we sit for part I of our National Podiatric Medicine Board Exam. During the third year, we start some rotations with emphasis on lower extremity pathology and surgery. However, I'm not sure if this is the case at every school but at OCPM, we have a few classes to take, so our days are pretty exhausting.

Finally, during our 4th year, in addition to our rotations, we also participate in 5 to 6 one month externships, where we would visit different podiatric medicine and surgery programs and work with the attendings and residents there.

For more detailed information about the podiatric medical program, please refer to the sticky post in this forum, which is entitled "what is podiatric medicine?"

Best of luck in your endeavours :)

I went to Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine (TUSPM) in Philadelphia, PA. As Podman pointed out, you can get into a surgical residency after attending any of the 8 Podiatry schools. Where abouts are you in PA?