Penn State class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the most part, the our match list is a reflection of personal interests. I know several people with crazy step 1 scores, AOA and honors throughout who are doing FP, IM, Peds, etc...when they can easily be doing one of the competitive sub-specialties. PSU definitely pushes primary care, but those of us not interested in primary care have been able to match into other specialties, for the most part. That being said, if you are already sure that you want to go into one of these sub-specialties, then you might be better off at a Penn, Harvard, Hopkins etc, because the name of the school does play a factor when applying to competitive residencies.

Members don't see this ad.

Freakedout said:
on same token another thing I am discouraged by is the match list... what are your thoughts about that. As of right now I am not sure what I want to do, but it is aleast comforting to see a fair amount of people match into competitive fields, but psu's match list...is a dud

I am also not impressed with Penn State's match list. I want to go into surgery and the match list last year only had a couple of people get residencies in surgery. And not many students matched into California residencies :( What is up with this?

jzelones said:
I am also not impressed with Penn State's match list. I want to go into surgery and the match list last year only had a couple of people get residencies in surgery. And not many students matched into California residencies :( What is up with this?

like wtwei said, residency match lists reflect the interests of the people in the class. from what it sounds like, penn state is a family practice type of school. that doesn't mean you won't be able to match into surgery! remember, you can create opportunities for yourself no matter where you are!

as for matching in california, that's an entirely different story. everyone who goes to (medical) school in cali wants to stay for residency. everyone who left cali for school wants to come back, and everyone who has never lived in cali wants to go there (ok well maybe not everybody but lots of them). so competition is INTENSE (even more so than getting into med school in cali)! it's not so much a problem if you want to go into something related to primary care but it's by no means easy. i've come to terms with the probability of being away from cali for school and residency (unless a cali school lets me IN!)... :( anyway, sorry for the rant, good luck and never give up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Freakedout said:
I am non resident, I ll take you up wis... but you have to post a pic first. :smuggrin:

but my avantar is my pic.

:p

edit: avatar? i'm a tool. dang spell check.

I'll join this thread- I got my acceptance to Penn State last week!! I loved the school when I visited but not sure yet if I'll go...

My fiance and I are both applying to med schools this year and he just got a pre-interview "continue to review"... which is kind of weird since his stats are considerably better than mine. Has anyone heard if Penn State is one of those schools that puts "overqualified" applicants on hold? (He has a 38, 3.5 from Dartmouth, great LORs, ec's, etc and many interviews at other schools...)

Also, regarding in-state tuition- what if you buy property in PA? Will they then consider you a resident?

Thanks! Maybe I'll see some of you next year!

lyn2006 said:
I'll join this thread- I got my acceptance to Penn State last week!! I loved the school when I visited but not sure yet if I'll go...

My fiance and I are both applying to med schools this year and he just got a pre-interview "continue to review"... which is kind of weird since his stats are considerably better than mine. Has anyone heard if Penn State is one of those schools that puts "overqualified" applicants on hold? (He has a 38, 3.5 from Dartmouth, great LORs, ec's, etc and many interviews at other schools...)

Also, regarding in-state tuition- what if you buy property in PA? Will they then consider you a resident?

Hi everyone! I just received my acceptance today. I found this information on residency (re)classifications. It looks pretty useful...

http://www.psu.edu/bulletins/bluebook/intro/gi-051.htm

Also: http://www.bursar.psu.edu/formout.cfm

Hey gang, got my acceptance last week, and PSU is definately one of my top choices. Just curious if anyone knew for sure the grading system used, I can't remember from my interview day or find it online. Thanks!

JrsyGirl114 said:
Hey gang, got my acceptance last week, and PSU is definately one of my top choices. Just curious if anyone knew for sure the grading system used, I can't remember from my interview day or find it online. Thanks!

I believe it is honors/Pass/Fail. Something like that.

Freakedout said:
does psu have a 2nd look?

yes, there's a second look day sometime in the spring.

"sometime"?
Do they send invitations or do we have to inquire about it?

jzelones said:
I believe it is honors/Pass/Fail. Something like that.

Honors, high pass, pass, fail
There is a second look in the spring...date not set yet, you'll get a letter/email

wtwei02 said:
Honors, high pass, pass, fail
There is a second look in the spring...date not set yet, you'll get a letter/email

just curious did you match optho at psu ? if so congrats.

Members don't see this ad :)
lyn2006 said:

i'm pretty sure you cannot get instate tuition if you buy property because it would be for educational purposes. that's what i was told at least

i'd recommend looking at apartments/townhouses in the area, they are a lot nicer than the on campus dorms. a lot

hey how long was your guys's turnaround time post interview? i had mine yesterday and was really impressed with the school. it moved into my top 2 for sure. also does anyone know the interviewed/accepted/matriculated stats?
i'm pretty sure the interviews is 918 and matriculated is 135 but i dont know the accepted. thanks guys.
-dr. mota

Hey everyone! I was just accepted here about 1 week ago! I still don't know if it's my top choice, I'm deciding between 2 schools right now and it's not very fun. I just wanted to say hi though!

DaMota said:
hey how long was your guys's turnaround time post interview? i had mine yesterday and was really impressed with the school. it moved into my top 2 for sure. also does anyone know the interviewed/accepted/matriculated stats?
i'm pretty sure the interviews is 918 and matriculated is 135 but i dont know the accepted. thanks guys.
-dr. mota

Six weeks for me. Interview 12/7 and I got an acceptance letter in the mail on 1/17. Director of admissions told us it could take up to 8 weeks. I loved the school too.

What are fun things to do in Hershey. I didn't get a chance to go through the town or in Harrisburg. What do the med students there do for fun?

Freakedout said:
just curious did you match ophtho at psu ? if so congrats.

Yup, thanks. I'm very excited to be in hershey for 3 more years, and Ophtho is an amazing field. Harrisburg is a small city that's been growing in the past few years. Downtown Harrisburg around Second street is where the med students and residents hang out. There are 2 clubs, dragonfly and the coyote bar, a dozen or so bars, and a dozen or so restaurants that I know of or have been to. In the Hershey area, there are a couple of smoky "dive" bars, which get local cover bands. I make occassional trips to philly or baltimore, or nyc when I'm in the mood for something that Hershey doesn't offer. My major gripe is that I've yet to find a place for really good pizza or chinese take out. Good luck to you all.

wtwei02 said:
Yup, thanks. I'm very excited to be in hershey for 3 more years, and Ophtho is an amazing field. Harrisburg is a small city that's been growing in the past few years. Downtown Harrisburg around Second street is where the med students and residents hang out. There are 2 clubs, dragonfly and the coyote bar, a dozen or so bars, and a dozen or so restaurants that I know of or have been to. In the Hershey area, there are a couple of smoky "dive" bars, which get local cover bands. I make occassional trips to philly or baltimore, or nyc when I'm in the mood for something that Hershey doesn't offer. My major gripe is that I've yet to find a place for really good pizza or chinese take out. Good luck to you all.

Have you tried JoJo's in Hummelstown for Pizza? Dorothy's Chinese at Giant grocery has good but limited chinese, no delivery though. There are 1 or 2 chinese places near K-mart, and old china buffet across hersheypark drive from that is always a good bet.

BTW, I'm from the Hershey area and just got accepted!!! I also got accepted at Temple and am waiting to hear from GW though, so no promises that I'm a future classmate yet, but I'm leaning towards PSU.

PhillyEaglesFan, if you're from the area, what HS did you go to? I went to LD.

Hey Longbottom, congrats! I went to Harrisburg High. You went to Lower Dauphin? Small world!

Longbottom7 said:
Have you tried JoJo's in Hummelstown for Pizza? Dorothy's Chinese at Giant grocery has good but limited chinese, no delivery though. There are 1 or 2 chinese places near K-mart, and old china buffet across hersheypark drive from that is always a good bet.

Sorrento's on 422 has good pizza and i'm from NY lol. Chinese...I have yet to find anything that can be called good. gluck and let me know :)

bumping since everyone's been quiet lately!

is there any place to get good mexican food? i'm gonna be miserable without my carne asada burritos!!

jzelones, are you RFU-CMS for sure? if so good luck to you, my friend, we'll miss you...

what is everyone doing for housing? i've been looking online but haven't been able to find anything. anyone have ideas (other than student housing)?

Hi All! I got my acceptance a few weeks ago and have been playing the med school roller coaster for the past few weeks (months!)... thought I'd drop in and say Hi. I am definitely going to PSU. Can't wait!!

What's the final say about class/lab hours for year 1 and 2? Just curious since there seems to be such a range for each med school (Hopkins and VCU are pretty much over by 12 or 1PM, GWU goes allllllll day!).

Congrats to all who have gotten THE LETTER and best of luck <fingers crossed> for those who are still waiting.

FDoRoML said:
Hi All! I got my acceptance a few weeks ago and have been playing the med school roller coaster for the past few weeks (months!)... thought I'd drop in and say Hi. I am definitely going to PSU. Can't wait!!

What's the final say about class/lab hours for year 1 and 2? Just curious since there seems to be such a range for each med school (Hopkins and VCU are pretty much over by 12 or 1PM, GWU goes allllllll day!).

Congrats to all who have gotten THE LETTER and best of luck <fingers crossed> for those who are still waiting.

welcome! i think the class schedule varies depending on the class/year. i think first year classes run to different times on different days. i don't know that we've gotten a straight answer yet! in any case i'm sure we'll hear all about it sooner or later... congrats on your acceptance!

LT2, the ONLY thing remotely close to mexican food in the Hershey area that I can think of is a 30 minute drive to El Rodeo, if yuo call that mexican food. Otherwise, you have to get in close with the kitchen staff at local restaurants and eat lunch in their homes,... There may be a place in Harrisburg somewhere but none I can think of.

Does anyone know which school is better between Temple and Penn State, or reasons why I should choose one over the other?

Longbottom7 said:
LT2, the ONLY thing remotely close to mexican food in the Hershey area that I can think of is a 30 minute drive to El Rodeo, if yuo call that mexican food. Otherwise, you have to get in close with the kitchen staff at local restaurants and eat lunch in their homes,... There may be a place in Harrisburg somewhere but none I can think of.

Does anyone know which school is better between Temple and Penn State, or reasons why I should choose one over the other?

Thanks for the heads up on mexican food, longbottom. el rodeo sounds kinda scary.

i'm also wondering about the pros and cons of Temple vs. penn state. my dad graduated from temple med which holds a small significance for me but other than that... at temple all i heard about was how fantastic their clinical curriculum is and the number of opportunities there were for any specialty (something important to me). i also like (ok LOVE) their curriculum and how students only have class from 8-12 everyday. i don't know about board prep or faculty advising for residency matching. the students all seemed pretty happy as well. the cons, well, as you said elsewhere, the facilities are pretty crappy (i think my dad took classes in the same building!) and the area is not exactly what I would call "safe". i also don't know how big city life would work for me. san diego is a big city but it's not the same...

as for penn state, i was suuuuper impressed with the facilities and the people. the class schedule is still a bit questionable for me because we're all still wondering how the classes are broken down (ie. how many hours are spent in class per day). i don't know about board prep or residency mentoring either. i know the clinical opportunities aren't as great as temple but i hear the staff are pretty amazing. i also think i might feel better (read: safer and quieter) living in hershey for school. (i say this now but i might go crazy if hershey is toooooo small). i also have friends at the school right now who love it.

anyway if you find out any useful info on the whole issue, please fill me in and good luck with everything!

LT2 said:
Thanks for the heads up on mexican food, longbottom. el rodeo sounds kinda scary.

i'm also wondering about the pros and cons of Temple vs. penn state. my dad graduated from temple med which holds a small significance for me but other than that... at temple all i heard about was how fantastic their clinical curriculum is and the number of opportunities there were for any specialty (something important to me). i also like (ok LOVE) their curriculum and how students only have class from 8-12 everyday. i don't know about board prep or faculty advising for residency matching. the students all seemed pretty happy as well. the cons, well, as you said elsewhere, the facilities are pretty crappy (i think my dad took classes in the same building!) and the area is not exactly what I would call "safe". i also don't know how big city life would work for me. san diego is a big city but it's not the same...

as for penn state, i was suuuuper impressed with the facilities and the people. the class schedule is still a bit questionable for me because we're all still wondering how the classes are broken down (ie. how many hours are spent in class per day). i don't know about board prep or residency mentoring either. i know the clinical opportunities aren't as great as temple but i hear the staff are pretty amazing. i also think i might feel better (read: safer and quieter) living in hershey for school. (i say this now but i might go crazy if hershey is toooooo small). i also have friends at the school right now who love it.

anyway if you find out any useful info on the whole issue, please fill me in and good luck with everything!

Philly life isn't that bad. I come from small town Hershey and I adjusted and love the life here. You wouldn't live in the rough neighborhood the school is located in--very unwise and no students live there. I got most of the things I said from a survey given to AMSA members at the time of their med school graduation. According to them the class time is less at PSU. On interview day I asked a guy I ate lunch with what he didnt like at school and he said the long class days. It's often an 8-2 or 8-4 day with lunch thrown in. Penn state seems similar but at least one day a week they have a free afternoon, sometimes 2 during first year. I think there is stuff in the interview packet about the hours. Temple also supposedly has lecture material online. Penn state doesnt but after anatomy you have packets of notes and dont realkly need to take your own notes.

Hershey is small, but if you know people there and they seek out some nightlife in harrisburg, you could be happy there. Seems like you might have a tough time deciding too!

Best of luck, keep me posted if you hear anything or make your final decision!

Longbottom7 said:
Philly life isn't that bad. I come from small town Hershey and I adjusted and love the life here. You wouldn't live in the rough neighborhood the school is located in--very unwise and no students live there. I got most of the things I said from a survey given to AMSA members at the time of their med school graduation. According to them the class time is less at PSU. On interview day I asked a guy I ate lunch with what he didnt like at school and he said the long class days. It's often an 8-2 or 8-4 day with lunch thrown in. Penn state seems similar but at least one day a week they have a free afternoon, sometimes 2 during first year. I think there is stuff in the interview packet about the hours. Temple also supposedly has lecture material online. Penn state doesnt but after anatomy you have packets of notes and dont realkly need to take your own notes.

Hershey is small, but if you know people there and they seek out some nightlife in harrisburg, you could be happy there. Seems like you might have a tough time deciding too!

Best of luck, keep me posted if you hear anything or make your final decision!

hey again-

i don't know if you were talking about temple students being in class from 8-2 or 8-4, that was for their old curriculum. they started a new curriculum this year where students are only in class 8-12 M-F. They will continue on this schedule throughout their first two years. i think this is fabulous and the first years i spoke to really seemed to enjoy their free time to study, relax or shadow... anyway, thought i'd let you know... i'm planning on attending both second looks if i can, i wish they'd start sending info about all of it!! anyway, keep me posted and i'll see you around!

to the others: sorry for hijacking the PENN STATE thread!! :oops:

LT2 said:
hey again-

i don't know if you were talking about temple students being in class from 8-2 or 8-4, that was for their old curriculum. they started a new curriculum this year where students are only in class 8-12 M-F. They will continue on this schedule throughout their first two years. i think this is fabulous and the first years i spoke to really seemed to enjoy their free time to study, relax or shadow... anyway, thought i'd let you know... i'm planning on attending both second looks if i can, i wish they'd start sending info about all of it!! anyway, keep me posted and i'll see you around!

to the others: sorry for hijacking the PENN STATE thread!! :oops:

That's AWESOME! Thanks for the info! Hope to see you at the second looks.

I also apologize for Templifying the PSU thread! Carry on

that's funny, I had the same dilemma twice...for med school and then for residency. Rest assured, both are good but different programs, and you can't go wrong with either. Please don't stress over this too much, as you'll come out well trained either way, and try to have fun and enjoy your time before med school starts.

thanks for the advice, as always, wtwei!

so i'm no financial aid/budget expert, but i was looking at the posted student budget (i'm OOS), particularly the rent/utilities section and they alot $4100 or somewhere therabouts. for the entire year???? they also blatantly state that this is for on campus housing. do they alot more money into the budget for those living off campus? i don't know how anyone could live of $4100 for an entire year to pay rent + utilities?!?!? :scared: all of the apartments i was looking at online were at least $500/mo... any ideas?

Hey! I just got my acceptance (off the waitlist) today. I'm not sure whether I'm considering the school, because it hadn't really been on my radar! Anyway, I'll keep up with the thread to see what people have to say :)

tigress said:
Hey! I just got my acceptance (off the waitlist) today. I'm not sure whether I'm considering the school, because it hadn't really been on my radar! Anyway, I'll keep up with the thread to see what people have to say :)

Congrats Tigress

LT2 said:
thanks for the advice, as always, wtwei!

so i'm no financial aid/budget expert, but i was looking at the posted student budget (i'm OOS), particularly the rent/utilities section and they alot $4100 or somewhere therabouts. for the entire year???? they also blatantly state that this is for on campus housing. do they alot more money into the budget for those living off campus? i don't know how anyone could live of $4100 for an entire year to pay rent + utilities?!?!? :scared: all of the apartments i was looking at online were at least $500/mo... any ideas?

you are able to increase and decrease your loan disbursement amount online. the disbursements come TWO TIMES a year...August and January. yes you still get money if you live off campus. again, it's up to you to borrow as much or as little as you want. but it's two times a year not once

LT2 said:
bumping since everyone's been quiet lately!

is there any place to get good mexican food? i'm gonna be miserable without my carne asada burritos!!

jzelones, are you RFU-CMS for sure? if so good luck to you, my friend, we'll miss you...

what is everyone doing for housing? i've been looking online but haven't been able to find anything. anyone have ideas (other than student housing)?

LT2, I am not sure if I want to go to Penn State or RFU. I am leaning towards Penn State though. Its just so hard to make a decision because I will have to be in this place for 4 years or more. Which school do you think it would be easier to get a CA residency afterwards? Input is appreciated!

4424 said:
you are able to increase and decrease your loan disbursement amount online. the disbursements come TWO TIMES a year...August and January. yes you still get money if you live off campus. again, it's up to you to borrow as much or as little as you want. but it's two times a year not once

4424 thanks for the info, i'm lost when it comes to finances like this.

jzelones, i don't know anything about RFU, i haven't heard anything from them post-secondary so i haven't really researched them. as for going back to cali, it's going to be difficult, no matter what. i think some things to think about (other than what you want to do, surgery, right?) are the opportunities available to you at the school. what things could you do over 4 years at each school to help you stand out. do the schools have strong programs in the fields you're interested in? do the schools offer away rotations prior to residency matching? maybe while you're still in cali, you can do some research/get to know some people at UCSD that might help you later... these are just some of the things i've thought about in deciding. i'm sure there's tons more to consider but these are the things that come to mind... good luck and keep me posted, i'd love to know someone from SD in class next year!

Second look day is tenatively scheduled for 4/1/06...in case you guys are wondering

hey sorry to barge in. i've only interviewed but was wondering if decisions come to your preferred or permanent address. thanks for your time
-mota

wtwei02 said:
Second look day is tenatively scheduled for 4/1/06...in case you guys are wondering

so weird that we posted at the exact same time after 5 days of no activity on this thread.
-mota

DaMota said:
so weird that we posted at the exact same time after 5 days of no activity on this thread.
-mota

hey dr.mota-

i don't know if i can be of any help to you as both of my addresses were the same...

wtwei, 4/1 is only tenative? when i called yesterday the man i spoke to told me it had been recently decided that it would be 4/1. i was going to schedule plane flights, should i wait?!

Big Pack to your preferred address!!!

Just letting you guys know that I changed my username. I don't want to have part of my "name" in my username. I am keeping my avater the same so it should help.

How does one schedule this so called second visit weekend... I want to go...

Highclimber said:
How does one schedule this so called second visit weekend... I want to go...

second look is a set weekend where all accepted applicants are invited back to take a look at the school again.

i called to see when it was going to be. they should be sending out info to everyone soon (or so i was told).

Scalpellum said:
Just letting you guys know that I changed my username. I don't want to have part of my "name" in my username. I am keeping my avater the same so it should help.

Too late! I know exactly who you are and where you live! :laugh:

anyone else excited about second look? i've been busy getting all of my shots and boosters lately for the student health requirements. ugh.

LT2 said:
anyone else excited about second look? i've been busy getting all of my shots and boosters lately for the student health requirements. ugh.

Does Penn State pay for the students to come to the second look day?