Penn State, Albany, VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docsleeper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Coming down to the wire..I need some opinions concerning quality of these programs from peoples experiences or what they have heard. If you could give advice concerning quality versus location..Appreciate all the help...Albany is close but i feel as though Penn state has a much stronger program..And VCU not really too sure about reputation but liked the hours..Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Go with your gut and where you'd like to spend the next few years. VCU's residents seemed insanely happy on the interview trail...all smiles.

you'll probably work harder at Penn State, but I think it is the strongest all around program of the three

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't comment on VCU or Albany since I only interviewed at them. But, since I'm a resident at Penn State I can give you an idea of how it runs there.

Four year program rocks. You get lots and lots of anesthesia training in your first year which really is a huge advantage. I'm a current CA-1 and by the end of last year I was doing major traumas, some peds and lots of complex cases. They restructured the schedule and now you start your specialty rotations in the CA-1 year. This means that you get CT, peds, and neuro in the first year. I don't know of any other programs where you are doing bypass cases in the CA-1 year (but, then again I only know residents at some programs).

The moral is good. We have a new PD, who was our old vice-PD. She is amazing. She is very pro-resident and really cares about us.

We rotate off service during the first two years (to fullfill the intern requirement). Generally, when you are on those services you will be treated with a great deal of respect.

The surgical-anesthesia relationship is also very good. Of course there are certain surgeons who are jerks but, for the most part our department is respected.

Most days you will work 11-12 hours. Call is generally once a week and 1-2 weekends a month. It's very much hit or miss. Sometimes you get sleep, sometimes you don't. It all depends on what rolls through the door.

We are a level one trauma center. Mostly blunt injuries, not much penetrating. You will get enough trauma experience.

So, thats our program in a nutshell.

I can't comment on VCU or Albany since I only interviewed at them. But, since I'm a resident at Penn State I can give you an idea of how it runs there.

Four year program rocks. You get lots and lots of anesthesia training in your first year which really is a huge advantage. I'm a current CA-1 and by the end of last year I was doing major traumas, some peds and lots of complex cases. They restructured the schedule and now you start your specialty rotations in the CA-1 year. This means that you get CT, peds, and neuro in the first year. I don't know of any other programs where you are doing bypass cases in the CA-1 year (but, then again I only know residents at some programs).

The moral is good. We have a new PD, who was our old vice-PD. She is amazing. She is very pro-resident and really cares about us.

We rotate off service during the first two years (to fullfill the intern requirement). Generally, when you are on those services you will be treated with a great deal of respect.

The surgical-anesthesia relationship is also very good. Of course there are certain surgeons who are jerks but, for the most part our department is respected.

Most days you will work 11-12 hours. Call is generally once a week and 1-2 weekends a month. It's very much hit or miss. Sometimes you get sleep, sometimes you don't. It all depends on what rolls through the door.

We are a level one trauma center. Mostly blunt injuries, not much penetrating. You will get enough trauma experience.

So, thats our program in a nutshell.
Hey i appreciate the comments..
Do u feel as though Penn state is a bigger name and more nationally reconigzed then albany. ANd do u think the amount of training is equal from your interview experience at albany and what you were told.. My biggest concern is location.. Is there anything to do in hershey or HArrisburg.. ANd I felt all the residents were marreid when i interviewed there..Any last thoughts before i submit my list.. Thanks so much

agree with you that vcu is not a name but i liked richmond (call me crazy) and seemed like a good program.... PD and staff i met were impressive. trauma but not too much, etc. regional and pain seemed like weaknesses, as pain is run by pmr if i remember properly. i think the intern year was pretty malignant and irrelevant as it was heavily medicine call and medicine based in general. cannot compare others as i didn't interview there....

Correction for VCU
intern year is something like this- gen surg, CT surg, burn surg, ENT surg, MRICU, IM, EM, OB, Anest x 2, NSICU, NICU

Regional is very strong, chronic pain is average.
Cardiac is sweet.

Moonlighting is great.

agree with you that vcu is not a name but i liked richmond (call me crazy) and seemed like a good program.... PD and staff i met were impressive. trauma but not too much, etc. regional and pain seemed like weaknesses, as pain is run by pmr if i remember properly. i think the intern year was pretty malignant and irrelevant as it was heavily medicine call and medicine based in general. cannot compare others as i didn't interview there....

What you said about VCU is all wrong.

Cambie

VCU has a great regional program. The pain service is run by an anesthesiologist. We have plenty of trauma. The chronic pain experience is gained from the VA. The service is run by an anesthesiologist. The pgy-1 year is difficult but a couple of anesthesia months are thrown in. The interns work on services that they will work with as anesthesia resisdents.

Do not rank VCU because you like the hours.Rank the program because the training is solid.

I am not trying to sell the program. I just want the info out there to be accurate.

Cambie

Last edited: