Penn State (20k/yr scholarship) vs. VCU (35k/yr scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purpledoct

Reaction score
Help me decide!
For some context, I will be moving from the mountain west so both areas are significantly far from family. I grew up in a very rural town (~2,000 people) so small town doesn't scare me and I live in a city now (~200,000 people). I like research. I am interested in OB/GYN. Overall torn and would appreciate anyone's insight!

Penn State
Pros:
  • I really liked the people, students and staff seem really cool and nice
  • Great match rate
  • I like their curriculum - the humanities aspect is really neat (and I can see myself getting involved with some of the projects)
  • true P/F pre-clinicals with no internal rankings
  • with scholarship, tuition will be ~32k a year, with a low COL
  • Already have a place in student housing if I decide to attend
  • Seems like a very collaborative environment
  • mandatory research project guarantees involvement in some kind of research
  • students constantly mentioned and gave examples about how the faculty care and are open to feedback. I have been really impressed with their communication so far
  • really good global health program where most students get their trip 100% funded by scholarships
  • Close to a lot of places for weekend trips (NYC, DC, Philly, Baltimore)
  • Have already had a lot of contact with current students
Cons:
  • Although it is a trauma 1 hospital, I wonder about the exposure available because it seems like it is in the middle of nowhere
  • P/F clinicals? (I am not sure if this is a true con, but saw that someone said it could be since it makes it harder to stand out from peers. not sure how true this is)
  • Essay exams (also not sure if this is a con. seems like a lot of people complain about it. Personally, I think having to explain things would really help my learning. Current students reassured that they were more like short-answer, 2-3 sentence, questions. They also said the exams were really helpful with clinical rotations, but not for Step since they are formatted like Step exams)

VCU
Pros:
  • Also got really good vibes here on interview day
  • They give a lot of support for step exams (everyone has their own advisor, they help make a study plan, etc.)
  • Scholarship makes them the cheapest option (~26k a year tuition)
  • I like the longitudinal courses they integrate in the curriculum
  • In a larger city means being around more diversity
  • students seem to love it here
  • having a larger airport in the city would make traveling home easier
  • match a lot of students into OB/GYN (seems like its's one of their most popular specialties)
  • P/F pre-clinical (not sure if they rank?)
  • Seems like there is a lot to do in the city
  • always quick responses from admin
Cons:
  • I visited the city earlier in the year very briefly. I did not get to see a whole lot, but it seems kind of overwhelming. I am nervous about how I would adjust
  • Higher COL, also do not have housing lined up yet
  • Have not had as much contact with current students (but this probably changes)

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, Penn State will be cheaper after rent and general COL. Richmond is a fairly expensive city, especially when comparing it to a college town!