Peds to IM transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stone Cold

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an IMG, currently a PGY-1 in pediatrics residency in NY. Throughout my rotations, I figured out cardiology is what really interested me but I eventually wanted to move back to my home country where peds cards opportunities are almost non-existent. Due to the Covid-19 saga, I've been posted on the adult side over the past several weeks and I really started liking it. Is it possible for me to get a PGY-2 spot in IM for next year (2021) so that I can eventually get into adult cards?

Also, how competent is it for someone with an IMG background to get into a decent interventional cards fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to start as a PGY-1. You would only get credit for any rotations that were identical to what an IM resident would do, and credit is at the discretion of the PD. Realistically, you're unlikely to get enough credit to skip much of PGY-1. The simplest solution is to talk to your local IM program and see if there is any room there.

Getting into a cards fellowship as an IMG is possible but not easy. The best metric is the IM program you would be joining -- how successful their IMG grads have been getting Cards.

Reactions: 1 user
You will need to start as a PGY-1. You would only get credit for any rotations that were identical to what an IM resident would do, and credit is at the discretion of the PD. Realistically, you're unlikely to get enough credit to skip much of PGY-1. The simplest solution is to talk to your local IM program and see if there is any room there.

Getting into a cards fellowship as an IMG is possible but not easy. The best metric is the IM program you would be joining -- how successful their IMG grads have been getting Cards.
Thanks for that information. I intend to apply for IM residency next year (2021) by which I'd be done with 2 years in Peds which I believe should give me some credit, maybe like 6 months at least

and yeah, getting into cards being an IMG is tough but I've read in some of the cards threads here that Cardiology is going to be approx 500 graduates short per year to meat demand with short term demand being -7000 cardiologists per government estimates based on a large cohort of cardiologists ready to retire and baby boomers needing services (approx 1/3 of cardiologist are now 60+). I might definitely not get into some of the best programs out there but should be able to squeeze into a mediocre fellowship hopefully

I will start with speaking to my IM dept

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for that information. I intend to apply for IM residency next year (2021) by which I'd be done with 2 years in Peds which I believe should give me some credit, maybe like 6 months at least

and yeah, getting into cards being an IMG is tough but I've read in some of the cards threads here that Cardiology is going to be approx 500 graduates short per year to meat demand with short term demand being -7000 cardiologists per government estimates based on a large cohort of cardiologists ready to retire and baby boomers needing services (approx 1/3 of cardiologist are now 60+). I might definitely not get into some of the best programs out there but should be able to squeeze into a mediocre fellowship hopefully

I will start with speaking to my IM dept
Dude....

First, please don't cross-post.

Second, although it may seem like it at times, residency is not prison. You don't get "time off for good behavior". So 2 years of doing a specialty without any relevance to IM will not give you any more "credit" than 1 year will.

1*0 and 2*0 both = 0. You will not get any credit.

Dude....

First, please don't cross-post.

Second, although it may seem like it at times, residency is not prison. You don't get "time off for good behavior". So 2 years of doing a specialty without any relevance to IM will not give you any more "credit" than 1 year will.

1*0 and 2*0 both = 0. You will not get any credit.
My bad, I thought the first thread didn't go through and thanks for that info. Also, is there any possibility to get considered for some of the good (not top-notch) IM programs which IMG's are usually not accepted, given my peds experience working in a US hospital system or would I be considered just as any new incoming IMG?

Third, maybe don't go posting in the peds forum asking for help deciding between NICU and PICU (with most of the focus comparing salaries) at the same time you're telling the IM folk you want to switch into medicine to do interventional cards ...

Third, maybe don't go posting in the peds forum asking for help deciding between NICU and PICU (with most of the focus comparing salaries) at the same time you're telling the IM folk you want to switch into medicine to do interventional cards ...

I'm still on the peds side and will pursue NICU or PICU if I intend to stay in peds. But as I've mentioned, cards is what I'm interested in and only looking at what options I've got and if anyone has gone through a similar path. I don't think there's anything wrong in asking out opinions and seeking advice

You're going to most likely get no credit for your peds time.

You will also have a funding problem -- your second residency won't be fully funded.

You won't get into a more competitive residency because of your peds training, unless you consider your current institution in that group. You'll be a known quantity there, and would have a better chance.

One options could be a Meds-Peds combined program, I know my residency had one.

This allows you to specialize in either specialty later on (adult or peds).

Your current training will likely count towards it

Good luck.