Peds shelf score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cardsfan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone was ever asked how they did on the peds shelf exam while applying/interviewing for peds residencies. . . mostly wondering out of curiosity

Members don't see this ad.

Cardsfan said:
Just curious if anyone was ever asked how they did on the peds shelf exam while applying/interviewing for peds residencies. . . mostly wondering out of curiosity

Nope - no mention of it. Actually, our pediatric exam was an in-house exam so I never took the peds shelf exam. ;)

Cameron said:
Nope - no mention of it. Actually, our pediatric exam was an in-house exam so I never took the peds shelf exam. ;)

No one will look at the score itself, but competitive programs definately look at the grade you make in Peds clerkship, which the shelf factors into, so indirectly it will be reflected.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at many of the top programs and was never asked about my shelf score. I honestly have no idea what it was (I took it in early '99 and just interviewed last winter - I'm MD/PhD). HOWEVER, I *think* that it may have been listed in my Dean's letter. I know my surgery shelf was.

GeneGoddess said:
I interviewed at many of the top programs and was never asked about my shelf score. I honestly have no idea what it was (I took it in early '99 and just interviewed last winter - I'm MD/PhD). HOWEVER, I *think* that it may have been listed in my Dean's letter. I know my surgery shelf was.

I am really curious as to the importance of the shelf score. My predicament is that my peds shelf was my lowest shelf of the year by 10 percentile points. It was still a good score and enough to earn honors in the rotation, but I would like to think that I am most competant in the field in which I plan to practice. I am curious if programs will see the shelf score in peds being my lowest and raise some concerns when they rank me.

scholes said:
I am really curious as to the importance of the shelf score. My predicament is that my peds shelf was my lowest shelf of the year by 10 percentile points. It was still a good score and enough to earn honors in the rotation, but I would like to think that I am most competant in the field in which I plan to practice. I am curious if programs will see the shelf score in peds being my lowest and raise some concerns when they rank me.

I seriously doubt it will even be noticed. You did well enough to earn honors - I don't think they'll go digging for your scores and then compare them to your other shelf scores. Some specialties might fuss a lot about numbers, but my experience throughout the interview process was that pediatrics is not one of them.

10 interviews at top programs and the shelf wasn't mentioned once (I think I would have thought less of a place if they had asked me.) I don't think it shows up on your transcript (just the final grade, I believe), and unless it's in your dean's letter, they don't know. I would hope your shelf score would be very low on their list of priorities.

how many of y'all out there had to take the shelf? Was it a big part of your grade? Just wantin to see whats goin on at other med schools. I think ours counted for 35-40% of our final grade.