Peds Salaries and Job Offers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adiddy25

medical student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think we often do a disservice to ourselves by not talking about salary info in pediatrics. And oftentimes info on websites like "salary.com" are misleading or vague. I was hoping that current residents and recent grads would post info about job offers they have received. Please include location, gen peds vs. specialty, salary, benefits, call schedule, etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I agree 100%. This would be INCREDIBLY helpful for those of applying to and entering Peds residency. I know I think about future salary and call schedule all the time, especially given me not-insignificant student loan levels.

One thing I would also like to know about is offers of loan repayment. Anybody getting those?

So I am a recent grad of peds residency. Most of my classmates were offered in the 130's to begin in the southeast. Many came with other perks like 401 or moving expense. I recently saw an add for a job close by that was 175 starting with loans paid off- I think that was an exception rather than rule. Academics in Southeast start in 90's with lots of perks.

I work in ER and my income fluctuates a bit more month to month, but I make significantly more than my classmates that went into private practice. Subspecialties vary a ton. that's my 2 cents. Oh and I don't take call- 15 shifts per month

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to know more about how to find a job after residency. I've never seen pediatrician job listings on hospital websites or employment websites. Is it mostly through word of mouth and by who you know? If that is the case, should we be choosing a residency based on where we want to work after we're done?

Is it mostly through word of mouth and by who you know? If that is the case, should we be choosing a residency based on where we want to work after we're done?

So far this has been my experience.

During residency there were many job and fellowship offers that were posted in our lounge or passed along to us by the chief residents, attendings, clinic preceptors, program director, or the chair. Thus, the best ones were often snatched up by those who were in the right place at the right time.

I'm from the South and I had no intention of staying in the area. Consequently, the job search was a lot harder for me because I had no network of physicians to go to for help. I was and still am very envious of my colleagues who finished residencies in cities where they planned to live + practice as they all sort of "fell into" their current positions.

I did my residency at CHOP, so I was very surprised that their network did not extend as far south as I would have liked it to. Granted, it did not take too long to find a job once I relocated, but I probably would have had one well before residency ended like most of my classmates.

With that being said, If I had to do it all over again, residency location based on where I ultimately want to live, practice, raise a family, etc. would be a serious factior in my rank order list but not THE deciding factor.

Hope this helps...

There are also head hunters out there to find you jobs. I will be going back to fellowship in 1 1/2 years once my wife finishes her residency. We mentioned to a headhunter a few of the places we were looking and I swear she gets a letter about a job 3-4 times per week in one of those cities.

I currently live in a city saturated with general peds and they are still hiring. I believe most places it is pretty easy to find a job, just have to ask. Ask attendings who know people in an area and then just call them. If they have a job opening then they want to hear from you.

bks524,
thank you for your posts! did you start your ER job straight out of residency without a fellowship, how much demand is there for your type of shift work in the ED for pediatric only trained physicians?

bks524,
thank you for your posts! did you start your ER job straight out of residency without a fellowship, how much demand is there for your type of shift work in the ED for pediatric only trained physicians?

Yes, i did start out of residency. It was a great opportunity and I knew the guy who ran it for several years. However, there are a lot of medium size cities out there (>150,000) that probably would like to or do have a peds ED. There are just not enough peds ED trianed people. there is also acute care pediatrics out there also. All kinds of options with varying levels or hours.

Several recent peds graduates in houston had job offers around the 110's for office based practices

Several recent peds graduates in houston had job offers around the 110's for office based practices

Are you kidding me? I hope they don't have loans to pay back.

I know nurse practitioners in my town who make $15K more than that working in an rheumatology office injecting knees all day (w/no call and 9-4 hours).

There is no way I could even consider that salary with the amount of loans I carry and a family to support. From the informal discussions I've had with private practice pedi's in my hometown (which is admittedly rural and in the middle of nowhere), it seems the salary rises quite a bit once you leave the big cities.

I know nurse practitioners in my town who make $15K more than that working in an rheumatology office injecting knees all day (w/no call and 9-4 hours).

Please give us the name of this group so I can call up the MDs and chew them out for selling out their field to the nurses and screwing us all in the process.

Greedy ****ing bastards.

Are you kidding me? I hope they don't have loans to pay back.

There is no way I could even consider that salary with the amount of loans I carry and a family to support. From the informal discussions I've had with private practice pedi's in my hometown (which is admittedly rural and in the middle of nowhere), it seems the salary rises quite a bit once you leave the big cities.

Starting jobs range from 110s to 170s depending on where you go. However, the difference between your NNP and a pediatrician is once you are off salary, the sky is the limit (so to speak). I know private pediatricians around me that are rumored to make around 350 a year- they see 60-70 patients a day, do rounds in the hospital and nursery everyday and own their own lab (i mean real lab, not a hemocue and dip machine). So if you are willing to work hard (and practice "dubious" medicine) then you too can make a boat load of money

Hope your worried about more than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting jobs range from 110s to 170s depending on where you go. However, the difference between your NNP and a pediatrician is once you are off salary, the sky is the limit (so to speak). I know private pediatricians around me that are rumored to make around 350 a year- they see 60-70 patients a day, do rounds in the hospital and nursery everyday and own their own lab (i mean real lab, not a hemocue and dip machine). So if you are willing to work hard (and practice "dubious" medicine) then you too can make a boat load of money

Thank you for your input, and especially for taking the time to post. Your perspective as an attending is very helpful.

Hope your worried about more than that.

Why shouldn't I be worried about this? Every single non-Peds Doc rubs it in my face as soon as I tell them I'm doing Peds.

I (like all my other classmates) have >$250K in student loans facing me. I think I am entirely within my rights to 'worry' about the salary I can expect once I enter practice. No other graduating med school class in history has faced a level of loan debt like we do. Does it somehow make me less altruistic to want financial security during my career?

I think it goes without saying that nobody enters Peds looking to get rich or because it's a lucrative field.

Don't misunderstand. I believe the tuition at most institutions is ridiculous. And I have no control over that which is why I think you should be fairly compensated for what you do.

However, if you have already made the decision to do a certain specialty then it doesn't matter how much you make-right. Are you going to change your mind? Now if you are planning your financial future then so-be-it. But to be intimidated or talked down to by others who choose fields that are more lucrative is shallow.

sorry, I get tired of hearing all of this talk about money. This is of course coming from someone who earns in the top 10% of the world- Yes, I am a hypocrite.

I walked by the Peds department at my school today, and they had a bunch of job offers on a board, a lot of them were sent to the school through email. I saw several ads for starting salary that were pretty good (for peds). One just outside of Dallas for 180 to start, in general peds.

I'd just like to throw out there that although talk of salary tends to start some heated debates, I still think it is worthwhile and would like to be able to continue the discussions.

While some folks may appear to be overly focused on making as much money as possible and complaining about a relative abundance, many of us are trying to get a grip on what our future financial situations look like. Regardless of the amount of debt we individually acquire, we've all got to make plans for the how and when of paying back those debts. Also, how is one supposed to know what a good job offer is if there's nothing to compare it to?

For example, seeing second-hand starting salary offers in TX ranging from 110's-180 for general peds makes me wonder what all the unknown factors are that I will need to consider when it comes time. What is the $70,000 difference? Benefits? Malpractice paid vs paying for it yourself?

We can only make good decisions with adequate information and that starts with asking basic, perhaps ignorant, questions.

I think these are valid questions. But things will change in the next 3 years before you start looking for a job. The best advice will come from your attendings and other private peds people that you meet as a resident. I can also state that many places offer loan repayment as part of their compensation package. There is also variable amounts of CME (1000-5000/yr) and also bonuses if you see more patients. Again this will all vary.

Usually the higher end salaries seem to be in underserved populations where you can bill at a higher rate. Medicaid allows that in certain areas. But where you get paid more, I can also bet you will work more

Hi guys

I'm a postbac student, getting ready for medical school, so I've got plenty of time to worry about this, but I thought I'd post here since I coincidentally got some info on this when I saw a family friend at Christmas. He's the director of the Family Medicine and Pediatrics residencies at a large suburban Philadelphia medical center and he mentioned that this year's "graduating" residencies in FM and Peds were looking at an average salary of 115k. This includes malpractice insurance, staff and other associated costs, so 115k is what you'll be taking home, minus taxes (and obviously loan payments, for most of you). Good luck in the match!

While we're on the $$$ topic... for those of you who are practicing, how well do you handle paying back your school loans considering you are at the bottom of the physician pay scale (without a loan payback offer from your hospital)?

I would honestly love to do peds and most likely a subspecialty, but I will have 300k in loans when I graduate and a minimum of 5 years of training ahead of me. I don't have nor do I plan to have an expensive lifestyle but I can't live out of my car forever and need to retire someday, am I just kidding myself?

300K is a ton. I can say that you shouldn't feel discouraged! It is manageable. Though I don't have the school debt that you do, my wife and I have roughly have 140,000 in school debt and in the last 6 months (since I started working) we have paid off around 25,000 of debt. It is doable, but not quickly. If you expect to make 150-200, which is not unreasonable after a year or two out on your own, then you can definately pay down your loans. Just make a plan and stick to it. Also, there are several opportunities for loan repayment through your future job.

Do what you enjoy and then make a plan and you can definately do it.

While we're on the $$$ topic... for those of you who are practicing, how well do you handle paying back your school loans considering you are at the bottom of the physician pay scale (without a loan payback offer from your hospital)?

I would honestly love to do peds and most likely a subspecialty, but I will have 300k in loans when I graduate and a minimum of 5 years of training ahead of me. I don't have nor do I plan to have an expensive lifestyle but I can't live out of my car forever and need to retire someday, am I just kidding myself?

It's comforting to see someone else with the same level of debt that I have!! I totally feel your pain. :( Between my debt and my husband's law school debt, we're over half a mil in the hole....fun times!!

300K is a ton. I can say that you shouldn't feel discouraged! It is manageable. Though I don't have the school debt that you do, my wife and I have roughly have 140,000 in school debt and in the last 6 months (since I started working) we have paid off around 25,000 of debt. It is doable, but not quickly. If you expect to make 150-200, which is not unreasonable after a year or two out on your own, then you can definately pay down your loans. Just make a plan and stick to it. Also, there are several opportunities for loan repayment through your future job.

Do what you enjoy and then make a plan and you can definately do it.

Wow, $25k in 6 months? Congrats, that is discipline! I'm glad to see someone in a similar situation that is making it work. May I ask, is your wife a physician also? I take it you are working on your own now? One other possibility I am considering is the pediatric research loan payback program through the NIH. From what I understand it is a pretty good deal for 2 years of committed research. Oh the joys of being a grown up!!! :p

Yes, debt repayment does take discipline and it is often a difficult task to write that check out every month. My wife is currently a resident. We own a home and own our cars so we are not destitute :laugh:.

I have heard great things about the NIH research grant. I think it would be a great way to get ahead in the academic world and get your foot in the door at NIH. I hear that they are competitive though. You can do it, we all can

My partner works for a physicians group (non-medical field) but is very close with the medical director. I am very close to the medical director as well, as he recruits me to put together powerpoints and presentations on a regular basis for him.

But anyway... this guy is LOADED. He is fairly young also... 38 or 39.. maybe 40. He owns a massive 3-level yacht, a million dollar home, him & his wife drive mercedes, and he regularly takes his entire staff out to dinner at local expensive restaurants and covers the usual $5,000+ bill.

He has chosen to practice medicine very part-time and make is money elsewhere. He owns a very busy medical transciption and medical billing company, practices part-time in his medical practice, just opened a very large and busy urgent-care center, and owns a small software company that specializes in PDA software for residents and physicians. He is also talking with investors about starting a pharmaceutical company that produces generic medications.

He said he was actually able to do this fairly easy because of his ability to network with other physicians who were also interested in making money. He told me that it is fairly easy for most physicians to make money if they start networking.

I met another physician through this medical director who is a surgeon in a hair-transplant practice, but makes the bulk of his cash through investing in a vodka business -- their latest creation, "Vegas Vodka".

Great follow-up for this thread: A friend of mine was just offered a general peds position at a rural (ok, backwoods) hospital for $150k starting salary with $25k/year loan repayment and a 10k sign-on bonus. If he commits to it while still a resident they will give him a monthly stipend of about $500 for the duration of residency. Not bad AT ALL!!! I'll take it. :thumbup:

sorry, I get tired of hearing all of this talk about money. This is of course coming from someone who earns in the top 10% of the world- Yes, I am a hypocrite.

top 10% of the world income is fairly pathetic tbh considering most of the world is in abject poverty.

Did you mean top 10% of the US income bracket?

I think around top 0.01% of world income is a better goal. Maybe top 1% in US.

Its a great point to be made about how wealthy we are as a nation and even more so as physicians. I looked up the following info from 2006 cencus.

roughly 19% of households in the US make more than 100,000 dollars in 2006. Of that group, 7% of individuals in the US earned >100,000. So nearly all US physicians are going to be in this group.

World statistics are harder to come by. If 2.5 billion (1/2 world population) people live in abject poverty (<2 dollars per day) then I would believe that 100,000 per year in US dollars would probably put you in top 1% if not higher.

I thought this was interesting

bk, have some questions regarding how you got a job in the ER straight out of residency and how that is working for you...I didn't match for a PEM fellowship this year and need to decide whether or not to try again next year or just screw it and look for a job in an Ed. can you email me at [email protected]
thanks!

The beauty, (and the downfall for that matter,) of Pediatrics is that you can work as hard (or not) as you want to. Whoever was appalled at the salary in the $110s -- that is pretty standard starting salary for a Generalist I think. If you have a really major issue with that (which it sounds like you do,) then don't worry too much -- you can definitely make more. -- you will just be working more as well. I know of Pedatricians that make $300k, but they also still work 70-80 hours a week, or more! No kidding. I also know of Pediatricians that work part time - 3-4 days a week or half days even, but they make around $110k. Not too shabby if you ask me. But yeah, we are notoriously under-compensated, particularly with the whole CHIP/Medicaid issues... get used to it.

careermd.com has many many jobs listed also in addition to pedjobs.org

I was amazed to hear that I was "late" coming into the application process (started slowly in November, full steam in January), plan to graduate in June... (no one internally told me I was late, just places I was applying to)

hey. been looking up residents who've had the chop experience. i'd like to do medical training there before i can apply for residency. It possible? how do i go about it. would be thankful for any info.

anybody know how easy it is to get into a pediatric training program in chop?

hey. been looking up residents who've had the chop experience. i'd like to do medical training there before i can apply for residency. It possible? how do i go about it. would be thankful for any info.

What kind of medical training are you asking about? You can get experience there if you go to Penn for medical school. Before medical school you could see about volunteering there. In medical school you could do an away rotation. That's about all I can think of. Please be more specific if that did not answer your question.

anybody know how easy it is to get into a pediatric training program in chop?

I think you just knock on their door with home-baked cookies and they're game.

Anyone have any idea of how a pediatricians fare in the rural midwest? I also am going to graduate with $300K in loans and had pretty much discarded pediatrics because of my high loans (and lower pay). I decided that my loans aren't a good reason to avoid a field that I really enjoy.... but I'd still like to know if I'm going to be able to pay those loans back in a reasonable amount of time. (6.8% and 8.5% interest rates aren't anything to laugh about either!!!)

Anyone have any idea of how a pediatricians fare in the rural midwest? I also am going to graduate with $300K in loans and had pretty much discarded pediatrics because of my high loans (and lower pay). I decided that my loans aren't a good reason to avoid a field that I really enjoy.... but I'd still like to know if I'm going to be able to pay those loans back in a reasonable amount of time. (6.8% and 8.5% interest rates aren't anything to laugh about either!!!)

I think you have to consider your loans...it's easy for someone to say not to. It shouldn't preclude you from doing peds, but you should make an informed decision.

As for the rural midwest...peds in my area (rural midwest) are making between 150-180,00 with a reasonable work-load.

While were on the subject of loans...does anyone know how common it is to have loan repayment as part of a job offer in peds. I know in FM, it seems that every other job offers loan repayment. What about peds? Thanks,

I think you have to consider your loans...it's easy for someone to say not to. It shouldn't preclude you from doing peds, but you should make an informed decision.

As for the rural midwest...peds in my area (rural midwest) are making between 150-180,00 with a reasonable work-load.

Is that starting salary or average salary? Thanks for the info! You wouldn't happen to be in Missouri, Kansas, or Iowa, would you? I'll probably end up in one of those three states - somewhere in the vicinity (2-3 hours away) of Kansas City or in rural South Central Iowa where I grew up.

Is that starting salary or average salary? Thanks for the info! You wouldn't happen to be in Missouri, Kansas, or Iowa, would you? I'll probably end up in one of those three states - somewhere in the vicinity (2-3 hours away) of Kansas City or in rural South Central Iowa where I grew up.

Missouri, close to Kansas.

140-150,000 is starting in my area, the more experienced docs are making closer to 180,000

I would like to hear about some salary information for peds in the SE region.

This is from a cousin from the Southeast who did her residency at Georgetown. She was offered a position in a mile high state for 250k in a smallerish town.