Peds residency chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted797429

Hello! Was wondering my chances for peds residency - I have some pretty big red flags so I've been concerned... I failed step 1 the first time, got a 209 on the retake and only got a 218 on Step 2 (fell below my practice scores +25 points). I go to a top 25 US MD school, have strong evals and LORs, have 5 publications including 1 first author. Currently doing my sub I at my home program that I ultimately hope to match into, but it is a competitive one so I feel my chances to match there are low. What is attainable to me at this point? I was planning on doing fellowship after, but also wondering if that’s not attainable either. Thanks! Apologizes if this is formatted wrong!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Was wondering my chances for peds residency - I have some pretty big red flags so I've been concerned... I failed step 1 the first time, got a 209 on the retake and only got a 218 on Step 2 (fell below my practice scores +25 points). I go to a top 25 US MD school, have strong evals and LORs, have 5 publications including 1 first author. Currently doing my sub I at my home program that I ultimately hope to match into, but it is a competitive one so I feel my chances to match there are low. What is attainable to me at this point? I was planning on doing fellowship after, but also wondering if that’s not attainable either. Thanks! Apologizes if this is formatted wrong!
I mean, you won't know until you apply, but those Step scores are a red flag (especially since they are so consistent) and likely hinder you in applying for a competitive residency as well as competitive subspecialities for fellowship (not knowing what subspeciality you want to pursue). But the publications are a plus and strong LORs will help.

Honestly, apply broadly and nail the interviews.

Reactions: 1 user