(Peds) Ortho Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diamonddoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have a pediatric orthopedic oncologist who works at my hospital and he seem to be in such huge demand. Does anyone know any info on this specialty or lifestyle? average income? I know he doesn't restict his practice to children but operates on adults as well. Seems like a :cool: field.

Members don't see this ad.

We have a pediatric orthopedic oncologist who works at my hospital and he seem to be in such huge demand. Does anyone know any info on this specialty or lifestyle? average income? I know he doesn't restict his practice to children but operates on adults as well. Seems like a :cool: field.

Seems like money and lifestyle is the wrong way to choose such a highly specialized, difficult field.

There's a peds ortho oncologist at my school. He is very busy too, and in very high demand. However, thats because no one goes into ortho oncology. There are also very few (relatively) musculoskeletal cancers in general, but even fewer ortho oncologists. Besides the Ewings and giant cells, there are ultra rare tumors that come literally once a year and less. I saw a case in which there were 4 of those types of tumors for the whole year in the US.

You'll find ortho oncologists, especially ortho peds oncologists almost exclusively at acedemic centers. If you're looking to make more money than your other ortho cohorts, you have to remember that academic pays less than private, and peds definately pays less than everything. You definately won't go hungry, but for the amount of work, its not huge. One interesting thing though-I have noticed during this application season that many of the chairs are oncologists.

sscooterguy