peds fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noelle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in Pediatric Neurology and I know that you must do two years of peds before beginning the 3 year child neurology fellowship. I was wondering if the other pediatric fellowships require the full 3 years of peds or only 2. Secondly, if they only require 2, how do you go about applying to residencies? Do you tell them up front that you want to do a pediatric fellowship after your first two years?? Any help on navigating this would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Noelle
I am interested in Pediatric Neurology and I know that you must do two years of peds before beginning the 3 year child neurology fellowship. can you be BC/BE in peds if you do this? I don't think so. Why not finish the full peds residency and take your boards.

I was wondering if the other pediatric fellowships require the full 3 years of peds or only 2.

almost all. I think peds Er might still be two.
Neonatal, cards, ID, pulmonology, A and I, GI......all 3 yrs post residency

Do you tell them up front that you want to do a pediatric fellowship after your first two years

you'd better! otherwise, you'll have one angry peds PD.

I applied for my fellowship ( neonatal-perinatal ) after about 17 months of peds residency. I was accepted to my fellowship program by February of my second year. Many were like that. Some places select their fellows years in advance.
How do you know what subspecialty to choose so far in advance. Good question. Anyway, not a problem for you obviously.

check out the green book for board certification requirements, or call the local peds neurology program.
I am sure the fellowship secretary has all that information.
also post this on the SDN neuro forum.

Still, better to get the advice from an actual program than on an anonymous forum

the chair of the peds department at my school informed me of a few combined programs that are five years instead of the normal six years (3 years of residency, 3 years of fellowship)...e.g., peds-genetics, peds-adolescent medicine...a few people in my class will probably be going this route including myself (once I decide peds instead of OB). I am interested in staying in california and looking into programs here. ideally I would like to do a combined program. i believe UC Irvine has a combined residency as well as Children's Hospital LA...

if i'm not mistaken, almost all fellowships will take 3 years post-residency, so one less year could make a big difference!

try looking on the FREIDA website to research programs with fellowships and contact the program for more info...