Peds/Child Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahE

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

I'm a third year student hoping to do pediatrics and child neurology. I know that most peds neuro programs accept applications from students for PGY-3 but then you have to find a peds position for the first two years. I'm concerned about whether I'll be able to find a peds program to take me knowing that I'll just be doing the first two years. Any idea how people usually work this out? Should I apply to some peds programs for 3 year positions as back-up (6 years of residency instead of 5 still beats having to scramble).

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Sarah,

I am only going into my 2nd year but I have looked into this because of my strong interest in ped neuro. Most of the ~65 programs take students for PGY-3, as you already know, and themselves have pediatric programs to which you must simultaneously apply. Within the X # of spots that particular program offers for general peds positions, they usually set aside a spot or two for future residents such as yourself who will likely complete 2 years rather than the full 3 years. I think you have to apply for the pre-fellowship peds through ERAS but you negotiate with child neuro programs for the fellowship years (PGY-3 through 5) since they do not use either ERAS or SF Match. Hope this helps, and be sure to get a 2nd opinion;) !! Good luck.

sarah thanks for the post and thanks medpuck for the response - i am still confused because i am in a similar position. it sounds like you apply only to categorical pediatric residencies, but again do you inform the program that your intention is peds neuro? i would think not becuase then they are left with an open pgy3 spot which i cant imagine filling... so unlike adult neurology, there is no way to directly apply to pediatric neurology spots straight from medical school?

any other guidance on anyone that has gone through this process would be great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your responses.

You can definitely apply to do child neurology while you are still in school. Not all of them take applicants from med students, but many do. I spoke with the peds residency director here, and the catch seems to be that if you apply for your third year of neurology then you need to get into peds at that same school, otherwise you are pretty much out of luck. The faculty in peds at that school has a vested interest in taking you because they will probably want their peds residents to have a close relationship with the child neurology residents.

That said, I think that even though I will apply to several neurology programs, I will also apply to a lot of general peds programs with the knowledge that if I do that I may have to do 3 years of peds. It would of course be unethical to interview at general peds programs when you have accepted a third year in child neurology and not say anything. But - if nothing is set in stone I think that you need to keep your options open. Lots of people apply to both med/peds and peds programs, and I am pretty much thinking of it as though I am applying to peds/peds neuro and peds programs.

I have thought about saying that I cannot officially accept a child neurology position until after the match because if I don't match with the school where I have been accepted into child neurology, and I do match with a program where I haven't said anything about my interest in child neurology, I am going to feel morally obligated to do the three years. (sorry for the huge run-on sentence)

Hope this makes sense - it's time to go and I've been typing fast.

I'd love to hear any more thoughts that you have about this!

-Sarah.

To Anyone,
I don't know if your willing to move or not, but Johnson City, TN is lacking in the Child Neurology dept.!! We have 2 child neuros and they are in Knoxville.....A good drive for everyone on this side of it : southeast Va included!.....There is now a waiting of 2 months to be able to see these doctors because they are so booked!....You should think about moving to Johnson City, TN and starting your career...This is where East Tennessee State University is located and there are about 5 hospitals in a 45min radius....There is a group of neuros in johnson city, but not specializing in children....They had one once named Jarlath Mitchell, but he moved back home to Ireland....Anyway, I know I'm rambling, but we are in desperate need here....Think about it...
Good Luck!
Desiree'- mommy of 2 who need a closer neurologist

Hi,

I also want to go do peds neuro. I have many of the same questions you have, and here's what I've gathered from my advisor and from someone who matched in peds neuro this year:

As you already know, peds neuro is considered a "fellowship" in most places, that two years of peds is required before peds neuro residency. I was told by my peds advisor that it's OK to specify your career goals during the residency application process. She said that people will be interested in what your future plans are. It is also not unusual for those seeking specialty training to leave after two years. Alternatively, you can always stay for that 3rd year to gain more experience.

If you apply to peds neuro programs accepting applications from senior medical students, you will need to submit separate ERAS for peds categorical. Acceptance to peds neuro programs will be earlier than the March match results. If one is flexible and has no preference to a particular program for one reason or another, applicants usually accept placement in a peds neuro program before knowing where they end up for the first 2-3 years of categorical peds.

I will be doing couples' match for my categorical peds. I spoke with someone who was in a similar situation last year, and this person was able to work with the peds neuro programs until the March results came through. I am hoping that programs will be understanding of my personal situation.

It's exciting to hear from someone else interested in peds neuro. Hope all goes well !:clap: :clap: