Peds and EM: feasible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diamonddoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
How realistic is it to do an ER and peds residency and practice both at the same time? i.e. 2 days a week private practice peds worked around my ER shifts?
I am currently in a peds residency and am thinking about going into EM. What could I expect my salary do be (range) if I would try the above scenario? I think I would do adult ER and gain better leverage in my flexibility to work in an adult ER, peds ER, and private practice peds.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think in the right environment you can do it. You'd need to do a pediatric residency and then a EM fellowship -- total of 6 years.

Ed

edmadison said:
I think in the right environment you can do it. You'd need to do a pediatric residency and then a EM fellowship -- total of 6 years.

Does the EM fellowship after pediatrics residency include training in adult EM? I was under the impression that it did not. The OP wants to do adult/peds ER with a general peds practice.

scholes said:
Does the EM fellowship after pediatrics residency include training in adult EM? I was under the impression that it did not. The OP wants to do adult/peds ER with a general peds practice.

I'm note sure, but I believe that it does. When I rotated in the adult ED (a military requirement), I had a Peds -> EM fellow rotating with med doing all adult stuff. I do not know whether all programs do this, or whether this is enough to get a job doing adult ER.

Ed