Pediatric residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ian21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does your school have a pediatric rotation?

I wanted to do Pediatric dentistry coming into dental school. The dentists I primarily shadowed before dental school is a pediatric dentist and made it look fun, easy, and rewarding.

...But then we had our pediatric rotation at Children's hospital. Primarily saw kids that were a Frankl 3-4. I like kids but I quickly realized I could not see kids all day for rest of my life. I have no idea how the dentists kept their energy up all day, talking in cartoon voices, and dealing with both the kid and the parent. I looked fun and easy but I quickly realized why there is a pediatric speciality even though the actual dentistry is simple most of the time. Point is make sure you actually would like doing it.

As for the application just continue to try and get as many As as possible every semester. Can't afford to get lower grades as you progress towards end of D3 the number of graded class usually decrease and pass/fail class increase which won't help your GPA/rank. Otherwise the other stuff you are doing sound pretty good!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does your school have a pediatric rotation?

I wanted to do Pediatric dentistry coming into dental school. The dentists I primarily shadowed before dental school is a pediatric dentist and made it look fun, easy, and rewarding.

...But then we had our pediatric rotation at Children's hospital. Primarily saw kids that were a Frankl 3-4. I like kids but I quickly realized I could not see kids all day for rest of my life. I have no idea how the dentists kept their energy up all day, talking in cartoon voices, and dealing with both the kid and the parent. I looked fun and easy but I quickly realized why there is a pediatric speciality even though the actual dentistry is simple most of the time. Point is make sure you actually would like doing it.

As for the application just continue to try and get as many As as possible every semester. Can't afford to get lower grades as you progress towards end of D3 the number of graded class usually decrease and pass/fail class increase which won't help your GPA/rank. Otherwise the other stuff you are doing sound pretty good!
Thank you! This was really helpful and made me really think about if I am okay with doing it for the rest of my life. I don't believe we do but we have requirements in the pediatric dental department once we're in clinic. I'll probably figure it out once I am in clinic in a few months.

Reactions: 1 user
Extern and see what residency is really like and what doing peds is before you commit

Reactions: 1 users