*Best Tips for Applying to Pediatric Dentistry Residency Programs*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedsdentist123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year pediatric dentistry resident who helps applicants create the best application possible. I had a FB group in the past, but I know people value anonymity in the application cycle, so ask a question below, PM a question, and I'll be more than glad to answer. Ask away, feature colleagues! I want to see you all succeed.

I'll also drop tips that I've gathered down below!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I’m a current D1 considering peds - how would you recommend spending the (precious little) spare time I have to prep my resume well for a peds residency?

Do you think there is a stronger pull towards hands on experience vs research?

I’m currently involved in dental clinics in my city and have some leadership roles, but not a lot of access to pediatric or special needs populations, where my interests lie. Thanks for any tips!

I’m a current D1 considering peds - how would you recommend spending the (precious little) spare time I have to prep my resume well for a peds residency?

Do you think there is a stronger pull towards hands on experience vs research?

I’m currently involved in dental clinics in my city and have some leadership roles, but not a lot of access to pediatric or special needs populations, where my interests lie. Thanks for any tips!
Hello and welcome to the best dental speciality there is!

Different programs value different aspects of the app. An academic program will likely value the research more. A clinically heavy program will likely value the hands on experience more. However, if youre applying right out of dental school, the clinical experience will still be very limited.

Even though you don't have access to the audience you are interested in (I was in the same boat, I didn't do a single procedure on a pediatric patient prior to residency!), it's important to participate in activities that hold value to you, even if not directly related to peds, because you will be able to speak more candidly and passionately about them.

In summary, diversify your application. If you haven't done any research and you have the opportunity to do some, go ahead! Participate in activities that interest you. Get to know your peds faculty so when the time comes for a letter of recommendation, they know you well!

I wish you all the best. Ask me any other questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What ranking is considered "safe" to be accepted?

This is strictly personal preference. However, most procedures in pediatrics do not require much magnification. I get by with 3.5 and it's the sweet spot for me.
What loupes magnification would you recommend for dental student hoping to specialize in pedo (I'm a D1)?
Also, would you recommend the Lumadent ergoprism loupes for pedo?
I heard that the peripheral vision is very limited with these ergoprism.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the best way to get the attention of the programs that you're interested in? Do you think externships / site visits are critical? What about having connections?

Visits or externships can work for you or against you. We had people visit my program that left bad impressions with staff, residents, and/or faculty, so they were never invited for an official interview.

Big Hoss
Would you mind expanding on things that may be red flags to staff/residents? Was it just the typical stuff like being late?

Basic question but what should be the process of looking into a peds residency? Current D2. Do I just get the best grades possible now and join the peds club?

Members don't see this ad :)
Basic question but what should be the process of looking into a peds residency? Current D2. Do I just get the best grades possible now and join the peds club?
#1: Get the best grades possible.
#2: Things used to distinguish yourself are research, leadership, and service. Pick at least 2 of these.

Big Hoss

Visits or externships can work for you or against you. We had people visit my program that left bad impressions with staff, residents, and/or faculty, so they were never invited for an official interview.

Big Hoss
How/why?

I am an experienced dentist with over 10 years of experience treating kids in private practice.I want to apply this cycle.
My GPA is not very good .
Kindly advise what are my chances .
Does any schools give preference to experienced dentists?

I am an experienced dentist with over 10 years of experience treating kids in private practice.I want to apply this cycle.
Experience is a plus for sure. Never know unless you apply😃. I’m in similar situation but doing endo.

Hello,

I feel qualified to answer this question because I had experience before becoming a pediatric resident.

To be honest, it quite depends on the program (and specialty but I'm only thinking of pediatrics as I write this answer). Some programs prefer some experience while others despise it. I'd recommend reaching out to residents of each program you're interested in and seeing if there are only new grads or a mix.

I understand that there are varying reasons as to why programs do not like experienced dentists but my bias is that I think they think we are too fixed in our ways. I struggled with unlearning bad habits after starting residency too. The most important thing that you have to display is your willingness to learn and be adaptable. A lot of my questions were geared towards my willingness to be flexible and not be so stuck in my ways.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the best way to get the attention of the programs that you're interested in? Do you think externships / site visits are critical? What about having connections?
Like some have mentioned before, I think externships could be a double edged sword. But to be honest, if you are respectful and appreciative, you should be fine. I think going to externships will give you a chance to get to know programs and rather than trying to use an externship to appeal to a program, you should use that opportunity to get an inside look for what kind of residency you personally want.

I'm a first year pediatric dentistry resident who helps applicants create the best application possible. I had a FB group in the past, but I know people value anonymity in the application cycle, so ask a question below, PM a question, and I'll be more than glad to answer. Ask away, feature colleagues! I want to see you all succeed.

Hello, thanks for offering to help us! If it would be possible, I would seriously appreciate your help to get a sense of whether I stand a chance for a peds residency. Im an internationally trained dentist and have no idea if schools will consider me instead of someone else

You may have problems when applying to programs that fund residents with GME funding, depending on your immigration status.

Big Hoss
Other than that, am i automatically considered less competitive because of the fact that I didn’t study dentistry in the us? And also, does it really come down to who recommended you and if they know who you are?

Other than that, am i automatically considered less competitive because of the fact that I didn’t study dentistry in the us?
You probably have an uphill battle. Pediatric dentistry is one of the most popular specialties right now. I am pretty sure they receive more applications than any other specialty. So, there are more than enough qualified applicants from US schools. There are a few programs, I believe that do reserve spots for foreign grads. But, these spots are usually unfunded, meaning you need to support yourself and pay any applicable tuition.
And also, does it really come down to who recommended you and if they know who you are?
No. You need a well rounded application.

Big Hoss

Other than that, am i automatically considered less competitive because of the fact that I didn’t study dentistry in the us? And also, does it really come down to who recommended you and if they know who you are?
Also, don’t discount the GME funding issue. Many programs, where I went included, won’t even consider someone not eligible for the funding because it would be too much of a hassle for them to figure out alternative arrangements.

It might be worth your effort for you to reach out to individual programs to ask if they would even consider you.

I am also assuming you’ve taken and passed the NBDE. If not, that’s a non-starter right there.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
I understand that there are varying reasons as to why programs do not like experienced dentists but my bias is that I think they think we are too fixed in our ways. I struggled with unlearning bad habits after starting residency too. The most important thing that you have to display is your willingness to learn and be adaptable. A lot of my questions were geared towards my willingness to be flexible and not be so stuck in my ways.
Out of curiosity, what are some examples of bad habits people have to overcome coming from the workforce VS dental school?

Out of curiosity, what are some examples of bad habits people have to overcome coming from the workforce VS dental school?
Every program has their own ways of doing things and this can even be attending specific. Everything from treatment planning down to how to perform a given procedure. As we work in private practice, we take what we've already learned in dental school and modify it to suit our own needs. We develop shortcuts, we add new steps and remove others. When you enter residency, their goal is to teach you their way of doing pediatric dentistry. The saying "you can't teach old dogs new tricks" applies in this case. Are you able and willing to learn their way? Can you be coached and taught the "right" way to practice pediatric dentistry? These are things that they look for when evaluating applicants who have real world experience under their belt.

Every program has their own ways of doing things and this can even be attending specific. Everything from treatment planning down to how to perform a given procedure. As we work in private practice, we take what we've already learned in dental school and modify it to suit our own needs. We develop shortcuts, we add new steps and remove others. When you enter residency, their goal is to teach you their way of doing pediatric dentistry. The saying "you can't teach old dogs new tricks" applies in this case. Are you able and willing to learn their way? Can you be coached and taught the "right" way to practice pediatric dentistry? These are things that they look for when evaluating applicants who have real world experience under their belt.
Isn’t everyone learning all the time to do things better? What if residency uses antiquated techniques? I know that was the case when i was in dental school. Why not aim to learn the “best” way, old dog or not?

Last edited:
Isn’t everyone learning all the time to do things better? What if residency uses antiquated techniques? I know that was the case when i was in dental school. Why not aim to learn the “best” way, old dog or not?

You're correct in that everyone should always be continuously learning and applying the most current evidence based techniques. However, in practice, it doesn't always work that way. Keeping up can be very difficult as we get older.

I’ll start dental school in August and I am not very familiar with application and applying process for residency but I see ADAT, NBDE part 1,NBDE part 2 and INBDE in standardized test section in app. Does it mean I should take all these tests before I submit my application? Or some of them are optional? Or discontinued?

I’ll start dental school in August and I am not very familiar with application and applying process for residency but I see ADAT, NBDE part 1,NBDE part 2 and INBDE in standardized test section in app. Does it mean I should take all these tests before I submit my application? Or some of them are optional? Or discontinued?
ADAT-required for some residency programs as another way to evaluate candidates. Hasn't been a big of factor as they made it out to be when I was in dental school and it was supposed to be new way for residency applications.

NBDE Part 1/2 is now INBDE-just those 2 integrated. This one you will definitely take during your time in dental school.

I'm on the fence about doing a pediatric residency. I graduated in 2020, and have only worked at pediatric offices as a general dentist since then. I really enjoy it a lot. My biggest hangup with not having done a residency is that I cannot do general anesthesia cases in a hospital or outpatient office setting. Most of them require a residency and to be board certified.
When I was in dental school, I didn't really push super hard to get amazing grades. I was probably middle to lower end of my class because I didn't see myself doing any extra schooling. I did great clinically, but I had no desire to kill myself over studying information that I viewed as only necessary to pass the boards.
Now in practice, I enjoy pediatrics a lot. There really isn't any procedure that I'm not comfortable with doing.

At this point, I feel so far removed from the school setting that I'm not even sure what kind of chance I would have to get into a residency. I don't even know what the process would be to apply.

Hello! I hope everyone is doing well. I am a Canadian student in my final year of dental school. Could you please provide me with a list of dental schools that are less competitive? I'm curious to know if less competitiveness implies a lower quality of education.

Additionally, I would appreciate any insights or thoughts you might have about NYU Langone programs.

Thank you!

I'm on the fence about doing a pediatric residency. I graduated in 2020, and have only worked at pediatric offices as a general dentist since then. I really enjoy it a lot. My biggest hangup with not having done a residency is that I cannot do general anesthesia cases in a hospital or outpatient office setting. Most of them require a residency and to be board certified.
When I was in dental school, I didn't really push super hard to get amazing grades. I was probably middle to lower end of my class because I didn't see myself doing any extra schooling. I did great clinically, but I had no desire to kill myself over studying information that I viewed as only necessary to pass the boards.
Now in practice, I enjoy pediatrics a lot. There really isn't any procedure that I'm not comfortable with doing.

At this point, I feel so far removed from the school setting that I'm not even sure what kind of chance I would have to get into a residency. I don't even know what the process would be to apply.
If you're truly interested in pediatrics, then just start doing some research on the application process and get started. I was hardly a 5 star applicant and managed to get some interviews and eventually matched. I'm also familiar with the interview processes at a couple of schools and you'd be surprised at the candidates that apply and end up getting interviews. If you like pediatrics, just go for it!

This may be a bit early to ask but I'm a 2021 graduate looking to apply at the next cycle for peds! The past 2 years of general practice have shown me I really like pediatrics and would love to make it my career. My dental school GPA hopefully shouldn't be a problem (~3.74-ish?) but I don't have any pediatric dentists in private practice/or from the faculty that I'd be able to ask for references. My plan was to spend the 8-9months before the next cycle shadowing the peds faculty at the school I graduated from and shadowing peds in private practice, hoping to form connections and get to see what peds in residency and private practice would be like. Does that sound helpful? Or are there any other things I can do?

This may be a bit early to ask but I'm a 2021 graduate looking to apply at the next cycle for peds! The past 2 years of general practice have shown me I really like pediatrics and would love to make it my career. My dental school GPA hopefully shouldn't be a problem (~3.74-ish?) but I don't have any pediatric dentists in private practice/or from the faculty that I'd be able to ask for references. My plan was to spend the 8-9months before the next cycle shadowing the peds faculty at the school I graduated from and shadowing peds in private practice, hoping to form connections and get to see what peds in residency and private practice would be like. Does that sound helpful? Or are there any other things I can do?
Do you have research experience? Do you think it is necessary for pediatric residency?

Do you have research experience? Do you think it is necessary for pediatric residency?
No I don't have research experience. Never particularly interested me too much so I'd probably focus more on hospital programs without research.

If the pediatric residency program is more research focused, I can definitely see it as being necessary.

No I don't have research experience. Never particularly interested me too much so I'd probably focus more on hospital programs without research.

If the pediatric residency program is more research focused, I can definitely see it as being necessary.
what ways were you able to get clinical experience outside of working in the school's clinic? cause I kinda struggle with how to demonstrate that I care about the community because there are not a lot of opportunities available to us at my school, especially if you are not a D3/D4.

what ways were you able to get clinical experience outside of working in the school's clinic? cause I kinda struggle with how to demonstrate that I care about the community because there are not a lot of opportunities available to us at my school, especially if you are not a D3/D4.
Just wanna clarify that I'm also a future applicant so I prob don't have any good answers to your questions lol

Im a current D3 who never wanted to specialize. I just finished my first pediatrics rotation (3 weeks long) and i fell in love with it. I have not participated in any peds clubs/shadowing/research, but i plan on participating now as a 3rd year. My class rank is exactly 40 out of just over 100 total students. GPA is 90.5 (we go off a 100 scale).

Im worried i will be glossed over if I apply because I havent participated in those things i mentioned above, and my rank isnt top 20% or even 30%. The only things I have going for me is that I am my class's class president (3 years running), I have good faculty relationships, and I have been told that my hand skills are well above average.

One of the peds faculty at my school, who is on the pediatric residency admission committee, told me that they will set up meetings with me and be my mentor to help me apply because they think i would be great at PEDS. Im just worried my stats arent there, and Im honestly wondering if any of you have a reality check for me before I devote all my energy to this.

Do yall have any thoughts on my application, based on my brief story?

Im a current D3 who never wanted to specialize. I just finished my first pediatrics rotation (3 weeks long) and i fell in love with it. I have not participated in any peds clubs/shadowing/research, but i plan on participating now as a 3rd year. My class rank is exactly 40 out of just over 100 total students. GPA is 90.5 (we go off a 100 scale).

Im worried i will be glossed over if I apply because I havent participated in those things i mentioned above, and my rank isnt top 20% or even 30%. The only things I have going for me is that I am my class's class president (3 years running), I have good faculty relationships, and I have been told that my hand skills are well above average.

One of the peds faculty at my school, who is on the pediatric residency admission committee, told me that they will set up meetings with me and be my mentor to help me apply because they think i would be great at PEDS. Im just worried my stats arent there, and Im honestly wondering if any of you have a reality check for me before I devote all my energy to this.

Stats are only one piece of your overall application. I've met many pediatric dentists over the years that were not exactly the best applicants as far as transcripts were concerned. Try and make yourself known to the faculty at your school. Volunteer at any of their events and just try your best.

You certainly have a chance. As the person above stats aren't everything but they certainly are important to get you through the door. But if you are passionate about the field, it will be clear on your application. Get strong letters of recommendation, and its great that there are faculty who are already supporting you. It Is well worth the effort if its what you really want.

@pedsdentist123 HI I am DMD 3 and have worked to improve my profile for application (have papers in AAPD/JDR all related to work among children). This might sound strange, can you share any knowledge on programs that train residents on apexification and apexogenesis. People say its endo, I am interested in that but i dread seeing only canals all day. Peds see trauma first but as far as I spoke to as many peds residents/spl. no one knew it. can you share your 2 cents if you dont mind. I am focussed only on 2 year programs. Dont want any more research LOL.

This might sound strange, can you share any knowledge on programs that train residents on apexification and apexogenesis. People say it’s endo, I am interested in that but i dread seeing only canals all day.
Those people are correct calling it endo. You will learn about it in peds, but you will not be doing it.

Big Hoss

Those people are correct calling it endo. You will learn about it in peds, but you will not be doing it.

Big Hoss
You mean to say that what we learn during residency wont be enough to practice is it? Just curious..what does a peds resident do as part of trauma management during emergency on call?

Mostly they just wish they weren’t on call, as they try to splint the alveolar fracture on the 3 year old who most definitely does not want to be in the ED at 2 AM…

Big Hoss
This. But you'll, get a lot of fractured/avulsed teeth and pain/abscesses. Nothing too interesting.