Pediatric Hem/Onc Fellowship Interview Thread 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is the general percentage of people going into 4th year super fellowship? I assume most places only take one or two people a year for that so must be even smaller world. Also, what is the market for majority hematology based jobs?
COVID-related budget cuts may be changing this as we speak. If you get grants from ASPHO, St. Baldricks, ASH, etc. to support your salary (or at least a part of it), any program would be happy to let you stay for the 4th or 5th year. However, I know that even some top-tier programs don't have fundings for 4th year positions this year and the upcoming year, especially for more "clinical" 4th year positions (N/O, BMT, Thrombosis, etc.). Like @GoSpursGo said, it's good to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How much is everyone taking reputation into account for ranking? Are the US news rankings a good indication of how reputable the program is?

How much is everyone taking reputation into account for ranking? Are the US news rankings a good indication of how reputable the program is?
I think you have to take reputation into account, as that will have some impact on your marketability after fellowship. However, you also need to keep in mind that there is a decent chance that you are going to want to remain on faculty wherever you complete your fellowship--so given that you may wind up where you do fellowship for more than 3 years (I'm finally leaving my fellowship institution 5+ years after I arrived), you really need to factor location and proximity to family into your fellowship choice.

RE US news rankings, I think anyone would agree that the top 10-15 are all strong institutions and you wouldn't go wrong at any of them. I tend to disagree with the exact ranking (for example, IMO St. Jude is way too low at number 10), but if you're just looking for a list of "good" programs that's not a bad initial list. Outside of the top 15ish, I think it becomes a crapshoot. Some of the programs in the 15-50 range really wouldn't be on my list of top programs, while in contrast there are some really great programs (University of Minnesota comes immediately to mind) that aren't ranked but I would consider among the top programs in the country. Also, it's important to keep in mind that within a small field like peds heme/onc, except at the biggest programs like Boston, CHOP, Texas Children's, etc, most programs have strengths and weaknesses. So if you already have an inkling about what you want to do (ie leukemia vs. sarcoma vs. transplant vs. benign heme), YOUR list of "strong programs" may be different from someone else. This is where it's really crucial to get direct input on your program list from your mentors who have a better sense of which programs may fit your professional interests best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im curious what people think about the ranking in terms of hematology training? I keep hearing that only 5-6 programs really offer strong hematology but every interview they have highlighted the balance in both areas of the speciality.

Im curious what people think about the ranking in terms of hematology training? I keep hearing that only 5-6 programs really offer strong hematology but every interview they have highlighted the balance in both areas of the speciality.
What type of hematology? Hemoglobinopathy, hemophilia/coagulopathy, immunoheme, or gen heme? I disagree with only 5-6 programs have strong hematology training. Any top 20 programs will have a little bit of everything and give you good training to pass hem/onc boards. But none of them are gonna be field leaders in all. For example, if you are interested in doing sickle cell, your experience at Houston or DC is going to be very different from your experience at Denver or Seattle (for obvious reasons of sheer volume). If you already find yourself narrowing down to a specific field/niche, you might want to research the field leaders in that niche and where they are.

I hope everyone had a great interview season! Anyone have any particular programs they loved? Also curious if anyone has gotten responses or follow up from programs?

Once again, good luck everyone as you make your rank lists!

To reiterate, my recommendation is to really consider which program is going to help maximize your research productivity. That can mean different things to different people--for example, for some it means that there is a specific mentor who is perfect for their pre-existing research interests, or for others it may be living in a city with family support. In general, look for programs which will protect your research time (ie, relatively little overnight calls/weekend coverage during dedicated research time) and for programs with opportunities to compete for internal funding to extend your training for a 4th year. Just about any program can train you clinically, but it will by and large be your research productivity that will get you a job after fellowship.

It has been a decent amount of time since I interviewed, but if there are any questions about my general gestalt about various programs feel free to shoot me a PM.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck everyone with their submissions. May the match be in our favor! Ended up putting hometown as #1. Being away for residency was tough, but worth the experience. Being near family I think would help me be at my best for anything.

Good luck everyone! If you're like me, you're feeling quite anxious. Hopefully it all works out for the best!

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck tomorrow everyone, I hope you all wind up at the perfect program for you!

For anyone willing to post their match results, if you happen to be at my prior fellowship program or my current institution I will reach out to you privately to give you my thoughts. You are also welcome to reach out to me by PM :)

Excited to have matched!!

I am interested though,
I saw the data that last year ~70% got their first choice, ~20% second choice.
I’m very happy with my match. It was 5th on my list. (And unexpected if the above statistics were to hold true this year). I wonder if the programs this year sent out an excess of interviews in an attempt to ensure they fill, and the programs who all around have a better virtual interview had more applicants ranking them higher, leading to matches lower on applicants lists. I am VERY grateful to not be in a super competitive match like ED or PHM! Just curious what others experiences are and thoughts.

Excited to have matched!!

I am interested though,
I saw the data that last year ~70% got their first choice, ~20% second choice.
I’m very happy with my match. It was 5th on my list. (And unexpected if the above statistics were to hold true this year). I wonder if the programs this year sent out an excess of interviews in an attempt to ensure they fill, and the programs who all around have a better virtual interview had more applicants ranking them higher, leading to matches lower on applicants lists. I am VERY grateful to not be in a super competitive match like ED or PHM! Just curious what others experiences are and thoughts.
Can’t comment on this phenomenon of matching lower on one’s rank list due to the pandemic, though I do feel like we have seen Several reports of that and it makes sense.

FWIW, back when I applied I matched at my number 6 program. Was really hurt, especially since I had gotten very strong signals from my number 3 program and felt I was likely to match at least in my top 3. Was pretty unhappy with the location of my program.

Of course, fast forward 5 years and the program I wound up at was perfect for me. So it’s totally fine to feel however you do today, but I am sure it will be the same for you :)

I echo a similar experience. I got good feedback from my top 5 and matched #7 this year. I was disappointed at first But ultimately very happy about my match !

Anyone have advice before starting heme/onc fellowship? Resources/books/video series/websites that would be particularly helpful in the transition? Thank you!
Before you spend money, you may want to talk with your new program. They may provide you with a textbook when you arrive.

TBH, the field is too broad to realistically sit and read a textbook. But one thing I do like about Pizzo and Poplack is that you get access to an online version that you can pull up on your phone and is searchable.

Outside of that, reading the background sections on some of the COG trials may also give you relevant info on the diseases and the questions being asked in the trials you're enrolling patients onto.