PCOM - GA Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
riiiiight. thanks.

Since there seems to be previous PCOM-GA folks out there. Here are a few questions I am interested in having answered at the 2010 student panel on Thursday. (If you have an abundance of time you can answer here if you want.) So y'all have some time to come up with good ones:

1. what sorts of study facilitators do you recommend i.e. other materials to purchase other than the required/recommended texts and websites do find useful?

2. what are some study techniques you have discovered works?

3. What are some things you have learned to do or behaviors adopted which have made life easier for you as a med student?

4. Are there any books you recommend reading, other than the obvious?

that is all I can think of now. Thanks again for being a valuable resource for us lower classmen.

Members don't see this ad.

riiiiight. thanks.

Since there seems to be previous PCOM-GA folks out there. Here are a few questions I am interested in having answered at the 2010 student panel on Thursday. (If you have an abundance of time you can answer here if you want.) So y'all have some time to come up with good ones:

1. what sorts of study facilitators do you recommend i.e. other materials to purchase other than the required/recommended texts and websites do find useful?

The Board Review Series of texts. Microbiology and Pharmacology flash cards from BRS or Lange.
Lots of 3-ring binders if u like to save all handouts - I wish I had my microbiology and some pathology handouts when I was studying for boards - although most can be downloaded from the PCOM BlackBoard network.
Your own set of dry-erase markers if u want to draw out stuff on white-boards and not have to waste time looking for markers - useful study tool for anatomy and biochem pathways.

2. what are some study techniques you have discovered works?

I never found a perfect locale - I tried school, home, other libraries, Panera Bread and even Steak & Shake - but I stuck with one common place each term - that seemed to keep me on track. I studied alone, not in groups. Also, pay attention to detail, those students who say something is "minutiae" and "not clinically relevant" will pay the price later.

3. What are some things you have learned to do or behaviors adopted which have made life easier for you as a med student?

Shaved once a week, max.

Cramming works short-term, it really does; but you wont retain it when boards come around - its a judgement call of whether you want to study now or later.

Live as close to school as possible, on the same street if possible. within 2 miles is ideal.

Share any useful resources with others, what goes around comes around, and people will help you out too.

4. Are there any books you recommend reading, other than the obvious?

Moore's anatomy is good.
BRS Physiology is good, and quick to read.
Get Goljan Pathology review sometime first year, and start to read it.
USMLE First AID, get it now and make notes in it as classes progress, it will be invaluable come board review time.
This is nerdy, but reading JAMA or New England Journal Of Med articles will, overtime, be of immense value.
"Complications", and "Better", by Atul Gawande, are good reads.

that is all I can think of now. Thanks again for being a valuable resource for us lower classmen.

Just don't fall behind. I used weekends to catch up a lot, in hindsight I should've kept-up during the weekdays.

If, after a while, u think going to lecture is not helpful to you - don't go, but do make an appearance atleast twice a week so your face remains familiar, among faculty.

Hello,

I'm applying to the GA Campus, I'm from Philly. How's the area down there and the people are they nice at the campus, what are they looking for in an applicant?

Nickie3572

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a link to their curriculum? I am particularly interested in years 3-4. What are the core clerkships, and how many elective clerkships do you get?

Has anyone heard any news from ga-pcom yet about admission for aug. 2008?

Has anyone heard any news from ga-pcom yet about admission for aug. 2008?

The adcom meeting was yesterday. Letters should be arriving between monday and wednesday I was told. I hope to soon be joining the GA-PCOM class of 2012 thread :D

The adcom meeting was yesterday. Letters should be arriving between monday and wednesday I was told. I hope to soon be joining the GA-PCOM class of 2012 thread :D

YAY! Thanks for the info. I've tried calling and asking when the adcom met but no one seemed to ever know when I called. I hope to be joining the 2012 thread as well! :) When did you interview?

This is a bit random, but I was at the Ga-PCOM open house a little over a week ago and in the student panel several people mentioned that they used ExamKrackers MCAT osmosis cds to prep for the MCAT. I was wondering if anyone who used them might be interested in selling them if they happened to have held onto them. Thanks in advance!