PCOM Class of 2006!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, here goes... (I am doing this since I was spazzing out in your shoes last year when no one told us anything...)

As far as I know, if you asked for the $38.5, you'll get it. As long as your EFC wasn't really really high on your SAR (student aid report - from FAFSA). This was not enough money for me when I did my budget b/c I was living in an expensive place, I had a big move to get here, and I like to have my fun.

Therefore, I looked into alternative loans. The finaid office will try to get you not to take them out, but they're just doing there job. I am usually shocked when someone only has out the $38.5, because I couldn't have lived on it. I think I took out close to $10k in alt loans. I chose CitiBank Loans (citibank.com) b/c they had low interest, no guarantor fee, and a good grace period. There are a TON of alternative loans out there for medical students that you can choose from. It doesn't really matter as long as the interest is low, there's no guarantor fees, and there's a grace period for while you're an intern, etc.

When you apply for an alt loan, assuming you have good credit, you'll get what you ask for as long as your total amount of aid (gov't, alt, scholarships, grants, and EFC) doesn't exceed some amount that the fin aid office came up with for the MAX total first year costs. It was somewhere around $48k last year, I think.

Ok, does that help? Oh, yeah, if you have undergrad gov't loans, don't forget to get them deferred...

Michelle

Members don't see this ad.

Michelle-
Once again you have answered my question with what I was looking for. I was definitely feeling that the Stafford Loans wouldn't be enough, and I too am looking into the citibank loans. So, you took out an extra $10,000 huh?
Now that the school year is over, are you finding that you have any left over???

Thanks so much!

-Julianne

Wow...$48,000

If figure that if tuition and expenses don't go too much higher than $32,000, I will be ok with the $6,500 balance.

But I'm going to start research alternative loans...even $5000 might not be too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys as pat of the class of 2006, i think more questions are coming to my mind....i was wondering if anyone can answer one or two are both of these questions.

1) when 3rd and 4th year comes, how does the whole apartment thingy work...do we keep the same apartments that we ve been getting for the the 2 years at pcom....or does every hospital we go to for the 6 weeks put us up..any help would be cool...

2) can anyone explain this whole internship thingy after graduation...is that just for those that are going into omm? or just anosteopathic residency...what if i want to become say a child psychaitrst in california through an allopathic residency, where would this intership come into my life.....any help would be cool

and again...i hope everyone is getting psyched for this year....my adrenaline is starting to rise...thanks!

Here is what I understand about the internship.

If you intend to practice in PA, WV, OH, FL, or MI you need to complete a one-year osteopathic internship.

If you want to attend an osteopathic residency, you need to complete a one-year osteopathic internship.

If you want to be a program director for an osteopathic residency, you need to complete a one-year osteopathic internship.

More information is available here:

<a href="http://www.aoa-net.org/PostDoc/ogmefaq.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aoa-net.org/PostDoc/ogmefaq.htm</a>

See you in August!

PhillyGirl...I PMed you :)

I just wanted to say Hi to everyone at PCOM. I finally made up my mind and decided to attend PCOM's post bacc program. I debated for a while b/t applying to med schools for 2002 and going to a post bacc...and now I feel very good :clap: about my decision. I don't know of any other students here who are going to the same program, so I decided to say hello to Class of 2006...since I'll be sharing the campus :wink: .

Anyhow...looking forward to seeing everyone.

water

ps...will everyone attending PCOM's various programs have the same orientaion on Aug 5th?

water

look forward to meeting you

as far as the Aug 5th thing, I wish I would get a mailing about it...I heard that all of the orientations are that week, but some programs may not start until the 7th or so.

anyone know any better?

Hey guys...
Congrats on all the new PCOMers...

I'm a 4th year student at NSUCOM, and will be doing an elective month up in Philly in August. I know you guys are starting out on your journey, but I'm looking for a place to stay for that month. (I will pay $). I won't be there much, just need a place to sleep and shower. On my days off I will be out of town (to DC where I'm from). If anyone has or knows anyone with an extra room, please private message me! Thanks!
Q

Hey guys!
I was just curious if anyone is living in the Fairmount Terrace Apartments too? When my roomate and I went there to get an apartment, Esther, the landlord informed us that about 40 other first years are living there too! Just thought I would say hi and hope to see you guys around.

-Julianne

Pleasure to have you.

Whew!

I can't believe I'm going to PCOM. I wish I had a few months to digest this good fortune. It would be nice to slow down my pace and prepare a bit... But oh well!

So Guys... Since we're starting in 2 weeks... Are we MSI now? Whoo hoo. Doesn't that sound great? ;-D I am bursting with joy to be starting medschool.

I haven't called myself a medical student yet, although my family is already practicing.

I'm not trying to deny the fact that I will be starting school in a few weeks, but I realize the road ahead is difficult so I think I'm enjoying where I am now.

Also, there is that nervous excitement about something new and challenging, plus all of the new people I am going to meet.

Let me apologize now...I cannot remember names to save my life!

Hey Dr. Josh

What does PCOM have planned for you during orientation?

I guess you can show people around Philly.

Say hi to Mich for me.

AK

Just to get all of you PCOMers-too-be a little excited, we are in the process of planning the fun stuff for orientation. The class of 2005 Social chairs (me, and two of my wonderful classmates) and a few others are putting together some fun that will hopefully show non-Philly peeps the town (well, the nightlife).

So, don't forget your party hats (ya know, with your books and pencils...)

See you all soon!!!

Michelle

I'm down for going out and partying. I know most of the Philly night life already, but not going to pass up an opportunity to hang with my classmates.

See you in a few weeks!

Next Wednesday guys and Girls!!!

It's almost time to play student doctors.

Can ya believe school starts so soon?

I am looking forward to getting to know you all.