This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apparently all the seats have been filled and I’m assuming they gave me the “silent rejection.” I’ll have to look forward to the next cycle. Good luck everyone and I hope you guys eventually get in to MD/DO school someday.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Who said the seats are full? And for what campus?

Members don't see this ad.

DO program at GA campus. My MCAT is just too low apparently. I’ll have to retake and hope I do better. If I do worse than maybe I should consider an alternative career plan.

DO program at GA campus. My MCAT is just too low apparently. I’ll have to retake and hope I do better. If I do worse than maybe I should consider an alternative career plan.

If you had the discipline to obtain >3.5 GPA in the BMS program, then you should be able to get at least 500+ on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree that’s not always the case. Some people just don’t test well on standardized exams. The correlation shows and it’s pretty obvious that MCAT performance has little do with success in med school. How do you explain that ?

Someone come up with compelling evidence to indicate otherwise that it is a good correlative measure for student success in med school or I rest my case. Med schools need to re-evaluate their admissions process.

Do MCAT scores predict USMLE scores? An analysis on 5 years of medical student data

“Each of the MCAT component scores was significantly associated with USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 CK scores...”

The article goes on to say...

“These results indicate that MCAT scores are predictive of student performance on the USMLE exams, but, given the small effect sizes, should be considered as part of the holistic view of the student”...

Is MCAT 100% indicative of your board score? NO, neither is SAT indicative of your GRE scores.

And as burritobowl60 was asking, where is the MCAT score an indicator of HOW WELL YOULL DO IN MEDICAL SCHOOL...sorry NetterFan but your comprehension of what he was asking is fallible.

Wow...that blew up real quick. My intention was not to offend and if I did I apologize. No more MCAT talk.

Simmer down and have a mature discussion here

I’ll stop sorry I won’t ask again

Members don't see this ad :)
As for NetterFan I have every right to ask whatever I so desire on this thread as do you. I think it is relevant to this discussion. And I think your comprehension skills are questionable given the fact that you didn’t include the whole sentence and just assumed that there is a correlation.

Reactions: 1 users
Please keep the discussion on topic and please be civil in your interactions with other members.

Thank you.

Reactions: 6 users
My application page for the PA campus is now telling me I have until May 25th to pay a $250 required tuition deposit. Is this indicative of an acceptance or do they put this for everyone who has completely submitted their application? I haven't gotten any update emails

Thanks

This seems like good news. Not to be preemptive, but my application page changed to a tuition deposit prompt about a day after I received a snail mail acceptance.
Awesome to hear. I emailed admissions and was told they "mailed my letter on Friday" so I think I got a spot. I appreciate the response

Just got my acceptance! :) Can't wait to meet everyone!

For those accepted, how much is the deposit and how long do you have to pay it post-acceptance?

For those accepted, how much is the deposit and how long do you have to pay it post-acceptance?

$250 non-refundable deposit. It must be paid by May 2, 2018 and it takes 24 hours to process :).

So I just checked my application (GA) and it tells me that I have to pay the $250 deposit by 5/2. But I have not gotten anything in mail yet...

So I just checked my application (GA) and it tells me that I have to pay the $250 deposit by 5/2. But I have not gotten anything in mail yet...

Your likely accepted. You can call admissions to confirm but 99.9% sure your in. Work hard once you get here!

I’d like to add that you must work hard in this program. God forbid if you don’t then you’ve essentially destroyed your chances at matriculating into a domestic medical school. It’s a gamble worth taking if you work hard and study the right way. You know yourself better than you think so please don’t expect to just breeze through this program. Maintaining a GPA of at least a 3.3 is what PCOM deems competitive. If you find yourself struggling the first semester you should either reevaluate your study habits or drop out. The classes progressively get harder as you go with Embryology benign the hardest class I took in the two years that I’ve been here as a biomedical student. Good luck do your best future matriculants!

Hi all,

I got accepted in PCOM GA as well! I'm looking for a female roommate as I will be getting a 2 bedroom apartment :) please inbox me if interested!

Hey everybody,
Just created this account so I could post on this thread. I applied kind of late to GA-PCOM MS program and my application has been marked complete since 3 weeks ago but I haven't gotten a response yet. I know they have stated on their website that they don't respond to email or phone calls regarding application status but I am really tempted to try. Is it too late to hope for a response? Are all the seats filled?

Hey everybody,
Just created this account so I could post on this thread. I applied kind of late to GA-PCOM MS program and my application has been marked complete since 3 weeks ago but I haven't gotten a response yet. I know they have stated on their website that they don't respond to email or phone calls regarding application status but I am really tempted to try. Is it too late to hope for a response? Are all the seats filled?
Give them a call

Does anyone know about deffered admission into PCOM biomed program, I applied to enter this fall 2018 but I won’t be graduting this summer anymore due to prereq blunder.

Thanks

Got my acceptance today. Excited about attending this program. I am however skeptical about reviews I read from previous pcom students. Can any current students give more insight into the program.

Got my acceptance today. Excited about attending this program. I am however skeptical about reviews I read from previous pcom students. Can any current students give more insight into the program.
Everything you’ve read are people’s personal perspectives (mine included). Students and administrators agree that the program could be better (ie MCAT prep). But it’s a sufficient program in that students do get into medical school. The ones that do had good stats to begin with while others (like myself) used the program to there advantage and improved. By December of last we’re 7 of 80 students in my class had an acceptance to another school (DO Only).

3 students as of today has been accepted to PCOM-GA but all have opted to go to the Philadelphia campus. 2 orthers will be attending PCOM-GA.

So 11 total accepted to a medical school the rest are graduating,dropped the program, retaking courses, reapplying, retaking the MCAT. The school does not publish program statistics because outcomes are abisimal.

Do your best, stay above a 3.0 (3.3 is great) and self study for your MCAT if retaking it. Get help with course work early.

Everything you’ve read are people’s personal perspectives (mine included). Students and administrators agree that the program could be better (ie MCAT prep). But it’s a sufficient program in that students do get into medical school. The ones that do had good stats to begin with while others (like myself) used the program to there advantage and improved. By December of last we’re 7 of 80 students in my class had an acceptance to another school (DO Only).

3 students as of today has been accepted to PCOM-GA but all have opted to go to the Philadelphia campus. 2 orthers will be attending PCOM-GA.

So 11 total accepted to a medical school the rest are graduating,dropped the program, retaking courses, reapplying, retaking the MCAT. The school does not publish program statistics because outcomes are abisimal.

Do your best, stay above a 3.0 (3.3 is great) and self study for your MCAT if retaking it. Get help with course work early.

So when you say that the outcomes are "abysmal" are you saying more than 50% of students, roughly, dont receive acceptance to med school? Btw I just got accepted to GA-PCOM biomed and very excited. Even in the worst case scenario I am leaving with a Masters, you know?

More like 80% or so of the students enrolled in the BMS program at GA PCOM do not matriculate into the school’s DO program. Not to say that they don’t get accepted anywhere else but the many end up failing out or dropping and some might have been accepted to other professional programs. Our class last year had 79-80 students in the first year. The second year however had less than 35 students that qualified for graduation this year. I would refrain from attending the program if your MCAT is the only part of the application that needs improvement. As for your GPA then yes attending this program will definitely make you more competitive if you do well (3.3 and up). If you put in the work you get the results, plain and simple.

So when you say that the outcomes are "abysmal" are you saying more than 50% of students, roughly, dont receive acceptance to med school? Btw I just got accepted to GA-PCOM biomed and very excited. Even in the worst case scenario I am leaving with a Masters, you know?

Yes I’m saying

I’m saying chances are slim for matriculate to PCOMs DO program, but if you work harder then you’ve ever worked before and have a decent MCAT (this is key) you’ll be in the small percentage.

Remember, applying to medical school and getting accepted is difficult already so don’t mess up your second chance.

Hey all! I couldn't find a facebook page for the PA campus students, maybe we should start one to get to know one another? Also, what is everyone doing about housing?

I will also be attending the PA program in the fall. I have not seen a Facebook page but I agree someone should start the page that way better communication can occur, especially in regards to those still figuring out housing.

Accepted to the Philly program, can’t wait!

Facebook group is up!

Attachments

• 6067C687-3B23-41E9-B56A-048F5184694A.png
    6067C687-3B23-41E9-B56A-048F5184694A.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 96
Hey guys, I was a little late submitting my application to the GA campus due to my gre test date. How long after you submitted all materials did a decision time take? I’m so anxious

Hey guys, I was a little late submitting my application to the GA campus due to my gre test date. How long after you submitted all materials did a decision time take? I’m so anxious
just over 2 weeks

Hey all! So i just wanted some clarification especially for those that have completed the biomedical sciences program..
I will be attending this program in Fall 2018.
I plan to take the MCAT next summer after first year. Do I still apply May 2019 for PCOM's DO program so I start in 2020 (hypothetically) or do I have to wait till after I take my MCAT?

Hey Y'all just applied a week ago to PA Campus;
cum - 3.07 sgpa - 2.76, with an upward trend
100~ volunteering/ 60 shadowing/ 150 ED scribe/ ROTC/ Publication In Review/2k+ Research Hours/5 LOR's 3 Science 1 Military 1 Pi
****ty GRE 50th percentile and (placeholder) taking my MCAT soon this summer.

How does it sound?

Hey all! So i just wanted some clarification especially for those that have completed the biomedical sciences program..
I will be attending this program in Fall 2018.
I plan to take the MCAT next summer after first year. Do I still apply May 2019 for PCOM's DO program so I start in 2020 (hypothetically) or do I have to wait till after I take my MCAT?
You can apply in May 2019, but just indicate in the test scores section of the application that you are scheduled to take your MCAT and the date.

To any past or current MBS students, how much did you spend on books or supplies for your first year?

To any past or current MBS students, how much did you spend on books or supplies for your first year?
Not much, all the books are available to you on the PCOM library ebook collection. I only ended up buying textbooks for 2 classes because I preferred a hard copy.

Not much, all the books are available to you on the PCOM library ebook collection. I only ended up buying textbooks for 2 classes because I preferred a hard copy.

Do I need to buy a stethoscope or any equipment like that?

Do I need to buy a stethoscope or any equipment like that?
Haha not in my program. I'm not sure if they're still using clicker devices to answer questions in class. But they'll tell you if it's necessary once classes start (it's available at the pcom bookstore).

I've been accepted to PCOM MSBS, VCOM/Bluefield MABS, and Barry University's MSBS. After reading the comments on the entirety of this thread it has brought some light to the PCOM program. I was wondering if anyone had any other input/opinions on which program would be the best. Obviously no matter where I go I need to work hard, but just wondering if anyone has any other advice or things they've heard from other students before I make a decision on where to go in a few days.

MCAT: 494
undergrad GPA: 3.37
Medical Scribe for 2 years

VCOM: I meet the benchmark MCAT score, so as long as I keep a 3.6 in the Fall and a 3.4 in the Spring I am automatically admitted to their medical class. But, if I am unable to attain that GPA, this school doesn't offer MCAT prep so that might hurt my chances of getting in to another DO school after completing their program if I don't earn that automatic addmittance. They also offer an MA instead of an MS which I'm not sure the exact difference that would mean for my future. 9 month/1 year program.

PCOM: Kaplan MCAT prep listed on their website, which I did self paced last year which didn't seem to work for me, but a lot of negative student reviews in threads and the conditional acceptance sounds extremely difficult from those comments as well. 1-2 year program.

Barry: 70% of their MSBS students in the last two years were accepted to MD/DO schools, 18 month track for the Masters. No MCAT prep offered but what I read on a separate thread is students felt prepared to take it again, not sure that would work for me but... also No conditional or automatic acceptance to any medical schools.

I've really done a lot of research on these programs but I just can't seem to make a decision so any feedback would be great.

If there is a better place to post this please give me the link!

Thanks so much!

I've been accepted to PCOM MSBS, VCOM/Bluefield MABS, and Barry University's MSBS. After reading the comments on the entirety of this thread it has brought some light to the PCOM program. I was wondering if anyone had any other input/opinions on which program would be the best. Obviously no matter where I go I need to work hard, but just wondering if anyone has any other advice or things they've heard from other students before I make a decision on where to go in a few days.

MCAT: 494
undergrad GPA: 3.37
Medical Scribe for 2 years

VCOM: I meet the benchmark MCAT score, so as long as I keep a 3.6 in the Fall and a 3.4 in the Spring I am automatically admitted to their medical class. But, if I am unable to attain that GPA, this school doesn't offer MCAT prep so that might hurt my chances of getting in to another DO school after completing their program if I don't earn that automatic addmittance. They also offer an MA instead of an MS which I'm not sure the exact difference that would mean for my future. 9 month/1 year program.

PCOM: Kaplan MCAT prep listed on their website, which I did self paced last year which didn't seem to work for me, but a lot of negative student reviews in threads and the conditional acceptance sounds extremely difficult from those comments as well. 1-2 year program.

Barry: 70% of their MSBS students in the last two years were accepted to MD/DO schools, 18 month track for the Masters. No MCAT prep offered but what I read on a separate thread is students felt prepared to take it again, not sure that would work for me but... also No conditional or automatic acceptance to any medical schools.

I've really done a lot of research on these programs but I just can't seem to make a decision so any feedback would be great.

If there is a better place to post this please give me the link!

Thanks so much!
There seems to be a stigma with where you do your SMP MD vs DO, so keep that in mind. I believe Barry is an MD.

I’d take VCOM. Since getting a 3.6 guarantees an acceptance. PCOM just started the Kaplan prep but the school doesn’t offer it you just receive a discount if you choose to use them on your own the course costs $1800.

Also, pick based on where you’d like to go to medical school since being there you’ll get to meet and greet admissions and make an impression.

Any suggestions on apartments near PCOM Philly? I don't have a car, and I'm having a hard time finding a place.

If any Female is looking for a place to stay (PCOM-GA) let me know. I’m moving for medical school and I live in a town home with 2 other Biomedical Science students 5 minuets from school.

Separate bathroom, garage and private study room with very affordable rent.