PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, you can do well in the program, I meant, comparing it to the rigor and courses offered to my home program at TCOM, its incredibly doable. There is not a lot of science courses. Out of the first year foundational courses, you have Biochem, Embryology, HOS (new course and its new and unorganized, which should be better when you guys take it), and neuroscience. That's it. We have 29 credits, and I'm not sure if the rest of the courses count for science gpa.

The first semester you have one science course, biochem, and you have 2 research projects. One with a group, and one with another partner. You will get 2 papers and go over them the entire semester and are tested on them each exam. There are 3 "busy work" courses. And what I meant by that is, you have one class where you do all these group projects, and nothing is organized or graded, it takes a significant amount of time, and you spend so much time doing them, you make videos and and essentially we all end up with the same grade no matter the level of participation. One class is attendance based, people come and present their research projects to you, and at the end you take a quiz, that course runs for a year, it's an easy A if you show up and do the quizzes. And another is like a grammar etiquette course coupled with reading research literature and you're graded on how you interpret the papers and figures. One assignment we were given a chapter out of one of our textbooks. We had to go through each sentence line by line and identify subject verb agreement, past participles, nouns, pronouns, adjectives etc. It took so much time, and we didn't get our grade until the end of term. You also have to write abstracts on articles based on scientific figures etc. At the end of the term you are given a paper and you have to read it and present on it. So essentially it helpful for the new mcat because you would have read so many articles that it becomes easier to pick out. In embryo, its the same teacher who makes us do the english work, and you have to read articles for her exams as well.

Members don't see this ad.

@prettyNURSEtoMD

How many hours a week do you spend studying and how many hours did you work as a Nurse during the program?
You said you are going to take the full 2 year route. Is there a specific reason you prefer that route and are you going to take the non-thesis or thesis route?

First term, I worked PT weekends the first month, and then I quit my job because I was struggling in biochem, and I thought it was due to work and it wasn't, and just did school full time, studied about 40 hours a week. I struggled in biochem like I said, and it took me a while to figure out why, and it wasn't due to work. This term, I work full time, and I try to study every day. I can't say I study 40 hours a week anymore, but I honestly don't know. I do study more roughly 2-3 days before the exam. My grades went up TREMENDOUSLY, because I felt I was more pressed for time, so I had to incorporate studying into my plan, and I was a lot more stressed when I didn't work. I have a plan and structure and it works for me. I'm VERY non-trad, so I have to work (kid, mortgage, car note etc). My friend doesn't work and she studies i know 40-50 hours a week. You have to do what works for you. And working, and staying on top of my bills, and doing school all on my plate works for me.

I'm doing 2 years because I'm not applying to enter medical school in 2016, so why not. There are people in my class only doing 1 year and going back home. I gave up a lot to be here, so I want something tangible to show for it. I'm doing Forensics, so I have to travel to Philly once a month. Well, let me rephrase, I hope to be doing forensics, all the tracks thesis, non-thesis, ODL and forensics all have interviews and you find out if you've been accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't like busy work courses ( group projects, videos and papers) lol. Thank you prettyNURSEtoMD for all the valuable info you have provided. This program sounds like its totally doable especially if one is not working.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I can't say there is a difference in my grades compared to the people who don't work. But I've done school and work FT for years, and most people haven't. Are there people doing better than me in the program absolutely, are there people doing worse than me, most definitely. So, take that into consideration as well. If you don't have to work, don't. If you have to, do it, but make a plan

Yes, in the first term, one specific course is NOTHING BUT group work, and videos, and arts and craft poster boards. Ugh...

Lol yeah same here. Call me crazy but I rather study Biochem or physiology than do group work but I guess I have to do whatever it takes to have a better shot at a med school acceptance. I'm taking the MCAT in June and I'm hoping for a 28 or 29 equivalent at the very least. Do you think that's good enough for a DO school? Should I aim higher? I feel like no matter how much one studies, you can't pass a certain threshold in your test taking abilities or intelligence needed to master it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Wow...major props (you work full time, a parent, pay bills and study +40 hrs) I really need to step up in terms of responsibility. If you don't mind me asking, why the forensics route and when will you apply to medical school ( a couple of years after completing the masters)?
Will you apply to PCOM PA or GA in the future?

@burritobowl60

Are you also going to apply to PCOM's DO program at the same time as your postbac app so the school will have all your info?

Yeah I might apply to the program as soon as I get my scores back in July. It might be a little late to submit my application though since the applications open earlier. I heard its best to apply as soon as it opens.

I might apply broadly to a few others as well but PCOM is one of my top choices.

@burritobowl60

How long has it been since you have last seen the perquisites and how are you preparing for the MCAT (prep course or self study)?

I just graduated last semester. Honestly it's been more than 2 years since I've taken physics or general chemistry series courses but I have taken a lot of upper level biology courses like immunology and physiology but I'm not sure how that will help much besides being familiar with technical terms and definitions that are often written in passages on the MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I'm applying this upcoming cycle. I'm actually making a list of medical schools as we speak. I'm struggling with a DO list honestly. Yes, I'm applying to PCOM GA because they like to interview their students if you maintain a certain GPA. I'm retaking MCAT in July.

I chose forensics because it's interesting to me, I like the curriculum and I don't want to be on campus. LOL. I don't care enough about research. Let me rephrase, I care about research, I just do not have the discipline or accountability to go into the lab and work on this thesis, plus I hear it's hard to get an advisor, it's literally first come first serve, and PCOM GA is unorganized. Plus, I don't want to do benchwork research, I want clinical, like we conduct in the hospitals. If I don't get accepted into forensics, I'll do non-thesis.

The biomed program is on rolling admissions, as is the DO program. Like I've mentioned before, my friend applied in late July and found out a week later. I applied in January, and was complete in March, and didn't get a decision until June 1. So I mean, I don't essentially know how they choose. Some people in my program were WL for this program. I wasn't, I just got a later decision.

For me, I plan to self study with another classmate. He took it and got a decent score, but he's really banking on one school, so I will pay him to tutor and review with me. I would totally be happy with his initial score. I took MCAT twice. 10/14, and then 12/14. Both scores were incredibly low. I underestimated it, and thought it would just be a test I could "wing". I was incredibly wrong. I took it again in December because I did't want to take the new MCAT, but honestly being an RN, and having seen some of the topics and format, I honestly think it behooves me to take this one. I wish I would have known and trusted my judgement, and not have taken the December test, but hey such is life.

Oh, I'm not sure if I will apply to PCOM Philly. I hate the cold, and I honestly don't want to go further north, but I've been advised to do so by one of the physicians I work with. I guess I will find out when I do forensics, if I get in. But honestly, I'm a TX resident, so if I get into any of those I'm GONE. Lol. I just don't like GA PCOM, the way they function. And people in my class could honestly agree, but one of my classmates has been accepted into the DO program out of the biomed program, and she loves it, and shes picking those over MD schools shes heard from. So to each their own, formulate their opinion. But if I get into GA PCOM only, of course I'll attend, if I was fortunate enough to have more than one option, I would choose another option.

@burritobowl60

How long has it been since you have last seen the perquisites and how are you preparing for the MCAT (prep course or self study)?
I will be self studying. I will supplement with AAMC khan academy and will use TBR for most of the subjects. I'll also be utilizing the Kaplan Biochemistry review book. I've heard it's a good review of the high yield concepts tested on the MCAT .

When applying, do they look at gpa with grade replacement??

Hey guys I just finished my second term at PCOM Philly last week. If anyone has any questions I am more than happy to answer them.

Still waiting on the decision. Maybe my stats aren't good enough

Still waiting on the decision. Maybe my stats aren't good enough

Don't be like I was and get discouraged before you get a decision. Your stats were pretty much the same as mine, except opposite GPA and MCAT. Your MCAT is pretty high for the program. My application was complete in October last year and it wasn't until February that I got a decision. They're unorganized like prettyNURSEtoMD said as I have to wait several weeks the rest of my admission packets even though I already sent the $500 deposit. Have you applied to other programs? I was going to apply to Mercer and their criteria is lower than PCOM. I personally would think you have a good chance at both.

I didn't hear about Mercers program . I had no idea it had less stringent requirements considering the medical school there is an allopathic medical school. I'll look into the school. I don't want to wait until much later and then find out that they have either rejected or waitlisted me for the program and having to wait another year to reapply. I have also applied to Rowan GSBS program as well.

In regards to the PCOM-PA application, they ask you "Please describe your scientific research experience or experience in the biosciences". Do they accept students without any experience in scientific research or in the biosciences?

The link below was a thread created by a student that had good numbers for medical school but he/she was led astray by his/her adviser. I am questioning the difficulty level of PCOM's SMP PA vs GA. Can any current students in either program thoroughly elaborate on this because someone with his/her credentials should have excelled or at least pulled a 3.0 (unless he/she was partying/goofing off and not studying every single day). I have already applied to PCOM GA's SMP but I am strongly leaning towards retakes/going the longer route cause if a person blows their last effort in an SMP (especially at a reputable medical school) then it's truly over. Even if I know I am fully capable of doing well, the risks are astronomically high in my opinion.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/smp-did-more-harm-than-good-need-advice.1141618/

Question for those already in the program(not about to start). Is it worthwhile to join the Facebook group? Aise Cannon has sent me invites, but I'm reluctant to join because I deleted my account ages ago because I just hate Facebook and really don't want an account. But I should try to be social with the other students? I could just keep it while I'm in the program and delete it once I've finished?

In regards to the PCOM-PA application, they ask you "Please describe your scientific research experience or experience in the biosciences". Do they accept students without any experience in scientific research or in the biosciences?
I don't have a single ounce of research

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Question for those already in the program(not about to start). Is it worthwhile to join the Facebook group? Aise Cannon has sent me invites, but I'm reluctant to join because I deleted my account ages ago because I just hate Facebook and really don't want an account. But I should try to be social with the other students? I could just keep it while I'm in the program and delete it once I've finished?
People in my class seem to post study links, or sometimes people from PCOM post job opportunities or research opportunities. I don't have a Facebook either. Our class uses groupme. We are all in it, well 80% are in it and this is how we communicate with our class chairs who talk to professors, post updates, it's specific for our class. If you don't have FB it's not going to kill you. They really post nothing of importance, and if it's something you really need to know they'll send it to your PCOM email. Aise just sends this so we can become acquainted with our classmates and find roommates etc

The link below was a thread created by a student that had good numbers for medical school but he/she was led astray by his/her adviser. I am questioning the difficulty level of PCOM's SMP PA vs GA. Can any current students in either program thoroughly elaborate on this because someone with his/her credentials should have excelled or at least pulled a 3.0 (unless he/she was partying/goofing off and not studying every single day). I have already applied to PCOM GA's SMP but I am strongly leaning towards retakes/going the longer route cause if a person blows their last effort in an SMP (especially at a reputable medical school) then it's truly over. Even if I know I am fully capable of doing well, the risks are astronomically high in my opinion.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/smp-did-more-harm-than-good-need-advice.1141618/
If I could do over, I wouldn't do this program. PM me for specifics

People in my class seem to post study links, or sometimes people from PCOM post job opportunities or research opportunities. I don't have a Facebook either. Our class uses groupme. We are all in it, well 80% are in it and this is how we communicate with our class chairs who talk to professors, post updates, it's specific for our class. If you don't have FB it's not going to kill you. They really post nothing of importance, and if it's something you really need to know they'll send it to your PCOM email. Aise just sends this so we can become acquainted with our classmates and find roommates etc

Ok thanks.

So I just called PCOM today and the admissions staff has told me that my application is fully completed. Now all I have to do is wait and keep my fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone else in this application cycle for the Biomedical Sciences program!

For the classes you've already taken do you think its necessary to buy the textbooks? By necessary I mean that do you think its possible to make all A's without the textbooks? Thanks.
Its best to wait on the textbooks, you don't need to buy the textbook to make great grades.

Last edited:
So I just called PCOM today and the admissions staff has told me that my application is fully completed. Now all I have to do is wait and keep my fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone else in this application cycle for the Biomedical Sciences program!

Sincerely good luck, I hope you get in.

I think if you know how you learn, you'll be able to decipher if you need books or not. I know I need them. Some done. In neuroscience I'm finding more people are buying the book. So it just depends. I bought the book for every class and I don't regret it. But like I said its on the google drive and we will pass that on to you when you come like it was for us. (Georgia campus of course)

I understand completely. There was a half price books at home so I got mine all for low like $20. I don't believe Georgia has one yet. But I did find some at the local Goodwill. But like I said the library has all the current ones on reserve for your class, you can check out for 3 hours x2. After 830p, you can't take them home and return at 0900. Plus we have the google drive with every single book for our class. Don't worry you will have the resources you need.

hey guys, does anyone know if it's possible to transfer letters of rec and mcat scores to our application file for this program if we also applied to the DO program as well?

hey guys, does anyone know if it's possible to transfer letters of rec and mcat scores to our application file for this program if we also applied to the DO program as well?

Yeah just email admissions and they'll do it

I was thinking of applying to this program after a year of grade replacement, but I don't want anymore loans. So I'm going to take the cheaper route ( currently doing a DIY post-bac at 4 yr college). PCOM-GA is at the top of my list because I live so close to the school.

I wish everyone a successful year regardless of what path you take

Heyyy! I'm just curious. Does PCOM look at the gpa on your transcript or the gpa that AACOMAS calculates after replacing any retakes??

Hey Everybody!
Just marked complete a week ago at PCOM-PA . I'm curious of what you think my chances are, my stats are 30 on old MCAT, ~3.4 GPA with similar sGPA, 1 yr research assistant experience, ~100hrs hospital volunteering, no shadowing (hoping to pick this up during the program). This program is my top choice for gap year work as I'd love to attend PCOM-PA for DO school and plan on applying this coming cycle. How long has the turn-around been for those who've been accepted, I know it'll take a little while but I can't help but feeling anxious.
Thanks and good luck to everybody waiting to hear back like me!

Hey Everybody!
Just marked complete a week ago at PCOM-PA . I'm curious of what you think my chances are, my stats are 30 on old MCAT, ~3.4 GPA with similar sGPA, 1 yr research assistant experience, ~100hrs hospital volunteering, no shadowing (hoping to pick this up during the program). This program is my top choice for gap year work as I'd love to attend PCOM-PA for DO school and plan on applying this coming cycle. How long has the turn-around been for those who've been accepted, I know it'll take a little while but I can't help but feeling anxious.
Thanks and good luck to everybody waiting to hear back like me!
I think you have a really good chance at being accepted into the PCOM biomedical sciences program. Your stats are well above the average and your MCAT score is above average for some DO schools as well. You might have a shot at some MD schools if you increase your overall GPA and get in more ECs.

does anyone know how long it takes after you submit the app online that you get an email from admissions regarding receipt of the app and any outstanding materials? how do i pay the $75 app fee?

does anyone know how long it takes after you submit the app online that you get an email from admissions regarding receipt of the app and any outstanding materials? how do i pay the $75 app fee?

You get an email after they have received everything (the application fee, letters of rec, etc.). You have to login and see what they have received and what they have not. From what I remember they did not email for any outstanding materials. The only email I received was when my application was complete. I mailed a check.

@lia 15
Please could you give a full account on your experiences (pros, cons, difficulties) in this SMP?

@lia 15
Please could you give a full account on your experiences (pros, cons, difficulties) in this SMP?
Of course! First term was the hardest for me with MBM and IP. MBM is a 7 credit course with Genetics and Biochem combined and I found it rather challenging. I know most of my classmates did as well. It is just tons of information and pathways to know. Also I have never enjoyed Genetics or Biochem in undergrad. That being said if you know the pathways in and out and study the handouts daily, you should be fine. IP is Immuno and Micro combined (3 credits). I found this class much easier than MBM but do not underestimate it, you still have to keep on top of everything. Overall the first term was the hardest. Second term is Anatomy and Histology. All the anatomy written exams are manageable, it's just tons and tons of brute memorization. The anatomy practicals are not bad as long as you spend a significant amount of time in cadaver lab outside of class (at least that is what worked for me). Histology written exams are doable. However histology practicals are not fun and you definitely have to spend a lot of time looking at atlases. I can't say much about the spring term yet because we are only two weeks in. Overall I think I underestimated this program and it is tougher than what I expected. The pros are it prepares you for med school since it is taught by the same profs that teach the DO classes and they teach a majority of what they teach the DO's minus the clinical stuff, they focus less on that. I can't really think of any cons except that you really have to put effort and hard work into studying but that comes with being a grad school student. If you have any other questions feel free to ask away.

@lia 15
Also wanted to mention that the DO's and second year Biomeds are super helpful especially when it came to Anatomy. You could almost always find help if you needed it when you go up to cadaver lab. They also provided helpful study guides and stuff for our classes.

Of course! First term was the hardest for me with MBM and IP. MBM is a 7 credit course with Genetics and Biochem combined and I found it rather challenging. I know most of my classmates did as well. It is just tons of information and pathways to know. Also I have never enjoyed Genetics or Biochem in undergrad. That being said if you know the pathways in and out and study the handouts daily, you should be fine. IP is Immuno and Micro combined (3 credits). I found this class much easier than MBM but do not underestimate it, you still have to keep on top of everything. Overall the first term was the hardest. Second term is Anatomy and Histology. All the anatomy written exams are manageable, it's just tons and tons of brute memorization. The anatomy practicals are not bad as long as you spend a significant amount of time in cadaver lab outside of class (at least that is what worked for me). Histology written exams are doable. However histology practicals are not fun and you definitely have to spend a lot of time looking at atlases. I can't say much about the spring term yet because we are only two weeks in. Overall I think I underestimated this program and it is tougher than what I expected. The pros are it prepares you for med school since it is taught by the same profs that teach the DO classes and they teach a majority of what they teach the DO's minus the clinical stuff, they focus less on that. I can't really think of any cons except that you really have to put effort and hard work into studying but that comes with being a grad school student. If you have any other questions feel free to ask away.

With the amount of studying required to do well in the program, how much additional "free time" do you usually have to do other things like clinical experience and studying for the MCAT(if you need to take it)?

Hi everyone!
I submitted in my application on 3/10 for the Philly campus and am just waiting for then to receive my LOR and undergrad transcript. Hopefully, that will happen within the next two weeks.

What is the turn around time to hear whether you've been accepted or rejected after your application is marked complete?

With the amount of studying required to do well in the program, how much additional "free time" do you usually have to do other things like clinical experience and studying for the MCAT(if you need to take it)?
I work about 12-16 hours a week so that takes up my "free time". I actually do need to retake my MCAT and I am finding it hard to handle school and MCAT both right now and it's only two weeks into the term. I have had previous biomeds tell me that from what they have seen the people that study for MCAT during the spring term usually end up not doing well either on the MCAT and/or school. If I were to redo this program I would make sure I am not working, but that's just me. Some of my classmates work part time or full time. It's all just time management and what works for you.