PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how many PA got into the program
This year about ~7 first years and I believe less than 20 second years (there are a lot more than 20 second years enrolled in the program). Basically everyone that had a 3.0 got an interview as promised, but they keep getting put on non-specific holds or holds for grades even if they've been getting straight A's. I don't expect this number to increase by much, because rumor has it next year's DO class is already full.

Members don't see this ad.

This year about ~7 first years and I believe less than 20 second years (there are a lot more than 20 second years enrolled in the program). Basically everyone that had a 3.0 got an interview as promised, but they keep getting put on non-specific holds or holds for grades even if they've been getting straight A's. I don't expect this number to increase by much, because rumor has it next year's DO class is already full.
i actually meant physician assistant since i know they have a program there

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got accepted to both campuses (PA and GA), do you guys have any input on which you would go with? I'll be moving either way from FL so location isn't a big deciding factor. I was thinking PA since it's their main campus and probably has more resources to take advantage of?

I received my acceptance to the PA campus in the mail! This forum has been incredibly helpful. The school seems to have its fast and slow moments during the application process (which is fair since they have to most likely worry about graduation and the upcoming DO application cycle). Stay hopeful, guys! :)

Reactions: 1 users
turned down the acceptance for another post bacc..good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Do we have to pay the 75 dollars for them to review our applicatuon?

Do we have to pay the 75 dollars for them to review our applicatuon?
I'm pretty sure you do because otherwise you're still incomplete. I'll be withdrawing my acceptance from the PCOM-PA's Bio-Med program, hope it goes to you or anyone on the waiting list for it.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you do because otherwise you're still incomplete. I'll be withdrawing my acceptance from the PCOM-PA's Bio-Med program, hope it goes to you or anyone on the waiting list for it.

I feel like PCOM just wants my money!

Is there another program you'll be doing?

Hey guys. I'm a first year biomed from the Philly campus. A lot of people have been chiming in from Georgia, so I thought I would add. Basically I would recommend doing another post-bacc. If you wanted to use this as a GPA booster don't do it. A lot of us came from big undergrad universities where we did well and now we have less than a 3.5 cum in this program with most people closer to a 3 and a considerable amount of people with less than a 3. As for how many people from Philly got in, last year 5 first years got in and this year so far ~7 first years got in. There are also an abundance of 2nd years right now who have not gotten in and are on a general hold, because the class is already full. Also I've noticed that the people who have been getting in this year really did not need this program (they had good undergrad stats). The classes are difficult and the cut off for an A is a 95. Also like the person from Georgia said, the second year is just a money grab. You basically do nothing biomedical sciences related, except perhaps research, while paying full-time tuition.

Just wanted to give another perspective on the Philly program since BM5000 didn't seem to like it much. While I agree a lot of people aren't doing well, I don't think thats a symptom of a bad program but more about an underperforming class. I know plenty of people who've maintained >3.6 GPAs (including myself) and while the classes may be difficult its all what you make them. This isn't a program where you can come in and start studying the day before the exams and do well, which is what a lot of people seemed to think it would be. Sure not many people have gotten in from this years class (think we're up to about 10-12 now w/ DO acceptances and a dental student), but its hard to judge since you don't know peoples experiences or previous GPAs from undergrad that are the main part of their applications since they were in before the first year completed. The second year is also what you make it, you can complete a year of research, get published, go to conferences and present all while getting a Master's Degree (doesn't seem like a money grab to me) or you can complete more coursework in forensics, or neuro or Public health with the opportunity to participate in internships or retake first year courses if you didn't do as well as you hoped too. The professors are approachable and helpful (with the exception of 1 that i've talked to) and the admissions staff and second year students have been quite helpful as well.

So my TLDR is that this program can be great if you're willing to put in the work but if you're expecting to come here and get a 4.0 while partying all the time and only studying the day before exams than its not going to be a good time for you. Talk with professors if you need help and stay on top of the content and you should do well, remember if this is too hard for you than medical school will be not be a good time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hello everyone,

I'm new here on SDN. I just received my acceptance to the Ga-PCOM Biomed program for this fall!! Im super excited to meet those of you who will be attending the program!

For those of you that are interested, I am actually a late applicant. I started my application at the end of April, everything was complete June 1st and I received my acceptance letter June 21st. The letter is actually dated June 15th, which is exactly 2 weeks from the date that my application was complete.

See you all in August:)

Just curious (I still haven't heard back anything), has anyone received any rejection letters so far? I'm wondering if rejections have been sent out yet. This waiting game is truly nerve wrecking.

Looking into apartments and houses in Philly! Any suggestions on housing? If you are looking for a roommate or in the same boat as me PM!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted 6/22/2017 to Philly campus.

Last edited:
I was accepted a couple of weeks ago to the Philly campus. Is there a Facebook group for the incoming class?

Hey guys, I'm interested in this program and wanted to know what you guys think my chance of getting into this program is. cGPA: 3.40, sGPA: 3.10, MCAT: 496 (I know on practice tests I had such a higher score, but my nerves were going crazy the day of the test).

Hey guys, I'm interested in this program and wanted to know what you guys think my chance of getting into this program is. cGPA: 3.40, sGPA: 3.10, MCAT: 496 (I know on practice tests I had such a higher score, but my nerves were going crazy the day of the test).

I think you should be good. 496....for a Biomed is pretty good. Now for DO I have heard they want a 498 and up; with 500 being ideal.

I have a friend (who is advising me) that is currently a second year DO at GA PCOM who went through both years at GA-PCOM's Biomedical Program and said the baseline seemed to be a 496 score. She knew of one person who got a 496 and made it into GA-PCOM' DO program from the Biomedical Program, but tentatively speaking 500 is the ideal score, though 498'ers and up had a good shot.

I think you should be good. 496....for a Biomed is pretty good. Now for DO I have heard they want a 498 and up; with 500 being ideal.

I have a friend (who is advising me) that is currently a second year DO at GA PCOM who went through both years at GA-PCOM's Biomedical Program and said the baseline seemed to be a 496 score. She knew of one person who got a 496 and made it into GA-PCOM' DO program from the Biomedical Program, but tentatively speaking 500 is the ideal score, though 498'ers and up had a good shot.

How is the first trimester going?

Hey guys, anyone applying to this MS Biomed program PA area this cycle?

Current stats of mine are a 3.5 and a 498 MCAT and I’m hearing that’s not enough to get in to the DO program. Honestly I’m just going to retake it and get a 508+ and higher. I’m not risking another waitlist or rejection. Also, I’ll be applying to other schools. Honestly this school is pretty disorganzed tbh. I’d rather go to a school that value scholastic achievement than to lump all of us together as incompetent med school rejects. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Current stats of mine are a 3.5 and a 498 MCAT and I’m hearing that’s not enough to get in to the DO program. Honestly I’m just going to retake it and get a 508+ and higher. I’m not risking another waitlist or rejection. Also, I’ll be applying to other schools. Honestly this school is pretty disorganzed tbh. I’d rather go to a school that value scholastic achievement than to lump all of us together as incompetent med school rejects. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I personally would suggest retaking the MCATs. It definitely helps loads the higher the score, but that goes without saying.

I know of a current M1, who was in our biomed program for the full two years, and was accepted into our PCOM DO program with a 498. Are you a current biomed student?

I’m a 2nd year biomed who was just accepted to the DO program yesterday. My GPA is around yours. It was 3.55 undergrad, around 3.3 grad, and was able to pull my MCATs up to 512.

Who is treating you as a med school reject? That’s really crappy... Career services is always super supportive, Dr. Bell isn’t really judgmental, and Ruth Conboy is always open-minded. I’m so sorry you’re feeling that... if you are a current biomed and feel you’re being looked down upon by whoever, you should report that faculty member.

Also, is it the biomed program that you feel is disorganized? I can’t speak on the DO one yet. As a current student, I’m a little confused because this experience seems unique compared to what my friends and I have felt, but that doesn’t invalidate what you’re feeling at all. If there’s anything I can do to help or any questions if you want feedback or tips for admissions, feel free to pm me.

Hope things get better! The application itself is a beast and that uncertainly associated w being a premed ain’t a joy. Good luck! Once you’re admitted somewhere, this is all gonna finally be over (and it’s gonna feel so good).

No, I have no decision period. Just saying my application in January. Had some issues with transcripts etc, got that all squared away, then got an email in March saying my application was now complete.

they email you when the application is complete

Hey guys, I unfortunately am going to have to co-sign this. My reasoning is not as directly related as theirs but I was accepted to the program for this incoming class and I had 3 friends who finished the program previously and one who was currently in the program now. For the two of the three that finished (one got into PCOM-GEORGIA DO program and one LSU Dental School) I was advised not do the program. One of them had a position in their class where they sat in on budget hearings for the Masters program and found out that in fact their goal is to get as many ppl accepted as possible to generate money and it is not their goal to get people in professional school. And the set up of the program makes you feel it. Among other things I've heard the grading styles are subjective and to get 4.0 you have to use politics and kiss up to professors. Which I personally felt like I need to go to a program where I can earn a 4.0 based off of merit. Not politics. The third of the three that finished said the same, there is kind of alot of bull you have to push pass to make it out.

The one in the program now has struggled and dropped classes, which is NOT what you want to happen. I hear there are alot of people who struggle to get 3.0 mark. And many drop out.

Now I will say this, I realize for some this may be your only chance at improvement to get into a medical/professional school. If this is the case, by all means do it and rock it! But if you have other options I would vote against this program beacuse the professors, except a select few don't really give a hoot about the program. But I will say for those doing it best of luck but try something better if you can. But if you make it out with decent grades you will be in good shape.

I say this with as much love as I can for my future colleagues in medicine/health professions. Set yourself up to succeed! We need more good people to become health professionals.

Lastly, I felt like if someone who made it through and got into the DO program was telling me don't do it, it would not be wise to not heed the advice.

(Side note, I declined my acceptance to the program , had a prior acceptance and will be looking for other programs as well)

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile
I can second everything that is said above. As a current biomed at the GA campus who will be attending another DO program in the fall I can attest that this program is all about making money for PCOM. They don't care about you. They want you to fail and never ever set foot into their DO program. I did fairly well in the first semester and was offered a guaranteed interview to both campuses but its a joke, its nothing but a hold on your application till you pay them tuition. Instead of telling me straight up that they want me to finish their useless program and earn a meaningless piece of paper("Certificate") to enter the DO program they are keeping me in limbo and putting me on "hold" for spring grades. LOL. I believe I have the credentials to enter a DO program based on my merits from Undergrad(4 other interviews and 2 other acceptances) but they refuse to evaluate you based on your undergrad credentials and only want you to finish 1 if not both the years of the meaningless masters program to enter the DO program. The masters program is unorganized and taught extremely poorly and a fair amount of the class has failed out(more ways for PCOM to make money). It is unreasonably hard for a biomed program and maintaining a 3.0 without dropping a few courses is next to impossible. There are many other significantly better programs out there at both MD and DO schools(i.e. LECOM, LMU) which actually care about thier students and want them to succeed. PCOM has enough qualified applicants each cycle that they do everything in their power to fail out the biomed students and keep them from getting in to their program. Going for this program is a huge risk. It will not boost your gpa for other med schools, you can FAIL out and it will set you back years in your medical school pursuit.

can anyone talk about their success with this program and their success with the conditional acceptance

I can second everything that is said above. As a current biomed at the GA campus who will be attending another DO program in the fall I can attest that this program is all about making money for PCOM. They don't care about you. They want you to fail and never ever set foot into their DO program. I did fairly well in the first semester and was offered a guaranteed interview to both campuses but its a joke, its nothing but a hold on your application till you pay them tuition. Instead of telling me straight up that they want me to finish their useless program and earn a meaningless piece of paper("Certificate") to enter the DO program they are keeping me in limbo and putting me on "hold" for spring grades. LOL. I believe I have the credentials to enter a DO program based on my merits from Undergrad(4 other interviews and 2 other acceptances) but they refuse to evaluate you based on your undergrad credentials and only want you to finish 1 if not both the years of the meaningless masters program to enter the DO program. The masters program is unorganized and taught extremely poorly and a fair amount of the class has failed out(more ways for PCOM to make money). It is unreasonably hard for a biomed program and maintaining a 3.0 without dropping a few courses is next to impossible. There are many other significantly better programs out there at both MD and DO schools(i.e. LECOM, LMU) which actually care about thier students and want them to succeed. PCOM has enough qualified applicants each cycle that they do everything in their power to fail out the biomed students and keep them from getting in to their program. Going for this program is a huge risk. It will not boost your gpa for other med schools, you can FAIL out and it will set you back years in your medical school pursuit.
commenting to see how you're doing so far in the program? have your feelings changed? thinking about applying..

Hey there! Anyone here who did the PCOM-MBS (Philadelphia campus) program with an aim to get into their DO Program? How was your experience? Did you get accepted into their DO program as they say on their website for "guaranteed admission?" If you don't mind, please do share your stats during the program /MCAT score. All help will be much appreciated!