PCOM Biomedical 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am about to start the PCOM-Philadelphia Biomed program in August and I am trying to plan out when to take my MCAT. Does anybody who has completed this program have any advice for when it is best to take your MCAT in the first year?

Members don't see this ad.

ex-biomed here.

Honestly i think the best time to take the MCAT is before the program starts. Its way too difficult to do well in your classes on top of studying for the MCAT.

ex-biomed here.

Honestly i think the best time to take the MCAT is before the program starts. Its way too difficult to do well in your classes on top of studying for the MCAT.

Batndz--How did you like the program? Do you have any advice? Did the program help you get into an MD or DO program?

Members don't see this ad :)
The program was tough but good.

I chose to apply to med school when i was ready, which for me meant already having the MCAT score that i wanted as well as having a full year of grades from the biomed program. I didnt want to have to scramble to get everything done at the last minute. My application to med school so far has been pretty stress free.

I'll let you know in a few months whether or not it helped me get into med school.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess PA-PCOM sent out the last of the wait list acceptances this week for the Biomed program. Congrats on those who got in! Unfortunetly, I'm still on the wait list, but I know a couple different people who have already committed to other programs. Let me know if anyone on here is declining their acceptance just so I can get an idea hah

Last edited:
I'm still on the waitlist too. Good luck all!

Last edited:
I sent in additional GRE scores on top of my MCAT scores, as well as another letter of rec. I emailed them and they said the absolute last day to hear back is orientation (Aug 16), people who didn't get seats will receive letters on that day.

I just got my waitlist letter today! Best of luck to everyone else who might have to scramble to make the move. I

I just got my waitlist letter today! Best of luck to everyone else who might have to scramble to make the move. I
Good luck as well! There is still about two weeks before the orientation so maybe we will hear good news. If they put you on the wait list, maybe they still expect some people to be taken off it. Keep me posted!

Has anyone been taken off the Wait List for the philly program?

Admissions informed me that the Philly biomed class is currently full. The last day to hear back is Monday, August 20 which is the start of classes! Good luck to those who would consider making a last minute move to Philly. Maybe they might favor PA residents??

Thanks for the info. Did they say some people might not have fully accepted? By now, I would have figured people would have gotten a letter. I wonder if they expect some people to not show? Hopefully there will be some open seats for us!

Members don't see this ad :)
They did not give me any detail as to who may or may not of fully accepted. I guess full acceptance would mean submitting a deposit? The website states that all new full-time students are pre-registered, and according to the class registration # for the class Molecular Basis of Medicine, they are -3 people over capacity.

Has anybody been accepted off the Wait List? I know this has been asked several times before, but I have not read of one recent case. Also, if they are still putting people on the Wait List as of August 3, why would you put people on it if you are taking people off it?

I agree they must not expect people to show. I suspect in years past many people who were initially accepted, and subsequently confirmed the acceptance, later declined and failed to inform PCOM. Just my two cents.

well orientation is tomorrow, and its mandatory for accepted students to attend. I'm guessing they'll see how many seats open up by the actual amount of people that show up.

well orientation is tomorrow, and its mandatory for accepted students to attend. I'm guessing they'll see how many seats open up by the actual amount of people that show up.
I agree!

Does anyone know if orientation is in the morning or the afternoon? And did they say how they'll notify waitlisted students? This waiting is driving me crazy!!!

Does anyone know if orientation is in the morning or the afternoon? And did they say how they'll notify waitlisted students? This waiting is driving me crazy!!!
I don't what time of day orientation is occurring. I think they might send letters via US mail which I think would take more time time than just a simple email or phone call. I am also slowly but surely losing my mind!

I wonder if today would be the last day to find out?

The admissions office keeps telling me that Monday morning is the latest we'd hear back

The admissions office keeps telling me that Monday morning is the latest we'd hear back

That's odd; they told me TODAY is the latest. And I made sure. "Not Saturday or any later?" and her response was "No, Friday is the latest."

Me too. All this compulsive mailbox checking is not doing my internals any favors.

I was told Monday is the latest. Good Luck to everybody!

So I pestered the admissions office again just now. The woman said that there has been no movement on the waitlist yet so there are no updates. She said they're waiting to find out if anyone will withdraw and they don't have that info yet.

That's odd; they told me TODAY is the latest. And I made sure. "Not Saturday or any later?" and her response was "No, Friday is the latest."

Nope. Called again today and they said we should know by Monday morning. As of now no changes. They will let us know by mail, email, or phone call.

Sorry for the double post here. Called today after not getting anything in the mail.

Me: "I didn't receive any letter in the mail today, will I get a response by today?"
Her: "You should receive a response either today or tomorrow."
Me: "Is that just through mail or will I get a phone call or email?"
Her: "I'm not certain but you will receive a response by the end of the week. And you will have something in writing."

What the hell. How did it switch from today to today-tomorrow to "by the end of the week".

UPDATE: So now the story is that all decisions have been finalized and letters should be in the mail by the end of the week.
2nd UPDATE: So it's Thursday and I've still received nothing. I don't live too far from Philly so this is kind of odd. They said "the end of this week/beginning of next week"

Last edited:
Anyone know when their classes actually start? I called but admissions didn't know when the biomed program was starting. The DO program started this week.

Thanks for the information!:thumbup:

I still haven't gotten anything from PCOM and if next week is already the 2nd week of classes, I'm guessing the waitlist spots did not open up.

In the same boat my man. They told me that they finalized all decisions last Monday(the first day of classes) and final letters were sent out this past Friday. I would be really annoyed if they're just taking longer to reply to rejected students and responded immediately to accepted ones.

Does anyone know the dress code for orientation at the ga campus?

digging up an old thread, but what is the deal with the personal statement? do we require an external statement or can we really just use the simple layout that they have on the application page?...