PCOM Biomedical 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys--- Do most people just get one bedroom apartments (because I've seen a lot of references to that) or is there a roommate finder type page?! Because I'm trying to have a roommate I'm too chicken to live alone haha so if there are any other girls looking just message me :)

Members don't see this ad.

In the housing tab of Nucleus there is information that people have posted about roomates. We also got an email of a facebook link showing people requesting roomates. If you have been accepted check your PCOM email.

Hey guys I received my acceptance letter this Tuesday and will most likely attend. I was wondering if any students that are already there could provide some advice on housing. I am from Miami and am not really familiar with the area. Where do students usually live? What are the cheapest places and when do the prices start to rise? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many apartments where students live in Suwanee and Lawrenceville it all depends on your preference budget etc. Prices goes up after June usually so try to solidify your lease as soon as you can. Most of these apartments are listed on the PCOM website

http://www.pcom.edu/General_Information/georgia/Georgia_Housing/Housing.html

Those are some of the most popular apartments where students live. I personally stay at Century Riverside, because it was the cheapest for the value and close to the school and everything I personally needed plus there is a small pcom discount plus they give you a free washer and dryer, which many apartments don't do. If you are willing to spend a little more 5375 sugarloaf parkway apartments and Overlook at Gwinnett are really nice! There are cheaper apartments further away from school but I was discouraged from living their because of a high rate of robberies etc. Look around and pick whatever apartment you find more comfortable for you! If you happen to move to Century Riverside use me as a referral and I'll give you half of whatever resident referral they give me which should help for books.

Hope this helps!

Just got accepted.

Is there a facebook group for Philly students?

edit found it....but there isnt a new group for this years class

Last edited:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got accepted GA-branch!!! Im soooo excited and grateful!!! Will anyone be attending the Meet and greet on the 16th? I'm not on FB so I probably won't be joining the group!!!! Hope to see you all soon! :)

are there any others still on the wait list? when do final decisions get released?

Anyone looking for a 1 bedroom apartment in Philly send me a PM. My apartment will be available August 15.

I was wondering the same thing. I received a letter today saying that I can either decline my application or be put on their wait list which is probably what I'm going to do. Does anyone know how quickly/often they pull people off the list because I'm about 7 hours away and I would need to find an apartment in time. Are there a number of people who get off the wait list before June. I had received a letter at the end of March saying my application is being delayed so I had sent in 2 more letters of rec, a letter of interest, summer plans, and my grades for the semester(with dean's list) so I was hoping with all of that, I would have a better chance. If anyone can help, that would be great and sorry for the long post! Just getting worried hah

Just got accepted to PCOM-GA :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,
Just got accepted into the GA campus program, very excited! Does anyone know what our class size is going to be?
Also for those current students, and if you've visited the area what suggestions do you have housing wise? I saw few posts referring to the a apartments listed on pcom website, and was curious to see where everyone was deciding to live. I'm moving up from Ft. Lauderdale, FL and pretty new to the area.
Thanks for answering my questions, and looking forward to seeing you all soon :)

Just got accepted.

Is there a facebook group for Philly students?

edit found it....but there isnt a new group for this years class
Were you on a waitlist? Is there anyone who was on the waitlist that got accepted recently? I don't know how many people are on it/how many usually get off the waitlist. I called today and they started taking people off the waitlist so good luck to the others waiting!

I was just accepted to the philly program and I'm currently looking for roommates. I'm looking to rent a place in the manayunk area. Send me a message if anyone is interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just accepted to the philly program and I'm currently looking for roommates. I'm looking to rent a place in the manayunk area. Send me a message if anyone is interested.
Did you get your acceptance through an email or snail mail?

Snail mail about 2 weeks after all my files were received by the admissions office.

I got mine through email shortly after my app was complete
Yeah I got my GA acceptance through email after like 3 days my file was complete. I'm still waiting for Philly; it's been about 3 weeks so I hope I hear something soon.

Yeah I got my GA acceptance through email after like 3 days my file was complete. I'm still waiting for Philly; it's been about 3 weeks so I hope I hear something soon.

Are you on the waitlist? I want to wait on philly too, but the deadline for GA coming's pretty close.

Are you on the waitlist? I want to wait on philly too, but the deadline for GA coming's pretty close.
I didn't hear anything from the Philly campus regarding my admission status yet (I'll give them a call tomorrow). I did call them about 2 weeks ago and they told me to send my deposit to GA, and that if I get accepted to the Philadelphia campus, they would transfer my deposit (so I don't have to pay twice).

I didn't hear anything from the Philly campus regarding my admission status yet (I'll give them a call tomorrow). I did call them about 2 weeks ago and they told me to send my deposit to GA, and that if I get accepted to the Philadelphia campus, they would transfer my deposit (so I don't have to pay twice).

Wow- that's awesome! I never thought to call them and ask about that. Nothing to worry about at this point then.

Hey,
I am in the biomed class for this upcoming year. Is anyone still looking for a roommate? I have found 2 townhouses that are 1/2 mile away from campus and would be ideal to share with a roommate. Both townhouses that I have found are 2 Bedroom/ 2 Bath.

PM me if interested.

- J

Just been accepted into the program (GA)!!! Will be attending. I am up for having a roommate and am a female! Let me know!!! Very excited:)

Does the PCOM GA program have a good linkage with PCOM-GA like how many get accepted usually and what are the requirements for matriculation into PCOM-GA?

Does the PCOM GA program have a good linkage with PCOM-GA like how many get accepted usually and what are the requirements for matriculation into PCOM-GA?

From what I've heard, you get an automatic interview if you have a 3.0 in the program (not sure about the mcat/test scores) but no guaranteed acceptance.

Any word on the PA-PCOM wait list? Ive called several times recently and one person said they started pulling people off the list and one person said they haven't yet. Any news helps!

Nope, and they got my deposit 2 weeks ago.. Any news from Philly?

Edit(7-2-2012) just received it today

Hey did you receive your information via email or snail mail? Anyone know if they give any information over the phone? As in if a decision has been made, etc.?

Hey did you receive your information via email or snail mail? Anyone know if they give any information over the phone? As in if a decision has been made, etc.?
For GA-PCOM I received most of my information through email. I got my binder through snail mail yesterday. As for PA-PCOM, i called them yesterday and they still haven't made decision (not even a wait list decision) and its been about a month since my app has been completed. It's my understanding that they can only tell you IF a decision has been made over the phone but not WHAT the decision is.

Does anyone know what the chances are that people will start getting off the wait list soon at PA-PCOM? Admissions said they expected to take people off. They say it could be up until the first day of class, but I figured the class would have to be filled way before classes start.

Do they tell you are on the waitlist?

Do they tell you are on the waitlist?
Yes, you will receive a waitlist letter in the mail if you are put on a wait list. Hopefully they will notify people soon whether or not they are taken off the waitlist since you would think the class will eventually fill up and as of now, I would think they will start pulling people off the waitlist soon (especially since some people are out of state and would need to start looking for apartments)

Yes, you will receive a waitlist letter in the mail if you are put on a wait list. Hopefully they will notify people soon whether or not they are taken off the waitlist since you would think the class will eventually fill up and as of now, I would think they will start pulling people off the waitlist soon (especially since some people are out of state and would need to start looking for apartments)

Based on posts I've read from the past years, they really do pull some people off a day or two before. Makes no sense.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but does anyone know how long it takes the Philly PCOM to make a decision? I got the application completed e-mail a little over 2 weeks ago and haven't had any updates since then. I think their classes start mid August so it's getting close..

Sorry if this has been asked already, but does anyone know how long it takes the Philly PCOM to make a decision? I got the application completed e-mail a little over 2 weeks ago and haven't had any updates since then. I think their classes start mid August so it's getting close..
I got my application complete email on June 5th and no decision has been made still. I called them on Friday and they told me that a decision could come anytime between now and when classes start.

I got my application complete email on June 5th and no decision has been made still. I called them on Friday and they told me that a decision could come anytime between now and when classes start.

Awesome thanks, I guess that's what we have to deal with for rolling admissions.

Congrats on being accepted to the GA-PCOM Biomedical Sciences Program. If you are looking into staying at Century Pointe at Suwanee Station there is a $500 referral fee that I would definitely be willing to split with any new residents. The apt is located in Suwanee and is in close proximity to the school and they give PCOM students a discount. If you are interested you can send me a private message and I can provide you more details. Again, congrats and good luck!

I'm looking to attend the PCOM program next fall (Fall 2013) and I'm curious as to what the GPAs were to get into the program? Also.. if you want to list extracurriculars, go ahead. Also, when they calculate your GPA.. is it similar to the medical school osteopathic approach (no math within the science GPA/repeated course with the higher grade) or a general, allopathic approach (math within science GPA/retaken courses are averaged? Thanks!

I have been recently put on the wait list for the PCOM Biomedical 2012 class in philly. Does this mean the class is currently filled and they will only pull from the wait list if individuals rescind their spots? Does anyone know if they rank people on the wait list?

Last edited:
I just received my wait list letter also. The way the letter is worded, it seems they might over-fill their capacity if they believe you can handle the rigors of the course. Best of luck to you!

I just received my wait list letter also. The way the letter is worded, it seems they might over-fill their capacity if they believe you can handle the rigors of the course. Best of luck to you!
Thank you very much! Best of luck to you too! I am a non-traditional student who had to work for a number of years after undergrad due to financial reasons and personal responsibilities. Luckily, I have reached a point in my life that I can finally return to school!

hey folks,
Im OMS-II at PCOM-Ga and also did the bio-med program. Let me know what questions ya have and Ill do my best to answer them!!
Take care

hey folks,
Im OMS-II at PCOM-Ga and also did the bio-med program. Let me know what questions ya have and Ill do my best to answer them!!
Take care

I'm an incoming Biomed student at Ga-PCOM. I was hoping somebody who has already been through a year of this program could shed some light on how rigorous this program is?
What should I expect? How many hours of work does one put in outside of class daily?
Also, Do I need to buy all the recommended text books? And is there something you wish you knew before you started the program?

-thanks

I'm an incoming Biomed student at Ga-PCOM. I was hoping somebody who has already been through a year of this program could shed some light on how rigorous this program is?
What should I expect? How many hours of work does one put in outside of class daily?
Also, Do I need to buy all the recommended text books? And is there something you wish you knew before you started the program?

-thanks

I'm the roommate of the OMS-II guy, I have same story as him.. OMS-II and 1 year Biomed. He is at AOA conference in Chicago right now, and asked me to help ya out. The 1st term is Biochem and modeling (physio), this was one of the toughest terms for me. A lot of that had to do with tackling graduate level work. Class usually lasted from 4 - 7/8 from M-TH. I usually would stay up after class finish my notes for that day in lecture and wake up study them until 1 or so...All in all i prob spent 25 hrs a week studying outside of class. That may or may not seem like a lot but the goal is not to pass biomed but to do well and bump your GPA up. The textbooks that I used the most were guyton physio and used the lecture notes for everything else. If i got stumped and wanted to look it up, there were always plenty of textbooks in library, and could always use the internet. What I wish I knew before I started the program??? (good question) I think I was too focused on trying to establish a good study plan, that would also work in DO school. Reason being, once i got into DO school that study plan that worked as a biomed no longer worked w/ 3 times the course load. I would focus more on understand the basic basic principles and have them down cold. A lot of the same material is covered in the DO program but you run through things so fast you either need to have solid foundation or you will just start memorizing everything and by the end of the year nothing would have stuck (happened to all of us)...

Hello Aerospace! I wanted to find out, since you have already been through the program, of the people that actually did well in the program what percentage would you say were accepted to PCOM DO? How many were accepted at other schools?

If anyone else knows, I would greatly appreciate help!

Same question, but I want to know about how many were accepted into professional school in general (PA, pharm, dent, etc).

Same question, but I want to know about how many were accepted into professional school in general (PA, pharm, dent, etc).
I would say from my class of 70 (give or take) we had prob 55 at end of the school year. Of those, 15 got into the DO class with me. 10 went to other med schools (morehouse, MCG, Vanderbilt!), that is just off the top of my head and im sure im leaving schools out. The point is that this program will not pigeon hole you into coming to this DO/pharm program. More people could have gotten in the first year but wanted exposure to courses like Immunology and pharmacology, which is taken during 2nd year biomed. The second years that were in my biomed class have done just as well as first years batch. 3 got into LECOM dental school, 10 more got into PCOM-ga DO...so im summary if you bust your tail and work hard you give you shot a great chance to get in. Out of the 55 students I knew i can comfortable say 30 of those are going to professional school. Sure a lot are coming here but, a handful have gone elsewhere.

Could I ask what the GPA average were of those 70 students? Did most break the 3.5 barrier?

Could I ask what the GPA average were of those 70 students? Did most break the 3.5 barrier?
of the ones that got into professional schools, i would say the average gpa was 3.2 -3.5 with MCAT around 25...some lil higher some lil lower.

Thank you so much Aerospacemed for the information!

And this is just random, but I must say that DO students and/or those that went to DO post bacs seem to be so much nicer than those that are going the allopatric route and post on these boards. I know I am generalizing, and the opposite can also be true, but I find that DO pre-med and DO students are so much more helpful. The pre-meds trying to get into allopatric school are just so cutthroat and seem to get joy out of knocking people down (I wonder when they say that they want to be doctors cause they want to help people if they can actually say it with a straight face).

Just my opinion though...

ha, not a problem at all. I did notice the same thing. I also noticed that you still get certain folk that come into DO school with a certain sense of entitlement not realizing that this stuff can be taken away from ya at any moment. The post baccs are usually the ones that almost let their dreams slip away and have a certain level headedness to themselves. Dont get me wrong their are sour apples in every bunch but the post baccs usually have a certain appreciation b/c of all the struggles they have dealt with...and in my completely unbiased opinion, make the best docs