PCOM- Atlanta, Georgia Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I now have activated my PCOM e-mail address and I can access PCOM blackboard, and all kinds of cool ****. This rules.

Members don't see this ad.

blast! the mail gods are against me again. The mail is always slow here, but this is driving me mad. Is there any information worth mentioning that someone can wet my appetite with?

The binders have a To Do checklist with the health questionnaire, sending transcripts, etc... There is info. on financial aid and orientation. My favorite is the sample daily schedule of classes and topics covered in the first two weeks!! :D

is PCOM and PCOM-Ga done inviting people to interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
okay, who can i call to find out where my friggin binder is? It's not here again today and im starting to think something is wrong. :thumbdown:

Maybe they didn't mean to accept you.

nope, its official. i called and they said i'm still accepted. It was sent on the 7th and should be here by the 17th since its bulk mail. i guess it comforts me to know it was sent to the right place and all but it sucks how slow the post office is. oh well, another day binderless...

total no:oops:f seats at PCOM-- GA?

PCOM-GA is accepting 86 students this year. I was just there and I know, I wonder how many seats are left??

You have the BEST screen name and pic I've EVER seen. I'm such a Micro nerd!! Thanks for the laugh :) I interviewed at LMU-DCOM in November and LOVED it there. My hardest decision was LMU or PCOM-GA. Obviously, I'm headed to GA. But good luck in TN!! It's gorgeous there:thumbup:

You have the BEST screen name and pic I've EVER seen. I'm such a Micro nerd!! Thanks for the laugh :) I interviewed at LMU-DCOM in November and LOVED it there. My hardest decision was LMU or PCOM-GA. Obviously, I'm headed to GA. But good luck in TN!! It's gorgeous there:thumbup:

Why thank you! I work in a Prion Lab and research Prions all day, everyday for the past 2 years, so it seemed appropriate. ;)

I didn't apply to PCOM-GA because I grew up like 15 miles from the school and wanted to try living somewhere new for med school. Other than that it seems like an excellent place to be! Since the two schools are only a 4 hour drive away, we should meet up for some kinda southern DO student conference! PCOM-GA vs LMU-DCOM softball game or something! That would be fun! :)

Ya hear TT? Game on! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
the binder came today. very cool. cant wait to see some action in the GA-PCOM environment. :thumbup: theres a lot of names on the members list and i know most are the class of 2012 students but a few are faculty. i will do a count later and give a guestimate as to how full the class is.

for those interested, i counted 66 names on the class members list. I spotted at least 2 names of faculty members, which would leave 64 potential accepted students who have submitted deposits. Thats about 3/4 full if everyone were to matriculate.

I have to admit that I was a SDN lurker but the binder just made me too excited. First post--woohoo! Looking forward to meeting everyone in August! Enjoy your last months of freedom... :)

for those interested, i counted 66 names on the class members list. I spotted at least 2 names of faculty members, which would leave 64 potential accepted students who have submitted deposits. Thats about 3/4 full if everyone were to matriculate.

Great . That leaves 16 seats out of 80 if everybody matriculates.
PCOM -GA website says 80 seats.

just gotan interview invite for first week in march! already asked if I could move it closer as to avoid waitlist but still waiting for a response

just gotan interview invite for first week in march! already asked if I could move it closer as to avoid waitlist but still waiting for a response

awesome, congrats! First week in March isnt far away, but the sooner the better. Hollar if you have any questions.

thanks! any idea on the acceptance rate for oos interviews?

thanks! any idea on the acceptance rate for oos interviews?

acceptance rates seem pretty high for out of staters. I think most of the people who frequent this thread are oos besides me. This late in the season it may be lower, but id still say you have a good shot.

When was your file complete MikeMD?

i'm an OOS. my file was complete i think sometime late october. i interviewed in mid-january and was accepted a couple of weeks later. i'm leaning towards VCOM right now though, so there might be a seat opening up soon.

good luck with the interview. i had a great time during mine. the faculty were amazing and really fun to talk to.

also, i think it's 86 seats...

We have a good number of out of state students in the third year class (including myself) so I would not let that worry you.

And Jelly: I was accepted at VCOM as well. I decided on GA-PCOM after a lot of careful consideration and I have absolutely loved it here... no regrets. Just trust your instincts and you will not go wrong... they are both great schools!

How long did it take everyone to get their letters after the interview? Mine was on the 14th and I am anxiously awaiting news...

got my acceptance letter ~10 days after interview. it was pretty quick!

How long did it take everyone to get their letters after the interview? Mine was on the 14th and I am anxiously awaiting news...
I was interviewed on the 7th or 8th of november, and my acceptance was dated the 14th. But I think its more a matter of when the committee meets, rather than "how long it takes."

One girl on here, who I think will be joining me in the class of 2012, said that she had her interview, and then they told her the admissions committee was meeting later that day, and that her file would be considered then.

I had interview few days back and they said it will take more than a month as they are moving slowly when making decision.

The committee met this past Wed so maybe I'll hear soon! I definately hope its not more than a month...

what hospital affiliations does PCOM-GA have for 3rd/4th year? Are they all around Atlanta? Any interview advice?

I think I posted a list of hospital affiliates somewhere on this thread. Look for it. I'm on the blackberry right now, or I'd find it for you.

The interview wasn't real tough. Just kind of a get-to-know-you meeting. I actually really enjoyed the conversation I had with my interviewers. They were both pretty interesting guys, and Dr. Matayoshi can really talk. I could have talked with those guys all day.

Just be sincere and don't talk out of your ***, and the interview should be fine. Good luck.

I think I posted a list of hospital affiliates somewhere on this thread. Look for it. I'm on the blackberry right now, or I'd find it for you.

The interview wasn't real tough. Just kind of a get-to-know-you meeting. I actually really enjoyed the conversation I had with my interviewers. They were both pretty interesting guys, and Dr. Matayoshi can really talk. I could have talked with those guys all day.

Just be sincere and don't talk out of your ***, and the interview should be fine. Good luck.

good deal, appreciate the advice, thanks.

what hospital affiliations does PCOM-GA have for 3rd/4th year? Are they all around Atlanta? Any interview advice?

I remember reading it a while back, so I knew where it was in the thread. :)

2007-08 Catalog

And a list of hospital affiliates:

Albany Area Primary Health Care
Anderson Medical Center
Archbold Memorial Hospital
Atlanta Medical Center
Baptist Health (This may be the wrong "baptist health" link. If so, and someone can point me to the right one, let me know)
Barrow County Hospital (can't find web page)
BJC Medical
Bleckley Memorial (can't find web page)
Blount Memorial Hospital
Bolivar Medical Center
Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital
Boswell Memorial Hospital
Brooks County Hospital
Brookwood Medical Center
Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center (Ft. Hood? This is right up the road from me. Residents from Ft. Hood sometimes rotate through Brackenridge, where I volunteer)
Chester Regional Center
Children’s HC Atlanta/Scottish Rite (Is this the right link?)
Colquitt Regional Medical Center
Columbia Regional Medical Center (anyone know what this is? I know there is a Columbia, SC and a Columbia, TN... can't find a web site though)
Copper Basin Medical Center
Cumberland Medical Center
Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital
Dekalb Medical Center
Doctors Hospital, Augusta
Doctors Hospital, Columbus
Dorminy Medical Center
Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Center
East Alabama Medical Center
Emory Eastside Medical Center
Flint River Community Hospital (can't find web page)
Florida Hospital East Orlando
Floyd Medical Center
Gordon Hospital
Grandview Medical Center
Gwinnett Medical
Habersham County Medical Center
Harbin Clinic
Hardin Medical Center
Henry County Medical Center
Holston Valley Medical Center
Houston Medical Center
Hutcheson Medical Center
Jackson Hospital
Jackson Madison County General Hospital (this one looks sweet)
Jeff Anderson Regional Medical Center
Kershaw County Medical Center
Martin Army Hospital
Medical Center of Manchester (can't find web page)
Morristown Hamblen Hospital
Murray Medical Center
Newtown Medical (not sure if this is right)
North Mississippi Medical Center
Northside Hospital Atlanta
Northside Hospital Cherokee
Northside Hospital Forsyth
Parkridge Medical Center
Perry Hospital
Putman General Hospital
Richmond Heights Hospital (the only one I found is in Ohio... is that right?)
Rockdale Hospital
Rowan Regional Medical Center (North Carolina?)
Scott Memorial Hospital (I assume this is the one in Lawrenceburg, TN... can't find web page)
Self Regional Medical Center
Serenity Behavioral Health System
Shelby Baptist Medical Center
Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System
St. Francis Hospital (Memphis, TN?)
St. Francis Medical Center (these are everywhere. Which one is this? Louisiana?)
St. Joseph/Candler
St. Jude Children’s Research
Stephens County Hospital
Sumter Regional Hospital
Talbott Recovery
Tallahassee Memorial Hospital
Tampa General Hospital
Taylor Regional Hospital
Tift Regional Medical Center
Walton Regional Medical Center
Washington County Regional Medical Center
Wayne Memorial Hospital (North Carolina?)
Wellmont - Hawkins County Medical Center
WellStar Cobb Health System
WellStar Douglas Health System
WellStar Kennestone Health System
WellStar Paulding Health System
WellStar Windy Hill Health System
William S. Hall Psychiatric Institute (can't find web page)
Womack Army Hospital

any recommendations on cheap hotels really close to the school? And a cheap car rental agency? thanks ;)

I withdrew my acceptance from PCOM-GA today. hope this helps someone out. I'm going to Mercer.

Very entertaining, thanks ;) I'm booked at the Days Inn and renting a car from "EZ Rent a Car" - that place has bad news written all over it.

Anyone else interviewing on Thursday?

Ill be interviewing on Wednesday the 5th. Good luck to you Mike.

On flight back from the interview. Went really well. The school definitely has that "warehouse" feeling to it (since it IS built in a warehouse). I was really impressed by everything and everyone though. My particular tour was done by three 2nd year kids who had nothing but good things to say and seemed to love the school. Buffy definitely lived up to her ridiculousness. Loved it. Now for an acceptance....where do I send my bribery $$? ;) :D

On flight back from the interview. Went really well. The school definitely has that "warehouse" feeling to it (since it IS built in a warehouse). I was really impressed by everything and everyone though. My particular tour was done by three 2nd year kids who had nothing but good things to say and seemed to love the school. Buffy definitely lived up to her ridiculousness. Loved it. Now for an acceptance....where do I send my bribery $$? ;) :D

PCOM-GA is a warehouse? I thought that was Touro-NV? It doesn't look like that in the pictures. Oh well.

Glad your interview went well! Sounds like you like PCOM-GA better then LMU DCOM, huh? Decisions, decisions. :D

PCOM-GA is a warehouse? I thought that was Touro-NV? It doesn't look like that in the pictures. Oh well.

Glad your interview went well! Sounds like you like PCOM-GA better then LMU DCOM, huh? Decisions, decisions. :D

ugh I dno. I like them all! ONLY think I don't like about DCOM is how new it is. PCOM-GA has that problem too, but at least they're affiliated with the well established PCOM....we'll see what happens and if I even get accepted anywhere else :confused:

Yeah I also interviewed at both DCOM and GA-PCOM back in November.. DCOM was good except the fact that it is new and there is a lack of diversity in the school in which I didn't like at all.. On the other hand, GA-PCOM was awesome, and I wouldn't say it's new anymore we're gonna be the 4th class. Good board scores, good rotations, & awesome location! Sounds like a keeper! Also, DCOM is like 2hrs from the airport driving on one lane roads, there is way too much hype about that school

any news from GA-PCOM about acceptances for interviews conducted in the week of 02/20/08

anyone else have a lot of pcom Atlanta biomed masters students at their interview? I had 6 out of the 13 interviewees in that program. do they have a much better chance of getting in? I'm worried because there are only ~30 spots left...anyone else?