PCCM only CCM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted547339

Can a fellowship program that is ACGME certified for a 3y PCCM fellowship do only 2y CCM?

I'm EM and I want to do CCM (through IM if possible). I know a lot of CCM programs accept EM and some of the PCCM programs have just CCM programs while some don't. Is it that PCCM programs can't have a 2y fellow who only does CCM? Or they don't want to?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

They're different programs dude.

http://www.emccmfellowship.org/programs.php

PCCM fellowships are for internal medicine trained physicians looking to do critical care. There used to be a lot of 2 year IM CC fellowships, but they fell out of favor since you could easily add in a pulm year and get dual fellowship certification, plus pulm is a natural match for ICU work. A fellowship has to work with the background of the fellow, so you could just hop into a PCCM fellowship designed for IM fellows and then just cut out a pulm year magically and have it work.

Thank you and I understand that, but that does not answer my question. I suppose my question wasn't clear enough:

Can a program that is acgme approved in PCCM train someone in only ccm? I'm not asking logistics, simply accreditation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you and I understand that, but that does not answer my question. I suppose my question wasn't clear enough:

Can a program that is acgme approved in PCCM train someone in only ccm? I'm not asking logistics, simply accreditation.

Sure. In theory. But it won't ever happen because it's highly impractical to bring someone in who won't also be part of the pulmonary part of the clinic, consult, and call schedule.

Yes, and I've seen it happen, at large academic places

It's too much paperwork and headaches for the call/clinic schedule and acgme.
But yes it is possible if they like/love/ can't live without you in that program.

Likely depends on the program alone.
Where I did residency at UNM, there is a somewhat small program that is predominantly PulmCCM. They take between one and at the most three fellows per year. The program does take CCM only, indeed a very good friend of mine entered as PulmCCM and changed to CCM early in his first year and is now finishing up a Cards fellowship there now.
On the other hand, where I am doing my fellowship now takes four fellows annually (a larger program) and would be likely unwilling to take a non-Pulm fellow.
That's just my observations at two institutions, but may help.