PCAT - October 16th, 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iqra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
So, who is taking the test on the 16th of October? Have you guys started studying? Which books are you using?
Is this the first time you are taking it? I am taking it for the first time and I am so scared! Eeeeek! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I will be taking the Oct. 16th exam and it will be my first time. I am using Kaplan, Cliff, Dr. Collins, and my textbooks since I won't have finished Orgo by the end of the Semester.

I will certainly NOT be doing the computer version they are trying to get us to take. I need to see the paper in front of me, but then I might just be a little old school.

I too am taking the PCAT on October 16th and I must say it is a bit daunting.
If you fail this test, you have to wait another year before you can apply for pharm schools. I took a practice 2006-2007 test and it was ridiculously easy compared to the post 2008 mock PCAT exams.

Also I'm in IL so pharmacy is oversaturated and highly competitive. Meaning I have to score at least in the top 80% to have a chance of entering a school.

What are you guys doing to beef up your chances of being accepted?
- Besides trying to get a good pcat score?
Which schools are you applying to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking it on Oct. the 16th too, this is my second time though! the first time I had only one month to prepare, I did well but not well enough to actually get in.
the books I have are: Kaplen, Barron's and ARCO.
hoping to get into the university of Toronto.

does anybody know more information about the computer based exam as far as.. if we can go back to a question or not if we skipped it originally.. if we will have scratch paper in front of us to work out problems?

I'm taking it on Oct 16 as well. I've taken the PCAT before but I only used Kaplan and my textbooks from previous courses. This time im using Kaplan, Barrons, and some other random PCAT books as well =)
good luck to everyone!

I'm taking the Oct. 16th one too! SOOOOOOOOOO scared. every time i think about it makes me nervous. lol. i'm always thinking "OMG i have to do well! I need to get a good score......" I'm reading over the Dr.Collins material (for about a couple weeks now) and I'm taking the practice tests that goes along with it. I just really hope I'll do well.

Good Luck Everyone! :thumbup:

There have been mixed opinions about the Pearson tests online, but from everyone I have talked to in person about the PCAT they recommend taking all three online tests 2/4/8 wks out from the PCAT.

i'm terrified as well. Good luck to everyone, I'm taking my PCAT at Rutgers University in New Brunswick.
It's my first time as well. I took a practice test to see where I'm at, and I have A WHOLE lot to improve.

I just got my Dr.Collin's package today! After reading a lot of reviews, a lot of people are saying that its the best guide out there!
The bio package is so thin; I am not sure if thats enough?

ps - I already had a nightmare that I am running out of time or something! LOL!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yesterday. I was looking through Dr.Collins Chemistry practise exams and I found them to be pretty easy and I havent even started studying!
Bio, on the other hand, seemed so hard and I am good at Bio!

where's a good source to purchase/download a dr. collin's study guide? (i'm looking just for the sciences and a little math, more specifically inorganic and college calc.)

any suggestions?? search engine browsing is giving me a bunch of junk...

I am also taking it, but for the 2nd time. I am going to take the online version. I did so well on the online practice tests, and had 5+ min to spare in each section. Then on the real test, I ran out of time in every section, even reading comp where the difficulty level was the same. Perhaps it's just easier for me to read on a computer screen.

Probably just going to review verbal, reading comp and biology. Chemistry and Math were the killers on the August exam. Good luck to everyone!

I will be taking the Oct. 16th exam and it will be my first time. I am using Kaplan, Cliff, Dr. Collins, and my textbooks since I won't have finished Orgo by the end of the Semester.

I will certainly NOT be doing the computer version they are trying to get us to take. I need to see the paper in front of me, but then I might just be a little old school.

I am suing cliff notes and Kaplan but after taking the first Pearson practice test, i think cliffnotes is too easy and does not represent the pcat standard of questions. What do you think.

gosh iam depending on God, Kaplan, cliff's and barron's for the PCAT! iam a first time test taker.. i can't afford to lose another year..
how is studying coming along for you guys?

I am taking it in October as well! So scared! I am using Kaplan, Mcgraw and Dr. Collins + pearson

I am suing cliff notes and Kaplan but after taking the first Pearson practice test, i think cliffnotes is too easy and does not represent the pcat standard of questions. What do you think.

I think you should sue them, just like your typo says.

hey guys! So i took the august pcat but I still dont know how I did on it...my last chance is the October 16 pcat for my schools in Maryland...but Florida schools take January PCAT...We get results for August PCAT end of September/beginning October...I mean is 4 weeks enough to prepare for the October PCAT just incase???
For the August Pcat I prepared almost the whole summer but the last month before, I kicked it into high gear like 8hrs a day. I dont know what to do! should I just wait for the results? or forget Maryland and just apply to Florida schools that take January PCAt????:eek::mad::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Are FL schools rolling admissions? Jan PCAT seems really late and may reduce your chances.

4 weeks may or may not be enough time. But if you studied for most of the summer, it should be enough, at least if you do 8 hours a day. Then you don't have to forget Maryland. I'm finding it difficult to study for Oct. The Aug. scores need to be available asap.

thanks Jack! how long have you been studying and what books are you using? I went paranoid and bought so many books yikes. But I can't seem to structure myself and these schools want 80% at least on PCAT ahhhhh

P.S. Anyone know people who got accepted to Palm Beach Atlantic and Nova in Florida? are they competitive?:idea::scared::scared::rolleyes:

one more Q...pharmcas just received my transcript but I dont see my GPA calculations...I mean I entered all the classes I took...so now what?

one more Q...pharmcas just received my transcript but I dont see my GPA calculations...I mean I entered all the classes I took...so now what?

It takes some time after pharmCAS receives your transcripts and after you e-submit before they will calculate your GPA.

Hi, I'm taking the PCAT for the first time this october, and i'm stressing out super hard about what I specifically should be putting most of my focus into while studying. If someone who has previously taken the test could please help me out and let me know which area's of the exam are the most crucial to spend my study time on I would appreciate it greatly. I've heard that the Kaplan book that I have is "overkill" and i've been making tons of notecards for each chapter in the book. I would really appreciate the help, thanks!!!

:eek:

Hey! ok so theres less than 4 weeks left till the exam. I took it in August and I personally found the math and chemistry sections to be the hardest...math was worse...everyone I took it with said they had to guess like half of the section.....but honestly, after meeting with an advisor at one of the top ranked schools, Maryland...she told me schools put a lot of weight on the biology and chemistry section....so If I were you I would put all my energy in those sections....like 8-10 hrs a day if u can. If u can afford it...get Dr.Collins! or buy the online pearson pcat tests...their extremely helpful...I saw some of those questions on the actual exam. Get a kitchen timer and time are your practice tests if you can. Its not really about what you "think you may know" but its more about speed. You have to think fast. Dont worry Im sure you will do great. Will you be applying for fall 2011 admissions?

Hey! ok so theres less than 4 weeks left till the exam. I took it in August and I personally found the math and chemistry sections to be the hardest...math was worse...everyone I took it with said they had to guess like half of the section.....but honestly, after meeting with an advisor at one of the top ranked schools, Maryland...she told me schools put a lot of weight on the biology and chemistry section....so If I were you I would put all my energy in those sections....like 8-10 hrs a day if u can. If u can afford it...

Wow! I'm lucky if I get one hour of studying per day!

I was chosen to take the computer based PCAT Oct 16th, but can manage to schedule an appointment on Pearson VUE. Is any body cancelling any time soon in Miami and West Palm area???? :confused:

The cliff notes exams are very, very easy and not a great reflection of the real PCAT. I like the Pearson tests and the Dr. Collins tests, but Kaplan has been great for Biology material.

As to the computer-based test, it looks like they are emailing almost everyone and just hoping some people register for it. No one in my area I have talked to is taking the computer version.

I totally bombed the RC section on the August PCAT and I don't know what to do to bring it up. Any suggestions? I have old stuff from the Kaplan course, Dr. Collins, and I already bought the Pearson practice exams. I HAVE to do better on the RC...it was horrible.

I'm re-taking it on October.

Oh my gosh, I know it gonna be such a hard time for me to make it while taking 17 credits and having midterms at the same time.

But yea, I will try my best and watch me make my score jumps high, guys!!:p
Well, last chance for this cycle. So for those are in the same situation, please try hard and believe in yourself.

And i'm going to use JUST ONLY Dr. Collins material this time. :cool:

Oh and if you have Dr. Collins August update, please share it with me, i mean PLEASE, because I did not have the original copy from him. Thanks a bunch!!:thumbup:

Good luck everyone!!

Hey guys here are my result for august pcat

Verbal : 45
RC: 10 wtf????
Math : 50
Biology : 51
Chemistry : 43 =(
Comp: 33%

Should I even apply this year? Im registered for the October pcat but I've barely had time to study because Im taking classes. What do I do?

The way I look at it, while studying for your classes you are learning PCAT material. Right now I have MicroBio, Orgo, and A&P, all with labs, and I am learning a tremendous amount that is in the review materials. I take my next Pearson test tomorrow and I hope to improve on my projected scores, but my weakness is quant and chem (~50 on pearson practice, but that was before taking the above classes). I think I am the opposite of you though as I had only 1 question wrong on the Vocab/RC sections. Anyway, if this means a lot to you and you think you have learned from your classes, go ahead and take the PCAT. If you have everything else in line (solid GPA/experience/LORs/etc) and your other scores come up a bit I don't see why you couldn't get in. It would be worse in my mind to not take the chance and regret it later asking the "what if" question. Either way, good luck!

wow I'm supper freaked about this test cause it's my first time taking the PCAT. I went through most of the Kaplan'09 but I don't think its enough:(. I was wondering if anyone is thinking of purchasing the PCAT practice test from Parson? The cost is $40 which I think is ridiculously unreasonable.

wow I'm supper freaked about this test cause it's my first time taking the PCAT. I went through most of the Kaplan'09 but I don't think its enough:(. I was wondering if anyone is thinking of purchasing the PCAT practice test from Parson? The cost is $40 which I think is ridiculously unreasonable.

you think you're freaked out, I just signed up for it and haven't started studying yet

you think you're freaked out, I just signed up for it and haven't started studying yet
2 weeks, Im freaked out... I dont know how to study for the reading. And kaplan is so hard to do the reading, Im just going to read the biology section of kaplan and do the Dr collins and pearson reading -.-. Last 4 days I will go through everything.

BWAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAA (takes breath) HAAA HAA HAA HAHA HAA :laugh:

Attachments

• fail2.jpg
    fail2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 125