PCAT June 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacysoon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! June pcat scores will be out by this Friday (07/24). What do you guys think of the test? I personally thought that math section was harder than usual.

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to you! Props for posting up your stats even though people out there would not post it under 80 (Show offs -_-a).

?
FYI, I wouldn't post my stats even if they were 90%. It's really no one's business but mine and the pharm schools. :mad:

?
FYI, I wouldn't post my stats even if they were 90%. It's really no one's business but mine and the pharm schools. :mad:

Of course! Why would you bother contributing useful information to this great community? I mean, almost everyone else has posted their scores and given some sort of advice, but you are exempt from this because you are so special!

Thankg GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am gonna be a pharmacist!!!!!!

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Chemistry​
.​
.449 95

Quantitative Ability​
.​
.516 99

Reading Comprehension​
.​
.447 96

Biology​
.​
.455 98

Verbal Ability​
.​
.436 92
Composite 461 99

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course! Why would you bother contributing useful information to this great community? I mean, almost everyone else has posted their scores and given some sort of advice, but you are exempt from this because you are so special!

Lol..... :lol:

Sheesh. What is it with people having to know every little thing about everyone else? Is there not a choice in choosing confidentiality? I've already expressed that I will be retaking the PCAT, which I am not even required to say. How would my scores benefit others when the decision is purely a personal one? I have read that some people with even a 90% score have chosen to retake. I also know people with a 56% that are not going to retake. Your comment only reinforces my decision.

I think you need to sit on Twitter for a few hours to satiate your need to divulge into other people's personal information. (i.e. go troll somewhere else)

Chemistry​
449 95

Quantitative Ability​
516 99

Reading Comprehension​
447 96

Biology​
455 98

Verbal Ability​
436 92
Composite 461 99

WOW! congrats to you on an awesome score!

how is this possible?

chem: 99%
bio: 84%
verbal: 95%
reading comprehension: 48%
quant: 81%
composite: 95%

essay: 3/3

I'm really disappointed about my score especially, reading and verbal. I studied 1 month for this damn exam, waited another one month, now i have to retake it again in OCT..

Last edited:
Thanks and Congratulations on your great score. By the way I am in southern California too. I guess we get our mail earlier. It was postmarked the 22 and it is already here.

I know right? I'm surprised we got our scores before some people in the midwest/east. I've also heard some so cal residents have not received it yet either. We're special :)

I got scores in the mail today or yesterday, thought I purchased them a few days ago anyways. Just a little warning to check your mailbox...

Nice job on that 99% hah. Pretty crazy.

how is this possible?

chem: 99%
bio: 84%
verbal: 95%
reading comprehension: 48%
quant: 81%
composite: 95%

essay: 3/3

Hah, I'm surprised that got you into 95% composite, I guess those 3 90%+ scores bumped you up a bunch.

Sheesh. What is it with people having to know every little thing about everyone else? Is there not a choice in choosing confidentiality? I've already expressed that I will be retaking the PCAT, which I am not even required to say. How would my scores benefit others when the decision is purely a personal one? I have read that some people with even a 90% score have chosen to retake. I also know people with a 56% that are not going to retake. Your comment only reinforces my decision.

I think you need to sit on Twitter for a few hours to satiate your need to divulge into other people's personal information. (i.e. go troll somewhere else)

Hah, nice try, I don't even have a twitter.
It's funny that you're so against posting them. We need you to post them so we can steal your identity!
Scores do help others, it let's them know how others did, and maybe how they studied and what not.

Was chem section easy for you guys? I see many people scoring over 90 in the chem section

Did the chem questions come with simple numbers to calculate with ? How did you guys find questions involving organic chemistry ?

scores came in snail mail 2day
I got 440/97 composite and 3's on both essays
def a nice suprise, goodbye PCAT

Was chem section easy for you guys? I see many people scoring over 90 in the chem section

Did the chem questions come with simple numbers to calculate with ? How did you guys find questions involving organic chemistry ?

chem was pretty straight forward, just gotta be quick
take the 5 practice pcat tests from Cliffs notes, and the 2 pearson practice tests and they will give u a good idea of what areas are emphasized

Members don't see this ad :)
I got scores in the mail today or yesterday, thought I purchased them a few days ago anyways. Just a little warning to check your mailbox...

Nice job on that 99% hah. Pretty crazy.

Hah, I'm surprised that got you into 95% composite, I guess those 3 90%+ scores bumped you up a bunch.

Hah, nice try, I don't even have a twitter.
It's funny that you're so against posting them. We need you to post them so we can steal your identity!
Scores do help others, it let's them know how others did, and maybe how they studied and what not.

yeah im definitely confused as how my scores amounted to a 95%... chem must have REALLY helped.

yeah im definitely confused as how my scores amounted to a 95%... chem must have REALLY helped.

I believe your comp percentile is based on your average total points, not the average of all your percentiles. Your high chem score probably dragged up the others that were lower ^^

I believe your comp percentile is based on your average total points, not the average of all your percentiles. Your high chem score probably dragged up the others that were lower ^^

sounds right as my percentiles were 85/75/73/81/81 and composite 84. no way was the composite an average of the individual sections.

Verbal 61
Bio 80
RC 85
Quant 54
Chem 68
Comp 74

Writing 3.0/3.0

First time taking it. Summer classes were already eating me alive so I didn't have time to prepare. However, I am satisfied with the score for my first time. I expected as much with my verbal, quant, and chem. I'm going to study hard for the OCT one and hopefully pull a 90+.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! June pcat scores will be out by this Friday (07/24). What do you guys think of the test? I personally thought that math section was harder than usual.

I received my PCAT scores today and I studied for it like crazy, did practice tests, the whole thing. But I'm really wondering, could they have used to wrong form of test to grade my test? My scaled scores seem average but my composite Percentile rank is insanely low...isn't that what we go by?

I just got my June 2009 results.

VERBAL 82
BIO 88
READING 16 :(:(
QUANTITATIVE 50
CHEMISTRY 84
COMPOSITE 71

WRITING 3.5/3.5

Science GPA 3.8 Cum GPA 3.85

SIGH* This is my first time taking the PCAT. I plan to attend UF, where I got my undergrad degree. I have such a low reading score, however, I have a very good writing/verbal score. What do you think?
Hate to burst your bubble but 3.5/3.5 isn't "very good", just "above average" considering most people get 3/3.

I would retake, to be honest. You do have some pretty good sections with a few 80%+ but it didn't put your composite over the top because you don't have a single 90%+ subsection (even 2 90s will skyrocket your composite). The 16% in reading is gonna look really bad also. It depends on the schools you applied to and what they look at of course - some schools only sees the composite, others look at your whole body of scores. But still, I would say if you want a more competitive PCAT score you should definitely think about writing it again. Also think about opening up your options, it's never a good idea to have just one school in mind and denying yourself potential opportunities. Good luck.

I received my PCAT scores today and I studied for it like crazy, did practice tests, the whole thing. But I'm really wondering, could they have used to wrong form of test to grade my test? My scaled scores seem average but my composite Percentile rank is insanely low...isn't that what we go by?
IIRC you can go through a remark procedure by contacting Pearson but it will cost you.

got my scores in the mail today and more or less pleased considering it was my first time to take it

Verbal 95
Biology 60 :(
Reading 89
Quantitative 81
Chemistry 77

Composite 87

only way i can explain bio (and some of chem) is that i only studied for about a week before the test and i took gen. bio freshman year so nothing was really fresh

while im pleased with my composite, i figure that they'll want a better bio/chem score and i know i can do better so i plan on retaking in october. just wanted some outside opinions though and also, will that be bad to put an application in that late when the schools im looking at have deadlines in late jan/ early feb?

thanks

Chemistry​
.​
.449 95

Quantitative Ability​
.​
.516 99

Reading Comprehension​
.​
.447 96

Biology​
.​
.455 98

Verbal Ability​
.​
.436 92
Composite 461 99

Congrats. But you still need to apply and get in.

The last time I took the PCAT I went out of there feeling like hell and deservedly so with a 45 composite. This time, I went out of there feeling exactly like crap again but somehow ended up with an 85. I had already signed up for the next PCAT test date to save myself the late signup fee and ironically ended up losing $75 for a refund.

I guess the point of my story is that even if you've done terribly in the past, you can still manage a high score if you work at it. Unfortunately my math dropped from 90 to 73 from last time despite studying for math 10x more this time, so sometimes bad luck can play a role.

VERBAL 82
BIO 88
QUANTITATIVE 50
CHEMISTRY 84
COMPOSITE 71

WRITING 3.5/3.5

SIGH* This is my first time taking the PCAT. I plan to attend UF, where I got my undergrad degree. I have such a low reading score, however, I have a very good writing/verbal score. What do you think?

Your reading score certainly is curious. With your verbal and writing scores, you obviously don't have a problem with English so it isn't that. On past reading comprehension tests, have you had a problem? I see those scores and think that you either bubbled wrong or that you can make a big jump if you just learn some reading comprehension techniques. Why do you think you got a 16 in that section?

Your reading score certainly is curious. With your verbal and writing scores, you obviously don't have a problem with English so it isn't that. On past reading comprehension tests, have you had a problem? I see those scores and think that you either bubbled wrong or that you can make a big jump if you just learn some reading comprehension techniques. Why do you think you got a 16 in that section?

Slightly tangential, but related:

When people post their numerical scores along with the percentiles, I have noticed that there sometimes is a wide percentile variation for just a few digit differences. It makes me think that the standard deviation for some sections is very, very small such that in certain sections, it may be disproportionately easy to get a low percentile.

Just a hypothesis, I have no way of proving it.

VERBAL 82
BIO 88
QUANTITATIVE 50
CHEMISTRY 84
COMPOSITE 71

WRITING 3.5/3.5

Being that your lowest scores are in reading and quant, maybe you became exhausted after the first half of the exam and was worn out by the time you got to the last two sections?

Hey Tat,

I just got my scores back, and I'm planning on taking the August pcats. I saw that your scores improved after the dr collins test prep and I was wondering if you could tell me about the material. Does is summarize information or does it also have practice questions? Also, did you use any other study materials?

Thanks and Congrats on your scores!

i gave in! and it was well worth the $20!!!!!!!....its worth it this time because we won't get our scores in the mail untill mid next week! good luck

Ok guys so the first time i took the pcat i got a 49 in oct 2008. then in jan of 2009 i got a 53..then i bought dr collins in preparation for the june 2009 pcat and here are my results..

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Composite
423 84
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Chemistry ..
434 88
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Quantitative Ability ..
419 73
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Reading Comprehension ..
418 73
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Biology ..
414 71
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Verbal Ability ..
431 89

my verbal went from 24 to 89! my bio dropped from 76 to 71. my reading comp went from 35 to 73. my math went from 53 to 73. and my chem went from 66 to 88!!!!! thank you dr collins! good luck all

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]

Congrats. But you still need to apply and get in.

LOL. Darn I was hoping I could skip that step. I suppose I also have to go to pharmacy school if I get in :eek:. Well I think my application will be strong but there is always a very real possibilty that I will completely screw up the interview.

I feel the exact same way. looking at everyones scores on here that got in the 90th percentile or above.. their scaled scores are not much higher than mine and i did not get anywhere close to their percentile. im also ashamed to say that someone i work with told me to skip if you didnt know the answer because it would hurt you if it did. turns out it was the complete opposite and maybe i should have read the beginning of my books instead of just the practice tests. Does anyone know how the scaled scores could be close but the percentages are way different?!

I feel the exact same way. looking at everyones scores on here that got in the 90th percentile or above.. their scaled scores are not much higher than mine and i did not get anywhere close to their percentile. im also ashamed to say that someone i work with told me to skip if you didnt know the answer because it would hurt you if it did. turns out it was the complete opposite and maybe i should have read the beginning of my books instead of just the practice tests. Does anyone know how the scaled scores could be close but the percentages are way different?!

Have you taken statistics?

Basically, if your score is close in number to the mean but there is a very small standard deviation, it can mean that you have a very low/very high percentile.

Good luck to you! Props for posting up your stats even though people out there would not post it under 80 (Show offs -_-a).
I agree! Most ppl here are just posting good scores, but what they are forgetting is that they should be helping the ppl who got lower scores get better scores.........ahhhh, like me! I did not do well on the june pcat b/c i was taking four summer classes. Guys, i am freaking out here. How did u guys study? (espeically to those who got 90% or above) How many hours per week or day did u guys put in? I have less than 21 days to prepare for the aug pcat, any useful tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Maybe you misunderstood your coworkers advice? For math especially, it is good to skip the problems you can't answer right away because it will eat up too much time trying to answer it. But you just need to guess randomly and never leave a question blank.

sounds right as my percentiles were 85/75/73/81/81 and composite 84. no way was the composite an average of the individual sections.

The composite is the percentile rank of the average of your scaled scores. Due to this, it benefits you greater to perform nearer to above the mean on all five sections than to perform avg to above average on 3, bomb 1, and ace 1 or some variation.

For this reason, I would advise alternating studying each subject, including RC and VR. It seems like alot of people spend the majority of their time studying Bio and Chem and neglect these two sections. This actually serves to give those sections more "weight". You can't neglect any part of this test if you want to be in the 90+ range.

I agree! Most ppl here are just posting good scores, but what they are forgetting is that they should be helping the ppl who got lower scores get better scores.........ahhhh, like me! I did not do well on the june pcat b/c i was taking four summer classes. Guys, i am freaking out here. How did u guys study? (espeically to those who got 90% or above) How many hours per week or day did u guys put in? I have less than 21 days to prepare for the aug pcat, any useful tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have not taken the PCAT before, but am taking it in 2.5 weeks. I've been studying since June 1st, taking the Kaplan course, and have been averaging studying 3-4 hours a day Monday through Friday, working 20 hours a week part time too, with a cursory glance at the material on Saturday, and a quick review every Sunday. Right now I'm just going through as many practice questions as possible. Hope that answers your question.

I have not taken the PCAT before, but am taking it in 2.5 weeks. I've been studying since June 1st, taking the Kaplan course, and have been averaging studying 3-4 hours a day Monday through Friday, working 20 hours a week part time too, with a cursory glance at the material on Saturday, and a quick review every Sunday. Right now I'm just going through as many practice questions as possible. Hope that answers your question.

This is how much I studied, too. Two weeks before the exam I did timed practice tests. One can absorb only so much information no matter how much studying done. Half of the exam is knowing the material; the other half is test-taking skills. Be sure you have lots of rest the night before. I got exhausted by the second half of the exam and those last two sections were my lowest scores. Good luck, everyone!

What? Nobody is entitled to helping you with anything. If you want help, ask. It's not that difficult of a gesture.

When it comes down to it, 90% of the preparation for writing the PCAT is all on you. No one is gonna say you need X hours of studying to do well because everyone uses a different amount of time. If someone said they used 3 hours a week to study and got 90% composite, are you going to follow that advice? Study as much as you need to feel confident that you have a grasp of the material.

Last edited: