Payment for replying to inbox/MyChart messages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmamba

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Is anyone actually billing for 99421, 99422, or 99423 when patients initiate questions on MyChart?

2) And if so, are you using this for inquiries like titrating medications?

3) Who actually pays? Is it the payor or the patient?

I'm curious because the majority of lawyers bill for their time even for the smallest inquiries.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) Is anyone actually billing for 99421, 99422, or 99423 when patients initiate questions on MyChart?

I'm curious because the majority of lawyers bill for their time even for the smallest inquiries.
i dont charge for it.....

then again, i dont respond directly to patients.

thats why you have a staff.

they want to talk to me, they can come in and see me for an appointment

Reactions: 7 users
I have colleagues in cash-based private practice who charge a token payment for messages to discourage patients over utilizing. Some patients just love messaging their doctor and will do it all the time.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't but should. I get so many messages every day. They're like whack a mole. You clear out a few and 10 more show up

Reactions: 1 users
Zero interaction with pts. My staff handles the phone calls.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll do some. Honestly because I feel bad for my assistant. Her job sucks

Zero interaction with pts. My staff handles the phone calls.

Do you answer any patient questions this way or just have them schedule an office visit?

Tell them to come for a visit. Its annoying for the patients but if its worth it to them they will make the visit to come see you. All that time adds up.

My wife is a lawyer and I wouldn't say she bill for the smallest inquiries, a lot of time she doesn't bill if its a straightforward answer. Similar to medicine alot of apparently simple questions take some time and thought to answer and they spend more time drafting an email than one would expect. Especially in law when the way u phrase things can really bite you in the butt later on.

Do you answer any patient questions this way or just have them schedule an office visit?
My staff will ask me Qs throughout the day. If it takes more than 5 sec for me answer the Q, clinic visit.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm just now dealing with a patient who is vastly overutilizing patient portal. I think I just need to bounce it to staff and make her schedule fuv for all of these questions, until she gets the idea.

Never respond directly to a chart message through the chart. That encourages a back and forth texting relationship. I have my staff call back or if it’s important I will call back myself during business hours. Nothing after hours or on the weekend. Urgent weekend questions can be directed via the on call doctor if response is needed right away.

Never respond directly to a chart message through the chart. That encourages a back and forth texting relationship. I have my staff call back or if it’s important I will call back myself during business hours. Nothing after hours or on the weekend. Urgent weekend questions can be directed via the on call doctor if response is needed right away.
You're definitely right. It's the first time that I've really worked with a system that enables direct portal communications to me, and I've been learning how to deal with it. No direct communications anymore

Reactions: 2 users
Exactly. Unless you want to text back and forth.

People seem to message because they are hurting (more) or want to discuss some treatment. I just respond with go to the ER if you are in severe pain and can’t walk, or we will discuss at your next appointment

And now that patient has fired me via portal...
My mentors always said your patients will start to reflect the practice you want to create. If u want to make sure you are compensated for your time i.e patients coming in for visits and not using ur time over the phone/portal then the patients who demand that will move elsewhere and the patients who can do it will stay.

And now that patient has fired me via portal...
Also a good result. Except in a week when they shop around and all of the other dolts in town don’t help they will return. They always return

When a patient fires me they get blocked from getting back on my schedule.
Yes we sent her a letter confirming that as per her wishes we would no longer be seeing her, emergency care for 30 days, check your insurance for other covered doctors, etc