Proposed Physician Payment Rates 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CATS22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken a gander at the ASIPP proposed physician rates for 2022?
Looks like everything is getting cut by 5-20%
It seems like every year they do this but these numbers seem bigger than normal. Are we in a post COVID haze where big gov is trying to strike while we should be happy with anything they pay us?
Only positive I saw was cervical and lumbar RFA additional level (64634 and 64636)
We gained on stim last year... now they are grabbing that back from us.
Even E&M is taking a hit.
We are in the front lines. While pain is not necessarily going to kill someone today its still a noble cause and we help a lot of people.
Does not seem right to hit us like this.
Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like every year they do this but these numbers seem bigger than normal. Are we in a post COVID haze where big gov is trying to strike while we should be happy with anything they pay us?
Only positive I saw was cervical and lumbar RFA additional level (64634 and 64636)
We are in the front lines. While pain is not necessarily going to kill someone today its still a noble cause and we help a lot of people.
Thoughts?
Anyone understand how these decisions are made? It probably has little to do with better patient care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thoughts?
I read this is because a COVID "bonus" is going away, plus the scheduled 2% cut from the Obama era 2011 "Budget control act", plus an additional 4% cut from the Democrat's 2 Trillion dollar "American rescue plan" from earlier this year.

Anyone understand how these decisions are made? It probably has little to do with better patient care.
The size of the pie is decided by congress. How the pie is divided up is determined by groups of physicians from different specialties who argue and decide. Usually the specialties outnumber primary care and therefore screw them over. These people also disproportionally own ASCs, so ASC fees go up and so do procedures that are done in ASCs at the expense of in-office procedures.