Pathologists voting Bush, Kerry, or Nader?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who will you vote for President in the 2004 election?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harbster

Who cares?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Election day is a little under a month away, the election will not be complete without our own SDN poll!

I'm ABB all the way (Anyone But Bush)! I'd vote Nader but I'm from a swingstate, so I'm obligated to vote Kerry.

Members don't see this ad.

Harbster said:
Election day is a little under a month away, the election will not be complete without our own SDN poll!

I'm ABB all the way (Anyone But Bush)! I'd vote Nader but I'm from a swingstate, so I'm obligated to vote Kerry.

Bush is an idiot. Worse case scenario...only four more years of Bush.

Even worse, Jeb Bush runs for president...that guy seems even dumber than Dubya, believe it or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have voted against the incumbent in 95% of all my cast ballots. I occasionally will vote for an incumbent if they impress me as a good person and a politician I admire. But that doesn't happen very often.

Thus, I voted to re-elect Bill Weld as Massachusetts governor. And occasionally one of the state officers like the treasurer.

My ballot this year: 100% against the incumbents, except maybe for the Michigan secretary of state if she is up for reelection.

yaah said:
I have voted against the incumbent in 95% of all my cast ballots. I occasionally will vote for an incumbent if they impress me as a good person and a politician I admire. But that doesn't happen very often.

Thus, I voted to re-elect Bill Weld as Massachusetts governor. And occasionally one of the state officers like the treasurer.

My ballot this year: 100% against the incumbents, except maybe for the Michigan secretary of state if she is up for reelection.

Hey
There is no "I cant vote but i feel the need to vote in this poll anyway" option listed !!!!!!

lolol
Regards
Quant

AndyMilonakis said:
OMG...quant speaks! :eek:
Confucius says....

Silence is the true friend that never betrays.

Hey Andy, i felt i couldnt be left out of the voting talk.....hence the message... :laugh:
Regards
Quant

Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot

quant said:
Confucius says....

Silence is the true friend that never betrays.

Hey Andy, i felt i couldnt be left out of the voting talk.....hence the message... :laugh:
Regards
Quant

Yeah...and Confucius also say that man who go to sleep with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.

Regards
Andy
:D

It's amazing to me that as doctors, we have to go through extensive training, testing and sacrifice to earn the privelage to diagnose and treat patients. Meanwhile, it takes a bachelor's degree and maybe a JD to become president. Granted, there is a minumum age restriction and most presidents have experience in politics (which counts as training) but where is the rigorous testing and evaluation? Being president of the US is one of the most important jobs in the world; it seems to me that they should be required to have extensive training and testing before they can become president. Granted, we all know of idiots that are going to be real doctors someday but if candidates for president had some certification process similar to that in medicine, I think we'd have better qualified candidates.

My absentee ballot is in the mail. I didn't vote for Bush last time. I am certainly not voting for him this time. I think we need to get rid of the electoral college and go with the popular vote. That certainly could have saved us from some grief for the last 4 years. It will be interesting to see what happens with Florida this year.

In this day and age (the information age, specifically) the electoral college is no longer needed to fulfill its original purpose. Bring on the tyranny of the majority! . . . and that's all I have to say about that.

As far testing goes, it's a good idea, but I can already see what will happen. It'll start out with good intentions, but then gradually bloat (not unlike other testing systems that we all know and love). Soon enough, there would be USPLE steps I-XII (I think most Presidents - at least the current one - have or should have been in a twelve step program, so maybe it's not such a big deterrent). USPLE step II, WS (waffling skills - an additional test to the written or "knowledge" portion) will be contested in the courts as being too expensive and redundant. Step VII, IM (intern management - another practical test) will prompt predictable outcry and calls of partisan politics, not to mention potential harassment of the calibrated interns. Fairly soon, the process will be so cumbersome and expensive, that only the elite who come from money will be able to apply for the Presidency . . . wait a minute...

P

ROFLMAO....................... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Primate, that's actually pretty clever. I congratulate you on your wit. I hope you are including it in your ERAS CV. Perhaps under "miscellaneous talents".

I'll do what I did for college elections: Check the box next to Other and write in "beer"

Primate said:
In this day and age (the information age, specifically) the electoral college is no longer needed to fulfill its original purpose. Bring on the tyranny of the majority! . . . and that's all I have to say about that.

As far testing goes, it's a good idea, but I can already see what will happen. It'll start out with good intentions, but then gradually bloat (not unlike other testing systems that we all know and love). Soon enough, there would be USPLE steps I-XII (I think most Presidents - at least the current one - have or should have been in a twelve step program, so maybe it's not such a big deterrent). USPLE step II, WS (waffling skills - an additional test to the written or "knowledge" portion) will be contested in the courts as being too expensive and redundant. Step VII, IM (intern management - another practical test) will prompt predictable outcry and calls of partisan politics, not to mention potential harassment of the calibrated interns. Fairly soon, the process will be so cumbersome and expensive, that only the elite who come from money will be able to apply for the Presidency . . . wait a minute...

P

Alas! You are probably right. Definately enjoyed your analysis :).

I agree, popular vote is the way to go.

AndyMilonakis said:
andy's blog

61:01: This debate is entertaining.

I agree. It was a great debate. I didn't go to sleep like I did during the Edwards-Cheney debate. I think Kerry did a great job. Unfortunately, I'm still convinced that he is going to lose the election.

jeff2005 said:
I agree. It was a great debate. I didn't go to sleep like I did during the Edwards-Cheney debate. I think Kerry did a great job. Unfortunately, I'm still convinced that he is going to lose the election.

I agree. Bush has the mentation of a kid. Kerry is a polished politician. Many americans hate politicians and will hence vote for bush (an argument my friend brought up). I never thought of it this way but I think this is an interesting point.

My feeling is that ppl who vote for Kerry hate Bush. Ppl who vote for Bush hate Kerry. Both candidates are nothing special. It all depends on the number of ppl who hate Bush vs. those who hate Kerry.

AndyMilonakis said:
My feeling is that ppl who vote for Kerry hate Bush. Ppl who vote for Bush hate Kerry. Both candidates are nothing special. It all depends on the number of ppl who hate Bush vs. those who hate Kerry.

Wow, did take an MD/Phd to come up with this masterpiece of logic?

Dude,
you have spent way too much time in the Berkley of the east to have an opinion anywhere close to being objective.

Seven years in Ann Arbor (unless you did your undergrad there too) would make anyone hate Bush.

THe funny thing is with all the books (too many to list) Concerts (springsteen
, movies (9/11) news stations and papers (NYT, CBS etc etc), movie stars (Streisand, Penn, intellectuals (Chomsky) , and pseudo-intellectuals against Bush.... Kerry is still a flailing like a giant water bug. Either the American public are sheep or can see through a BS smoke screen. I tend to believe the latter.

anyway..... why is a Pathology thread in the student doctor site taking political surveys?

Mr. Moderator should this be here or in the lounge?

Matte Kudesai said:
Wow, did take an MD/Phd to come up with this masterpiece of logic

Let's not get mean just because we disagree. :love:

2005 said:
My absentee ballot is in the mail. I didn't vote for Bush last time. I am certainly not voting for him this time. I think we need to get rid of the electoral college and go with the popular vote. That certainly could have saved us from some grief for the last 4 years. It will be interesting to see what happens with Florida this year.

Hmmm... That method of government certainly didn't save Germany from electing Hitler. With our poor public education system, do you really want to give all that responsibilty to the "people".

Matte Kudesai said:
Wow, did take an MD/Phd to come up with this masterpiece of logic?

Dude,
you have spent way too much time in the Berkley of the east to have an opinion anywhere close to being objective.

Seven years in Ann Arbor (unless you did your undergrad there too) would make anyone hate Bush.

THe funny thing is with all the books (too many to list) Concerts (springsteen
, movies (9/11) news stations and papers (NYT, CBS etc etc), movie stars (Streisand, Penn, intellectuals (Chomsky) , and pseudo-intellectuals against Bush.... Kerry is still a flailing like a giant water bug. Either the American public are sheep or can see through a BS smoke screen. I tend to believe the latter.

anyway..... why is a Pathology thread in the student doctor site taking political surveys?

Mr. Moderator should this be here or in the lounge?

I don't claim to be objective...and maybe my statement about Bush was too strong. What I wanted to get across is that I am aware of why people may vote for either candidate. Even as a democrat, I don't like Kerry all that much as a candidate. My friends who will vote for Bush tell me that they see Kerry as a very polished politician who is good at blowing smoke up people's asses. I'm receptive to that. Like many in the health professional field, I am not too crazy about Edwards being on the ticket either. My overall point in my last post was that I'm not a fan of either candidate. So it is truly hard for me to decide. However, I will happen to vote for Kerry because on a scale from 1 to 10, I see Bush as a 2 whereas I see Kerry as a 3.

Sorry Matte if you felt my last post on this issue was some personal attack on you. And no I didn't do my undergrad in Ann Arbor hence only 7 years here for me. But I will admit that I did not like Bush from day 1. Feel free to disagree with me.

You're right, this discussion may belong more in either the Lounge or the Random non-related to pathology thread. Look man, we're here to talk pathology and considering it's applications, we're also here to talk about different programs and all. I don't wanna argue about politics here either and I'll be the first one to step back, chill out, and step down on this OK?

I can't move threads back and forth.

The occasional thread not directly related to path doesn't do anyone any harm. People in this forum have grown accustomed to each other and may want to hear what the others they know have to say. If this is in the lounge it is lost in the abyss and you will end up with the thread on the second page within an hour due to everyone post padding on the innumerable threads that have to do either with sex or congratulating someone on their 1000th post.

All we have to do is keep things civil.

Matte Kudesai said:

I did my undergrad at the "real" Berkeley and I'm voting for Bush. Go figure. ;)

yaah said:

The occasional thread not directly related to path doesn't do anyone any harm. People in this forum have grown accustomed to each other and may want to hear what the others they know have to say. If this is in the lounge it is lost in the abyss and you will end up with the thread on the second page within an hour due to everyone post padding on the innumerable threads that have to do either with sex or congratulating someone on their 1000th post.

Eloquently put.......couldn t agree more

yaah said:

Point well taken.

Thanks, Yaah.

yaah said:

Well said. It's nice to have some topics that aren't related to path; keeps it interesting.

Andy made a good point about people hating one candidate or the other; there seems to be no middle ground. It seems as if the anti-Bush crowd has been more noisy, at least in the press. I'm sure there are an equal number of Kerry-haters out there though. I personally don't think either candidate is great and I imagine things will be fine whoever wins. I just wish for once there was a candidate who really inspired me.

It seems like politicians can't inspire anymore. They have to be as antiseptic as possible, not offend "their base" and speak in political language. Can you imagine what would happen if a politician actually spoke their mind on something? Curtains.

Howard Dean tried to inspire people and look where it got him. Not that I am the biggest Howard Dean fan, but at least he spoke his mind and had actually opinions on issues other than "we will do better" or "we are doing better." But he was shot down because he didn't kowtow to special interests and he was doomed.

AndyMilonakis said:
Your point is well taken geddy...certainly appreciate your input into the matter and I can't disagree with it. My view, as I reflect on it, was very simplified. Oh well...I'm not too well versed in politics which has a big reason to do with it. This is another instance where originally, I should've kept my mouth shut on the issue :)

Andy, I appreciate your comments. Unfortunately, I already deleted my message! I didn't think anyone would have read it yet :) As I looked over this thread again after posting my message, I saw some rather contentious encounters and some tenseness that I had missed. So, I figured it was better to just bugger off and not potentially feed the flames any more. Personally, I find political discussions to be a welcome diversion from the stress of waiting the next few months to see how a major portion of my life will be decided.

Damn...I should've quoted your post in my post.

Now I look like some crazy person who's talking to himself and hears voices.

Haha...I just deleted that post too. Or did I? Or is geddy putting words in my mouth and making stuff up? :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
Now I look like some crazy person who's talking to himself and hears voices.

Now that I'm on my psych rotation, I know what this is called . . . it's ummm. . . . errr . . . well aahhhh. . . . :confused:

Damn, I knew I should've stayed awake during those lectures. :sleep:

Oh how I love core rotations. :rolleyes:

At least my application it OUT. Phew.

P

(Sorry for the emoticon craziness - I felt compelled to use them. Oh wait, I know what that's called, too. It's . . . ummm . . . errraaahh . . . Oh crap, and I have the shelf coming up, too).

The psych shelf was my very first shelf exam.
A jaw dropping experience.
Questions with answers that seem obvious.

16 year old has a hard time adjusting in school....

One of the answer choices being...Adjustment Disorder!

Whoa! Uh oh...mind games...do I pick it or are they trying to trick me? Or are they trying to double trick me and this really IS the answer? :confused:

Looks like Kerry is going to win the election! :thumbup:

I did wander onto a sort of transcript at The Smirking Chimp. His one-liners were sheer poetry.

He just about took them by the hand and led them through the show.

AndyMilonakis said:
http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2652831&htv=12

Has anyone checked this out yet? Apparently I missed it when it was on CNN but I have a new level of respect for Jon Stewart now :thumbup:

First when you hit the Ad page, click "Skip Ad" at the upper right.

Then play the media file "Jon Stewart's Brutal Exchange with CNN Host"

Thanks for the link........Jon Stewart's grilled those 2!

AndyMilonakis said:
Yeah...and Confucius also say that man who go to sleep with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.

:D

don't forget "man who stand on toilet high on pot"

yaah said:
It seems like politicians can't inspire anymore. They have to be as antiseptic as possible, not offend "their base" and speak in political language. Can you imagine what would happen if a politician actually spoke their mind on something? Curtains.

Howard Dean tried to inspire people and look where it got him. Not that I am the biggest Howard Dean fan, but at least he spoke his mind and had actually opinions on issues other than "we will do better" or "we are doing better." But he was shot down because he didn't kowtow to special interests and he was doomed.

I completley agree. Now, Robert Kennedy was pretty inspiring. It's painful to think how much better the world might have been if someone didn't kill him. So sad....I'm a Kerry gal myself, and I agree about the testing of candidates. I don't think Bush would even be an option if he had to take a test he couldn't buy his way out of!

cytotech27 said:
I completley agree. Now, Robert Kennedy was pretty inspiring. It's painful to think how much better the world might have been if someone didn't kill him. So sad....I'm a Kerry gal myself, and I agree about the testing of candidates. I don't think Bush would even be an option if he had to take a test he couldn't buy his way out of!

You know, sometimes I wonder if Bush isn't actually fairly smart, he just plays dumb as part of his "charm" and "appeal." Because it seems to me as though intellectualism in this country is considered by many to be a disease. The philosopher Jacques Derrida died a few weeks back, and it was such a big deal in France (as intellectualism is important to the french) that his death was announced by the president of France. Despite the many bizarre beliefs and hypocrisy espoused by the French, they do appreciate brains. Here, we worship idiots who do nothing more than carry a tune (badly). To be intellectual is to be "suspicious" or no doubt eventually be accused of being anti-american. Many children do not want to do well in school, and have little motivation to do so.

I had always wanted NY senator Moynihan to run for president.

Kerry is probably a smart guy too but he doesn't impress me much with his intelligence either. All politicians act as though they have to speak down to the public, banking on short attention spans. Whether the American public needs to be talked down to is a debatable topic, but I for one would like to see someone treat us as though we can think for ourselves.

yaah said:
Whether the American public needs to be talked down to is a debatable topic, but I for one would like to see someone treat us as though we can think for ourselves.

I agree, but I think it unlikely that most of the readers of this board represent the general electorate to which a politician HAS to play if they want even an outside chance of a win. Sad, but true.

P

That's a good one Matte. My favorite thing about John Kerry is that his solution to everything is to spend more money on it, and yet he also wants to lower the deficit. And he will pay for all of this by bringing back the tax rate on wealthy folks. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I guess my favorite thing about politicians is how they take credit for things when it is convenient to, and blame someone else when it is not. Like when the economy does well, it is because of the president. But when it is not so good, it is because they "inherited a poor situation." I think both Bush and Clinton used the same argument there!

I am starting to think the most important emotion in the US is fear. Have you seen some of these people panicking about flu shots? Of course, these are the same people who play the lottery and believe their odds of winning are higher than their odds of getting cancer from smoking.

yaah said:
I guess my favorite thing about politicians is how they take credit for things when it is convenient to, and blame someone else when it is not. Like when the economy does well, it is because of the president. But when it is not so good, it is because they "inherited a poor situation." I think both Bush and Clinton used the same argument there!

I am starting to think the most important emotion in the US is fear. Have you seen some of these people panicking about flu shots? Of course, these are the same people who play the lottery and believe their odds of winning are higher than their odds of getting cancer from smoking.

I agree. I think it's absurd that the president gets blamed or gets credit for every little thing that goes on. I guess that's the nature of leadership but it still seems silly to me.

Marilyn Manson strangely enough had an interesting idea about fear. He said in an interview that fear is the motivating factor in our society. Fear of being overweight, unattractive, unpopular, etc drives the product market. Just look at all the makeover TV shows out there.

Of course, fear of looking like an idiot in front of attendings motivates me to read and that is a good thing :).

Doctor B. said:
Marilyn Manson strangely enough had an interesting idea about fear. He said in an interview that fear is the motivating factor in our society. Fear of being overweight, unattractive, unpopular, etc drives the product market. Just look at all the makeover TV shows out there.

Of course, fear of looking like an idiot in front of attendings motivates me to read and that is a good thing :).

I think a good quote comes from Napoleon Bonaparte: "Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest" While there is significant overlap beween these 2, it is a balancing act. Of course, this formulation is overly simplistic, which brings up another favorite quote (author unknown): "People can be divided into 2 groups: those who divide people into 2 groups and those who do not" :)

I actually watched an episode of Bill Maher's show on HBO (I think it was on at the same time as one of the first three games of the ALCS when I changed the station because I was so irritated and couldn't bring up the energy to do anything other than stare at the tv), and either he or someone brought up the comment that it is so strange that so many people vote republican based on taxes, and so many people are so very against a higher tax rate on those making >$200,000 per year. "Most of these people do not make more than this, nor are they likely ever to. But they all think that they might one day, and hence the reason for the strong support." I thought that was an interesting viewpoint, as I always thought the reason was that some people are just anti-taxation. Not fearful that any potential success will be minimized by the government. Many people aren't too concerned about a safety net, even though they probably should be.

The psyche of the American is very wrapped up in the "American dream" of success, fame, and fortune (one or all or these three things). So many people feel that their big break is just around the corner, hence the popularity of reality shows and the lottery.

And that is an interesting point about fear. I also wonder if jealousy is equally important. Motivated by seeing what others have or are doing, and needing to get a piece of that.

I came across a rather telling poll - BetaVote.com

This is two guys tabulating straw votes for Bush and Kerry from an international base.

(Incidentally, they also have a link to a site called The Leader Of The Free World)

Guess which way the numbers are going?

Eric Margolis of the Toronto Sun discusses the impact of the US elections on non-Americans - and briefly reviews BetaVote.com - here.

deschutes said:
I came across a rather telling poll - BetaVote.com

This is two guys tabulating straw votes for Bush and Kerry from an international base.

(Incidentally, they also have a link to a site called The Leader Of The Free World)

Guess which way the numbers are going?

Eric Margolis of the Toronto Sun discusses the impact of the US elections on non-Americans - and briefly reviews BetaVote.com - here.

Wow! Look at the Canadian poll!