Path to Surgical Sports Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to decide between dentistry and podiatry. One of the aspects about podiatry that appeals to me is surgical sports medicine. After much research on past forums, I think I understand the process that one would go through in order to become a surgical sports podiatrist:

1) Obtain a DPM degree from an accredited podiatry school.
2) Complete a 36-month surgical residency (I understand there is a 24-month residency also)
3) Complete a 1-year fellowship in Sports Medicine.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Also, is it even realistic to think that one could be a podiatrist practicing 100% sports medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently trying to decide between dentistry and podiatry. One of the aspects about podiatry that appeals to me is surgical sports medicine. After much research on past forums, I think I understand the process that one would go through in order to become a surgical sports podiatrist:

1) Obtain a DPM degree from an accredited podiatry school.
2) Complete a 36-month surgical residency (I understand there is a 24-month residency also)
3) Complete a 1-year fellowship in Sports Medicine.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Also, is it even realistic to think that one could be a podiatrist practicing 100% sports medicine?

A fellowships may not be needed if you get the right residency. Some places and attendings are know for being big into Sports medicine. There are podiatrists that do 100% sports medicine, but it is difficult for even an orthopod to do 100% sports med. Most will be very active in sports med but will still see other surgical patients to pay the bills.

A fellowships may not be needed if you get the right residency. Some places and attendings are know for being big into Sports medicine. There are podiatrists that do 100% sports medicine, but it is difficult for even an orthopod to do 100% sports med. Most will be very active in sports med but will still see other surgical patients to pay the bills.

Thanks for the information Feelgood. Also, do you know how stable a podiatry career is? Again, I've done research on the subject, but the fact remains that not every individual will have to see a podiatrist in his/her lifetime, whereas arguably everyone must see a dentist. Any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the information Feelgood. Also, do you know how stable a podiatry career is? Again, I've done research on the subject, but the fact remains that not every individual will have to see a podiatrist in his/her lifetime, whereas arguably everyone must see a dentist. Any thoughts on this?

You have not seen some of the patients we have worked on, I don't think that they have ever seen a dentist.

I think that if everyone lives long enough that they will have to see a podiatrist. But this could be said for every medical field. If you become an endocrinologist, some people will never use your services. It think that foot and ankle pain or more likely than many other medical pathologies. I understand you apprehension, but their is plenty of demand for podiatrist. I think that you should shadow a pod and see if you like it. It is definitely not for everyone and you want to be happy (and not waste your money).

You have not seen some of the patients we have worked on, I don't think that they have ever seen a dentist.

I think that if everyone lives long enough that they will have to see a podiatrist. But this could be said for every medical field. If you become an endocrinologist, some people will never use your services. It think that foot and ankle pain or more likely than many other medical pathologies. I understand you apprehension, but their is plenty of demand for podiatrist. I think that you should shadow a pod and see if you like it. It is definitely not for everyone and you want to be happy (and not waste your money).

I appreciate you taking the time to engage in this discussion. Take care my friend.

Also consider that there are about ten dentists per every podiatrist. If you become a dentist you will likely have more competition. In my city there are six podiatrists and probably a hundred dentists.

Nat

Also consider that there are about ten dentists per every podiatrist. If you become a dentist you will likely have more competition. In my city there are six podiatrists and probably a hundred dentists.

Nat

That's a good point NatCh.

I read in a previous post some podiatry schools have relaxed admission standards. If this is true, what would happen in the event that new podiatry schools open in the near future? Would this not hurt the profession through saturation of new grads on the market? If the demand for podiatry increases as new schools open, then I could see this not being a problem. However, if it doesn't, then I am guessing that it may prove disasterous.

I read in a previous post some podiatry schools have relaxed admission standards. If this is true, what would happen in the event that new podiatry schools open in the near future? Would this not hurt the profession through saturation of new grads on the market?

That is one major concern with opening another school. I personally would like to see some schools decrease class sizes to make room for the new school. But even if that does not happen, we are still not even close to the huge classes of the past.

I read in a previous post some podiatry schools have relaxed admission standards. If this is true, what would happen in the event that new podiatry schools open in the near future? Would this not hurt the profession through saturation of new grads on the market? If the demand for podiatry increases as new schools open, then I could see this not being a problem. However, if it doesn't, then I am guessing that it may prove disasterous.

look up Amol Saxena. He is a podiatrist in northern Cali and practices almost exclusively sprorts medicine.

On a grand scale those issues are important. On a small, personal scale, I say pick the career you think you'd enjoy doing most, then figure out a place to practice and a niche to fill. I'd rather struggle at doing something I love than be overworked doing something I didn't. Either dentistry or podiatry, you will still likely make a far better living than the average citizen.

Of the hundred or so dentists in town, only two or three do pediatric dentistry (and there are a ton of little kids here). One of the three does a great job of marketing and is making a killing being known as the kids' dentist. Every family I know that has kids (a lot) sees this guy. That's what I mean by finding a niche.

If you made it known in your community that you focus on podiatric sports medicine, then you will get a reputation for it and get that business.

Nat

Awesome info guys (and gals, if present). I am definitely going to shadow a pod to gain more insight into the field. I do not want to rush into something that I will regret. Thanks again.

...A fellowships may not be needed if you get the right residency. Some places and attendings are know for being big into Sports medicine. There are podiatrists that do 100% sports medicine, but it is difficult...
I agree. This is true to an extent. Still, at most residencies, you don't see a whole lot of healthy patients, and definitely not a lot of people who'd qualify physically as "athletes" like most pre-pods are surely imagining, though. Collegiate level or higher athletes generally don't just go to the ER or a random pod clinic when they get hurt; athletes have very high expectations and their team usually has private docs in place and go there if they get hurt. If you have a pod attending at your residency who is big on sports med and one of those team docs, you might see some of those cases.

Fellowship is a good way to go, or you'd probably want to at least be in a group practice with sports orthos or a very good sports pod if you want to get good at sports med. Another good option is to just do extra time with a team pod in your area. I was in the athletic training room with Dr. Losito and his new fellow (from Temple, UTHC) while they were doing the preseason screenings on the Barry athletes. A local Miami pod resident was there with us also, and when I asked her if it was a rotation for her residency, she said, "nope... just personal interest." It was a pretty different experience than I generally get in clinics also; even if it means taking time out of your personal life, it's nice to get those varied subspecialty experiences with experts in the field when you can (podiatric path lab, pod sports med, etc).

I also agree with Feelgood that seeing all athletes all the time probably just won't happen for any doc - pod or otherwise. Pod is already a specialty, so you still have to know and like it as a complete specialty (biomechanics, ortho, derm and nails, diabetes, sports and soft tissue, etc). There are some rare exceptions, but it's exceedingly rare. Losito is one of the best known sports pods around (panelist for lead article in Pod Today this month, former AAPSM prez, etc), but even he sees athletes, kids, and some general cases to fill out the schedule. He has, like many pods, carved out a nice niche, though... he gets tons of referrals from Miami area and even further for athletes and kids who need a good pod (or when other pods are stumped by a sports or podopeds case).