Path pics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

49erDoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/students/ms2/path/p1main.cfm

https://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/students/ms2/path/p2main.cfm

here are two links that I found pretty useful in reviewing some pathology pics. I thought I'd post them since people on this board have been so helpful in answering my questions. I think they might be Goljan picks since they come from OSUCOM

Members don't see this ad.

cherrypie said:
Well, isn't it "illegal" for goljan to be giving out questions that were on past usmle step 1 examinations? :confused: (and he obviously gets the questions from students who have taken it. If you dont believe me just listen to his audio).

Good point...

I don't know the exact intricacies of this, he made several comments that he'd never let someone tell him the answer choices if they asked him about a question and that he'd never use the question's verbatim, just the general presentation of the senerio and/or buzz words to show how they asked questions, For instance, he'd always make a comment that, "USMLE freqently tests over Guillain-Barré, and they'll present it as someone with a recent e. coli infection that a few weeks later presents with an ascending neuropathy...or he'd quote one of his questions about Guillian-b from his question bank" as opposed to "The USMLE frequently asks question about Guillain-Barré and they've frequently used this question. A 24 year old man presents to your office" Etc. but I do not know anything about the bootleg audio as I've never listened to them. but like I've said, I don't know the in's and outs of this question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hernandez said:
I don't know the exact intricacies of this, he made several comments that he'd never let someone tell him the answer choices if they asked him about a question and that he'd never use the question's verbatim, just the general presentation of the senerio and/or buzz words to show how they asked questions, For instance, he'd always make a comment that, "USMLE freqently tests over Guillain-Barré, and they'll present it as someone with a recent e. coli infection that a few weeks later presents with an ascending neuropathy...or he'd quote one of his questions about Guillian-b from his question bank" as opposed to "The USMLE frequently asks question about Guillain-Barré and they've frequently used this question. A 24 year old man presents to your office" Etc. but I do not know anything about the bootleg audio as I've never listened to them. but like I've said, I don't know the in's and outs of this question.

It's still plagiarism. Nuff said. By the way, I have only called out students who are adamantly opposed to anyone using Goljan materials, not all OSU-COM students or OSU-COM in general.

Hernandez said:

Maybe I was a bit to harsh in saying that he puts exact questions. However, for all those that still have not taken the boards foucs on the concepts he teaches more than what he tells you what was asked. You might see a particular fact that he happened to mention in a very general sense that was on previous boards. However, after listening to him many many times and taking step 1, Dr. Goljan's explanations of the concepts is GOLD. If you understand the connections he makes and how concepts are tied that will get you many many questions. The man obviously loves to teach and does a pretty damn good job at it. Good luck to all, and God bless dr. goljan

Pox in a box said:
It's still plagiarism. Nuff said. By the way, I have only called out students who are adamantly opposed to anyone using Goljan materials, not all OSU-COM students or OSU-COM in general.

I'm not opposed to it. Poppie is, and he tells us about it constantly.

I don't care either way.

Pox in a box said:
It's still plagiarism. Nuff said. By the way,

I'll take Mr. Webster’s definition of plagiarism over yours any day.

Main Entry: pla·gia·rism
Pronunciation: 'plA-j&-"ri-z&m also -jE-&-
Function: noun
1 : an act or instance of plagiarizing

Main Entry: pla•gia•rize
Pronunciation: 'plA-j&-"rIz also -jE-&-
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -rized; -riz•ing
Etymology: plagiary
transitive senses : to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own : use (another's production) without crediting the source.​

and this is surprising coming from you since you're on record stating

Pox in a box said:
To be quite honest, Goljan and USMLE Step 1 are not one-in-the-same. While he hit a lot of what was on Step 1, he didn't "nail" any of it. When he said "That's on boards" was not exactly the case. Still, he's an excellent resource and you should use him to master the material. The concepts are the same, regardless of the presentation or "tie-ins" to other subjects.

at this point, I think you're intentionally trolling just to be argumentative.

Pox in a box said:
I have only called out students who are adamantly opposed to anyone using Goljan materials, not all OSU-COM students or OSU-COM in general.

:rolleyes: Let's do a quick review of your posting history to show we're you're wrong and where you've been singling out OSU posters and doing more than just calling them out for stating any opinion which states that no body should use the illegal bootlegs.

Example #1 where you Tell Dr. Mom that she's wrong, when in fact's she is far closer to being correct than you are

Pox in a box said:
Unless you can equate Rapid Review with your class notes (or Kaplan notes for that matter), then the point still stands. They obviously are not or you'd just go buy Rapid Review and Goljan wouldn't provide his own notes. He'd just give you addendums. P.S. I have all of Goljan's sources so don't think I'm anti-Goljan. He's awesome. :thumbup:

Example #2 where you discredit all opinions from OSUers because of where they go and in essence call us liars.

Pox in a box said:
I'd read his 500 page set. I'd take every word I hear from an OSU-COM student very lightly. Obviously, they read what Goljan gives them in class and aren't too familiar with other Goljan sources. The Rapid Review is NOT (I repeat NOT) the same as his notes he gives out in his classes or in Kaplan lectures. Rapid Review is a good book but it does not include a ton of the high yield information included in his lecture notes. In my opinion, these students who emphatically protest anyone using sources besides Rapid Review are just trying to keep their own education proprietary (and who can blame them with the cost of tuition in Oklahoma) and don't want you to get as much of an advantage (at a small fraction of what they pay to learn).

Example #3 where you tell Idio to his face that his opinion shouldn't matter since he goes to OSU

Pox in a box said:
No offense to you because you're a real straight shooter but you too are from OSU-COM. I agree his books do reflect but they are not exact. The lectures can not exactly mirror or else someone would just transcribe his lectures verbatim. The OP was wanting to know if the book would suffice without the lectures. I am well aware that the lectures and book supplement each other quite nicely. They are both good standalone but are even better when used in combo. Add his 500 pages of notes and you are golden. I've read both Rapid Review and his notes and there are differences, although some would call them minor or subtle. I feel they are worth obtaining.

Example #4 and the only one I'll quote that was in response to OSUdoc. You jumped off the bandwagon here and down his throat when all he stated was the RR would be a good book to use as a compliment for the bootleg audio, he did not in fact say that the notes in RR would follow verbatim with the audio, but that it would be the best one, and here you go off on a tangent.

Pox in a box said:
I'm convinced that Dr. Goljan has told all his medical students at OSU to tell everyone this information. Having listened to the audio several times, read the Goljan Rapid Review, read the Goljan notes he passes out at his lectures, and taken a peak at his STARS book...this advice is bull. The notes are not like the book and the book is not correlative with the audio. The notes do correlate with the audio, not in the correct order, but they do correlate. Anyone else agree?

and you then go on to some how correlate what was said to mean that the RR was identical to his Kaplan notes which no one had mentioned.

example #5

Pox in a box said:
Don't believe this crap. It's something that a lot of student from Goljan's school like to say. Ask people who don't go to OSU-COM this and you'll get an entirely different answer. He's a great lecturer and a pretty good writer, but remember which one he did first.

If you haven't figured it out, you're just as guilty as antagonizing OSUdoc as he is of the same to you. And frankly, it's unbecoming that you keep trying to play so innocent and try to absolve yourself of what you have typed in the past. From now on, it would be nice if you’d take a big breath and count to 10 before you click that reply button and ask yourself how will this help the decorum of this forum. If you’re just posting to be an ass to someone, stop, but if you wish to correct or disagree, do it in a manner in which you would like to be addressed.

Hernandez said:
I'll take Mr. Webster’s definition of plagiarism over yours any day.

Main Entry: pla·gia·rism
Pronunciation: 'plA-j&-"ri-z&m also -jE-&-
Function: noun
1 : an act or instance of plagiarizing

Main Entry: pla•gia•rize
Pronunciation: 'plA-j&-"rIz also -jE-&-
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -rized; -riz•ing
Etymology: plagiary
transitive senses : to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own : use (another's production) without crediting the source.​

and this is surprising coming from you since you're on record stating

at this point, I think you're intentionally trolling just to be argumentative.

:rolleyes: Let's do a quick review of your posting history to show we're you're wrong and where you've been singling out OSU posters and doing more than just calling them out for stating any opinion which states that no body should use the illegal bootlegs.

Example #1 where you Tell Dr. Mom that she's wrong, when in fact's she is far closer to being correct than you are

Example #2 where you discredit all opinions from OSUers because of where they go and in essence call us liars.

Example #3 where you tell Idio to his face that his opinion shouldn't matter since he goes to OSU

Example #4 and the only one I'll quote that was in response to OSUdoc. You jumped off the bandwagon here and down his throat when all he stated was the RR would be a good book to use as a compliment for the bootleg audio, he did not in fact say that the notes in RR would follow verbatim with the audio, but that it would be the best one, and here you go off on a tangent.

and you then go on to some how correlate what was said to mean that the RR was identical to his Kaplan notes which no one had mentioned.

example #5

If you haven't figured it out, you're just as guilty as antagonizing OSUdoc as he is of the same to you. And frankly, it's unbecoming that you keep trying to play so innocent and try to absolve yourself of what you have typed in the past. From now on, it would be nice if you’d take a big breath and count to 10 before you click that reply button and ask yourself how will this help the decorum of this forum. If you’re just posting to be an ass to someone, stop, but if you wish to correct or disagree, do it in a manner in which you would like to be addressed.

You really need to find something better to do with your time, Tom and Jerry

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's okay to post questions have been asked on the exam, why don't we start doing it ourselves? If we have to omit the answer choices to make it legit, I don't see the problem with that. If we create a list of a few hundred exam questions asked recently, it might really help out. If there is a loophole around the prohibition of talking about the questions you got in the exam in a public forum, or collecting the concepts tested in such questions (a loophole that Goljan obviously makes ample use of), then why don't we start a collective effort to do the same? All together, on a forum like SDN, it could have a tremendous impact.

DrPak said:
If it's okay to post questions have been asked on the exam, why don't we start doing it ourselves? If we have to omit the answer choices to make it legit, I don't see the problem with that. If we create a list of a few hundred exam questions asked recently, it might really help out. If there is a loophole around the prohibition of talking about the questions you got in the exam in a public forum, or collecting the concepts tested in such questions (a loophole that Goljan obviously makes ample use of), then why don't we start a collective effort to do the same? All together, on a forum like SDN, it could have a tremendous impact.

from usmle.org

Specific examples of irregular behavior include, but are not limited to, the following:

* seeking and/or obtaining unauthorized access to examination materials;
* falsifying information on application forms, Scheduling Permits, or other USMLE-related documents;
* taking an examination without being eligible for it or attempting to do so;
* impersonating an examinee or engaging someone else to take the examination for you;
* giving, receiving, or obtaining unauthorized assistance during the examination or attempting to do so;
* making notes of any kind during an examination except on the writing materials provided at the test center for this purpose;
* failing to adhere to any USMLE policy, procedure, or rule, including instructions of
the test center staff;
* disruptive or unprofessional behavior at a test center;
* possessing any unauthorized materials, including photographic equipment, or communication or recording devices, including electronic paging devices and cellular telephones, in the secure testing areas;
* altering or misrepresenting examination scores;
* any unauthorized reproduction by any means, including reconstruction through memorization, and/or dissemination of copyrighted examination materials by any means, including the Internet; and
* providing or attempting to provide any information, including that relating to examination content or answers, that may give or attempt to give unfair advantage to individuals who may be taking the examination.

Hernandez said:
If you don't like how OSUdoc jumps into every thread, then state you don't like how OSUdoc jumps into every thread and don't lump all of us in your broad statements in which you continually make to tell others not to listen to our opinions about books based solely on where we go to school or try to tell us we don't know about his books because we don't own/read/et them. And don't bother denying that you do that, here's an example and here here here

What did I say in these threads you've fished up that isn't good advice? I've just said to ask outside students that aren't from the same institution Goljan teaches at for unbiased opinions on whether the Goljan notes and the Rapid Review book are virtually one and the same. I have not ever brought you into a thread (in fact until about 4 days ago, I would have considered you new to this forum) and I only gave a word of caution to those who are unfamiliar with the fact that some of the people who are Rapid Review's greatest defenders may be because he is their local instructor. Let the forum decide if my opinion is off the mark. Peace.

DOctorJay said:
*providing or attempting to provide any information, including that relating to examination content or answers, that may give or attempt to give unfair advantage to individuals who may be taking the examination.
Isn't this what Goljan does when he tells us: "That was a board question".

Maybe this doesn't apply to him because he's not taking the boards... but still, that sort of defeats the whole purpose of the above quoted prohibition. It would amount to the same thing if someone else collected board questions and shared the content with us board takers.

Pox in a box said:
What did I say in these threads you've fished up that isn't good advice?

beyond the bigoted dismissal of advise simply because of where it's from? not much, and in fact I made mention that you're opinions have been helpful, but I think your loathing of OSUdoc has biased you.

Pox in a box said:
I've just said to ask outside students that aren't from the same institution Goljan teaches at for unbiased opinions on whether the Goljan notes and the Rapid Review book are virtually one and the same.

yet you fail to differentiate that we often say, RR is very close to our class notes, I've never compared RR to the kaplan notes. and beyond that, OSU students tend to do very well on boards, so that in and of itself should lend some credence that our class notes/RR should be a sufficient source for path review.

Pox in a box said:
I have not ever brought you into a thread (in fact until about 4 days ago, I would have considered you new to this forum)

then you've got a rather short memory. I've posted in this forum for over a year, just not consistently, and we've had words on very similar topics in the past where you always take the topic off keel by reinterpreting my statements about RR being very similar to our class notes as somehow having anything to do with the Kaplan notes and then insinuating that I'm lying because I'm from OSU, very professional by the way.

Pox in a box said:
and I only gave a word of caution to those who are unfamiliar with the fact that some of the people who are Rapid Review's greatest defenders may be because he is their local instructor. Let the forum decide if my opinion is off the mark. Peace.

but here I thought all you were doing was "call(ing) out students who are adamantly opposed to anyone using Goljan materials, not all OSU-COM students or OSU-COM in general." your story changes just as often as OSUdoc's

OSUdoc08 said:
Ironically, I just got back from going out and partying, to read your post.

If you did "just get back" then why is your post so good? Not antagonistic, no mistakes, doesn't sound like someone who's been out partying and just been outed as a dork. Sounds like a little late-night "pocket-pool" party to me... up in the stacks??? With your First Aid??? Hmmmm :laugh:

ps this is post #69 so how could I not be a little suggestoid of something a bit dirty? :D

Hernandez said:
beyond the bigoted dismissal of advise simply because of where it's from? not much, and in fact I made mention that you're opinions have been helpful, but I think your loathing of OSUdoc has biased you.

yet you fail to differentiate that we often say, RR is very close to our class notes, I've never compared RR to the kaplan notes. and beyond that, OSU students tend to do very well on boards, so that in and of itself should lend some credence that our class notes/RR should be a sufficient source for path review.

then you've got a rather short memory. I've posted in this forum for over a year, just not consistently, and we've had words on very similar topics in the past where you always take the topic off keel by reinterpreting my statements about RR being very similar to our class notes as somehow having anything to do with the Kaplan notes and then insinuating that I'm lying because I'm from OSU, very professional by the way.

but here I thought all you were doing was "call(ing) out students who are adamantly opposed to anyone using Goljan materials, not all OSU-COM students or OSU-COM in general." your story changes just as often as OSUdoc's

Since none of your comments are making much sense, I resign. Goodnight.

DrPak said:
Isn't this what Goljan does when he tells us: "That was a board question".

Maybe this doesn't apply to him because he's not taking the boards... but still, that sort of defeats the whole purpose of the above quoted prohibition. It would amount to the same thing if someone else collected board questions and shared the content with us board takers.

I think it does apply to him, and anyone else who has info regarding test questions or more famously "this exact picture was on the test guys". It just seems that no one has gone after him.

MissionComplete said:
If you did "just get back" then why is your post so good? Not antagonistic, no mistakes, doesn't sound like someone who's been out partying and just been outed as a dork. Sounds like a little late-night "pocket-pool" party to me... up in the stacks??? With your First Aid??? Hmmmm :laugh:

ps this is post #69 so how could I not be a little suggestoid of something a bit dirty? :D

I went to a bar with some law students, and then a house party, put on by a local bartender.

Joke all you want, as people who truly know me also know that I study primarily in sports bars.

P.S. GO MAVS ! !

DOctorJay said:
I think it does apply to him, and anyone else who has info regarding test questions or more famously "this exact picture was on the test guys". It just seems that no one has gone after him.
No, there's got to be some other explaination. I'm hoping there is, cuz then we'd be free to start our own thread full of exam questions. Can an OSU student ask him about this? If there's some loophole he knows about that we don't, I'd love for us to be able to use it.

Oh well, either way, those links are now down. Any chance that any of you guys thought to copy those pictures into word or anything? Too bad... I was hoping to review those in a week or two...!

quideam said:
Oh well, either way, those links are now down. Any chance that any of you guys thought to copy those pictures into word or anything? Too bad... I was hoping to review those in a week or two...!
one of the guys in this thread was able to rip them from the site. i asked about sending me a copy but he said his ISP had a tight upload cap. i don't know if there is a way around this, perhaps others are more knowledgeable about this type of thing. even if someone had a server and could host, i don't see how we could get around the upload cap. and i feel your pain; i, too, was going to wait and review them (even had them bookmarked, you know).

and if i can interject, also... the several clowns in this thread that keep arguing are quite amusing. you guys need to get some girlfriends or find some other hobbies. i was also unaware that the OSU legal team frequented this board.

keep up the good work, ladies...

DOctorJay said:

All the NBME cares about is people selling questions to Kaplan, et al. Anecdotal question descriptions have no bearing in their world. Furthermore, Goljan knows what is right and wrong and would not jeopardize any of his positions (test Q writer, professor, etc.) to reveal some privileged test info. You have to be smart enough to realize that most of what he says is "that's on boards, guys" which he says about 10000 times. Obviously it isnt all on boards, but thats a way to reinforce a concept. For someone who isnt the be-all, end-all for test prep, everyone sure has a lot of his test materials and cares a lot about him ;)

I never realized that posting those links would create such an uproar. I was just hoping to help people out. . . Anyways, I never got a chance to really go through the pics properly, so if anyone has got them saved, i'd like a copy too...

thanks

There is a strict contract that you must abide by if you take the USMLE Step 1 regarding dispersing information related to the exam. If you haven't taken it yet and think I'm kidding, just wait until you submit your last answer. I'm sure Goljan knows and has mended the rules, yet how could he be prosecuted? In short, he can't. I'm sure a lot of other professors do the same.

Im taking the exam on monday and I really wanted to go thru those slides before then. Can anyone help? :confused:

keeping-it-real said:
also... the several clowns in this thread that keep arguing are quite amusing. you guys need to get some girlfriends or find some other hobbies. i was also unaware that the OSU legal team frequented this board.

keep up the good work, ladies...

ok, i asked you guys before to relax and stop making it personal. this thread has run its course, the links are down and it seems like everyone has said what they wanted to say.

if you'd like to talk about copyright issues you're more than welcome to start a thread in the everyone forum. fyi, if someone is annoying you all you have to do is go into your user control panel and add them to your ignore list, you'll never have to see one of their posts again.

closing

Status
Not open for further replies.