BOTH Passed Comlex, Failed USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cookieee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of matching into FM AFTER the merger? Will I need to report my Step 1 score once it is all one system? Should I retake Step 1 or focus on shelves/level 2?

Members don't see this ad.

I'ma go on a limb and say you'll match into some FM program.......it's kinda the easiest one to get into...now will you get into Harvard that's different

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

What are my chances of matching into FM AFTER the merger? Will I need to report my Step 1 score once it is all one system? Should I retake Step 1 or focus on shelves/level 2?

I bet if you failed both 5 times and passed just comlex eventually - you are still going to match into FM. The question is why you even needed step 1 for FM?

I bet if you failed both 5 times and passed just comlex eventually - you are still going to match into FM. The question is why you even needed step 1 for FM?

I didn't decide on FM until later, I initially wanted to do peds. It was encouraged to take both tests since we don't know how the merger will affect if comlex scores will be accepted at all programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't decide on FM until later, I initially wanted to do peds. It was encouraged to take both tests since we don't know how the merger will affect if comlex scores will be accepted at all programs.
One of the pillars merger is build upon is that BOTH comlex and usmle will be accepted. It's a requirement actually and I bet no program will say they don't accept comlex. They will be in trouble, violating rules and I bet law suits will follow. They may try to not accept you for other reasons (low score, lack of good letters etc), but it won't be due to comlex. As it stands right now step 1 is only needed for those who are applying to a competitive specialties IMHO.

You missed the point dude, you can't get into HMS FM program only because it doesn't exist, not because of failed step 1 lol. "FM - anyone can get in" kinda thing.

Read his post again. I think you are confused.

Read his post again. I think you are confused.
You took his words literally - while it's clear for anyone he was generalizing - main idea was that it's easy to get into FM. That's number 1.
Then I joked about it and you still didn't get it - calling me confused lol. Fail #2.
smh

One of the pillars merger is build upon is that BOTH comlex and usmle will be accepted. It's a requirement actually and I bet no program will say they don't accept comlex. They will be in trouble, violating rules and I bet law suits will follow. They may try to not accept you for other reasons (low score, lack of good letters etc), but it won't be due to comlex. As it stands right now step 1 is only needed for those who are applying to a competitive specialties IMHO.

There are currently programs which require a Step score and will not accept only COMLEX. This may change in terms of them advertising it on FREIDA, but there is nothing stopping them from only taking Step scores in practice, especially if they accept DOs into their program.

It always helps to have Step scores as well. I'm in psych and there were certain programs I would have liked to apply to which openly stated they would not consider applicants for interviews without a Step 1 score. So many fields are still open, but certain programs within those fields will be closed off.

You took his words literally - while it's clear for anyone he was generalizing - main idea was that it's easy to get into FM. That's number 1.
Then I joked about it and you still didn't get it - calling me confused lol. Fail #2.
smh

Your comedy routine is terrible.

You don't know what you're talking about. There are plenty of programs that say they accept COMLEX when in reality they don't. And they never will. This is not just in competitive specialties.

Top pediatrics programs like Boston Children's Hospital and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia do not accept COMLEX in lieu the USMLE, and they never will. FM programs like Boston University School of Medicine say that they accept COMLEX but in reality they just do not, and that is well known to anyone who isn't living under a rock. Who is going to sue them? You? Get real.

I guess you are one of those DO students who has never worked with or knows anyone at an ACGME program and just selectively reads SDN all day for information about the match process. You're living in a dream world - hopefully you wake up soon.

Last edited:
Your comedy routine is terrible.

You don't know what you're talking about. There are plenty of programs that say they accept COMLEX when in reality they don't. And they never will. This is not just in competitive specialties.

Top pediatrics programs like Boston Children's Hospital and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia do not accept COMLEX in lieu the USMLE, and they never will. FM programs like Boston University School of Medicine say that they accept COMLEX but in reality they just do not, and that is well known to anyone who isn't living under a rock. Who is going to sue them? You? Get real.

I guess you are one of those DO students who has never worked with or knows anyone at an ACGME program and just selectively reads SDN all day for information about the match process. You're living in a dream world - hopefully you wake up soon.

It's the opposite actually, I rarely take any advise from sdn. It's not only me, folks in my class have a low interest in sdn due to profanity and pre-med mentality that is in abundance here. With some posts in this thread I can see why they think this way. I noticed that many similar pre-med mentality students actually become a normal persons after getting their crap kicked out in residency. Here's hope that residency forum is not like this one. Hopefully you can too become a better person that would be actually nice to talk to.

Reactions: 1 user