Pass on IM. What are my chances for a top anesthesiology program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousMDStudent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title sums it up. MS3 at a T15. First rotation was FM and I got a High Pass. Second rotation was IM and I got a Pass. It was a major lesson and I am adjusting to do better on future rotations and am seeing some signs of improvement.

I came into 3rd year thinking all I needed to do was be personable and nice according to all the advice I read and heard.

I learned the hard way that, at my school, an attending's clinical knowledge grade of you essentially equates to your final evaluation score. A 3/5 clinical knowledge is a pass overall and a 5/5 clinical knowledge is a honors. So the reason I'm not doing so well is my knowledge base is weak due to ineffective studying outside and before clerkships which is leading me to get high passes on my evals and get a below average shelf score which is averaged out to a pass in IM. This is disappointing to me but a very big lesson as I have learned from this mistake and have adjusted to a new study strategy.

I am currently on Peds and finished my first week and received honors on my evals so far because I studied hard before my first week and was ready for the pimp questions.

My question is: Can I still match at a top anesthesiology residency program if I work hard and try to honor/high pass the rest of my clerkships, do well on STEP 2, do well on an IM subI and do well on my anesthesiology rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

Title sums it up. MS3 at a T15. First rotation was FM and I got a High Pass. Second rotation was IM and I got a Pass. It was a major lesson and I am adjusting to do better on future rotations and am seeing some signs of improvement.

I came into 3rd year thinking all I needed to do was be personable and nice according to all the advice I read and heard.

I learned the hard way that, at my school, an attending's clinical knowledge grade of you essentially equates to your final evaluation score. A 3/5 clinical knowledge is a pass overall and a 5/5 clinical knowledge is a honors. So the reason I'm not doing so well is my knowledge base is weak due to ineffective studying outside and before clerkships which is leading me to get high passes on my evals and get a below average shelf score which is averaged out to a pass in IM. This is disappointing to me but a very big lesson as I have learned from this mistake and have adjusted to a new study strategy.

I am currently on Peds and finished my first week and received honors on my evals so far because I studied hard before my first week and was ready for the pimp questions.

My question is: Can I still match at a top anesthesiology residency program if I work hard and try to honor/high pass the rest of my clerkships, do well on STEP 2, do well on an IM subI and do well on my anesthesiology rotations?
89% match rate for USMD for anesthesia, my non-top 15 program sends people to top anesthesia programs. you'll be fine lmao